What it REALLY takes to make it to The PGA Tour

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What it REALLY takes to make it to The PGA Tour-day event

Originally posted by mpare View Post
    You're right. Perhaps they should take their games against PGA Tour players. They don't give strokes either.
    Good one Mike, and I know amateurs who wouldn't ask for strokes against better players.

He would have loved to play a match against a tour pro. He was pumped. We had one lined up years ago with a CANTour player, and we got stood up (he called and said he had a toothache). My guy had 5 birdies on the back 9 while playing with me, ha, ha. We found the tour guy later on the range. Then I proceeded to beat him in a putting contest. He walked away after I was up 2:1, as he couldn't get the equalizer.
    Last edited by TourIQ; Mar 22, 2017, 11:06 PM.
    Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
    Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
    Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Re: What it REALLY takes to make it to The PGA Tour

Originally posted by goshawk View Post
      Several things impressed me while playing with the two tour players in Houston.

1. They didn't miss many GIR's, and when they did it was almost a guarantee that they would be within a few feet on their recovery shot.
      I guess neither of them was Graham DeLaet

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post
        So, you'd prefer to play for money on an uneven playing field?

If it's a player who is better than me, but not by much, I'm not asking for shots. If it's someone who is without a doubt going to beat me, than I'm just going to play a round of golf with them. If that player wants to play a match and offer me shots, fine, but I'm not making the challenge, nor am I asking for shots.
        "It took me 17 years to get 3000 hits. I did it in one afternoon on the golf course."
        --Hank Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by Shankapotamus86 View Post
          If it's a player who is better than me, but not by much, I'm not asking for shots. If it's someone who is without a doubt going to beat me, than I'm just going to play a round of golf with them. If that player wants to play a match and offer me shots, fine, but I'm not making the challenge, nor am I asking for shots.
          Understood. Your rationale makes sense, and it's the reason I qualified my question by being specific about playing for money.

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post
            Understood. Your rationale makes sense, and it's the reason I qualified my question by being specific about playing for money.
            And a great way to qualify it.

My tone might change now that I'm all grown up and my playing days are long gone. Used to bother me that I'm going out to shoot somewhere around par and another play who is going to shoot between 90 and 100 wants to play for cash, but I need to spot them 18 to 25 shots.... nope!
            "It took me 17 years to get 3000 hits. I did it in one afternoon on the golf course."
            --Hank Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by ThruTheGreen View Post
              Not a short story to read but an interesting insight from a young aspiring Pro who just gave up the dream. Played one year on the PGA Tour Canada but realized that These Guys Are Too Good.

http://www.golf.com/knockdown/2017/0...live-his-dream
              Thanks, good story. His degree in English could well pay off.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Originally posted by Shankapotamus86 View Post
                And a great way to qualify it.

My tone might change now that I'm all grown up and my playing days are long gone. Used to bother me that I'm going out to shoot somewhere around par and another play who is going to shoot between 90 and 100 wants to play for cash, but I need to spot them 18 to 25 shots.... nope!
                Fair enough, but what's your basic objection to spotting them at least some shots? After all, if you're going to shoot par (presumably around 72) and they're going to shoot between 90-100, wouldn't you expect to beat them straight up by approximately that margin?

Comment

Originally posted by mtshapcott View Post
                  Sort of a tangent here, but did anyone notice that Garret Rank officiated the Leafs-Blue Jackets game tonight? I thought he was a linesman but the commentator referred to him as a referee.

Rank won the Canadian mid am for the past 2 years. He also played in the Canadian Open last year and was something like 9th place after two rounds. I have no idea what his index is, but he is clearly not "completely out of the league" with the PGA guys.

I realize tour pros are good, but some of the comments here are a bit far fetched. Rank (and Jared duToit, another amateur) beat more than half the field at a PGA tour event.

MIC Drop

Couldn't agree more...Hard to argue with that statement.
                  Golf, eat, sleep, work and re-peat

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                  X