/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

SL irons with steel shafts - progressive flex?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL irons with steel shafts - progressive flex?

I'm probably going to build a set of Pinhawk SL irons, likely with assistance from Jim Klassen at Kona. I'm going to build 5 or 6 iron through GW and am thinking of having progressive flex. My swing is slowing down (losing strength, flexibility) and I've always been a low ball hitter (I hit a 9 and -- except for the distance -- playing partners ask "Was that a 6?") and so more and more I believe I can benefit from less shaft flex. (OK, I have an early release but that's a whole other story!)

I'm on a budget and have already bought steel FST 115 A/R combo shafts. I'm thinking of soft stepping them from A or A-R at 5/6, down to full R at the GW.

(I may get the shafts sorted by flex prior to doing anything.)

Thoughts?
    WITB: clubs, balls, tees, Advil and a candlestick (just in case)

Re: SL irons with steel shafts - progressive flex?

Originally posted by ManFromMoffat View Post
    I'm probably going to build a set of Pinhawk SL irons, likely with assistance from Jim Klassen at Kona. I'm going to build 5 or 6 iron through GW and am thinking of having progressive flex. My swing is slowing down (losing strength, flexibility) and I've always been a low ball hitter (I hit a 9 and -- except for the distance -- playing partners ask "Was that a 6?") and so more and more I believe I can benefit from less shaft flex. (OK, I have an early release but that's a whole other story!)

I'm on a budget and have already bought steel FST 115 A/R combo shafts. I'm thinking of soft stepping them from A or A-R at 5/6, down to full R at the GW.

(I may get the shafts sorted by flex prior to doing anything.)

Thoughts?

When you tip trim shafts you are stiffening up the tip section to control trajectory.

so yes you are correct that trimming less from the tip section ( than the manufacturer recommends ) will provide you with a softer tipped shaft and as a result should help with your trajectory needs. Feel will also be improved.

when you say softstepping I assume you mean than you would tip the shafts 1/2 inch less ( which is typically the difference between successive shafts) I'm not sure if this will be adequate or not?

I've built sets for slow swing speed golfers where I barely trimmed any shaft tip.

You might need to experiment a bit. Build the 5 iron and maybe trim it to A flex , see what it does and adjust after that. Softer flex in the 5 isn't likely going to hurt you based on what you say. Becuase they are single length with all the same head weights you can always pull the shaft from the 5 and try it in other heads say the 9 iron and see what you think. If you feel you need less launch, then adjust the tip trim based on that.

Fwiw, in my Wishon's ( not SL) that I built, my long irons are R/F, mid -short irons stiff, wedges X.

Slowing SS and Early release are an issue which will impact launch , softer tip will be good for that What is your swing speed ? And what is your tempo / transition like ?
    Last edited by Weirfan; Mar 28, 2017, 02:13 PM.
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

As Peter said above.
      You might want to consider FST90. Only $3.00 more per shaft. Lighter usually brings about a little more speed and a little more height.
      If it were me I would just stick the 5 iron shaft without tipping it and then try it. If that does not bring about the desired results then it can easily be pulled and tipped and extended later on down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Tintin View Post
        As Peter said above.
        You might want to consider FST90. Only $3.00 more per shaft. Lighter usually brings about a little more speed and a little more height.
        If it were me I would just stick the 5 iron shaft without tipping it and then try it. If that does not bring about the desired results then it can easily be pulled and tipped and extended later on down the road.
        I was also going to suggest the lighter shafts but saw that he already purchased the 115.

After looking at the trim instructions for FST 115 , I might also be inclined to even trim less than the suggested amount for A flex in the 5. ( not sure what the pinhawk weights ar but if it's a 7iron weight , the trim is 3 3/4 inch for A flex. I might try 2- 2.5 inches and like Andre says can always extend if more tipping is needed. Or buy an extra shaft for experimentation.
        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

As Peter said above.
          Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
          I was also going to suggest the lighter shafts but saw that he already purchased the 115.

After looking at the trim instructions for FST 115 , I might also be inclined to even trim less than the suggested amount for A flex in the 5. ( not sure what the pinhawk weights ar but if it's a 7iron weight , the trim is 3 3/4 inch for A flex. I might try 2- 2.5 inches and like Andre says can always extend if more tipping is needed. Or buy an extra shaft for experimentation.
          Thanks guys for your thoughts. I have 9 shafts and in combination with other ideas, at least one is probably up for grabs. I recall a couple of Jack Nicklaus comments from way back (I think from one of his Golf My Way books), that one should 1) play the most flexible shafts possible, while still being able to control the ball and 2) consider progressive flexes (via stop stepping) for the longer irons.

I am not too proud to experiment with a soft flex. After hitting a towering (for me) shot, I can always say "This XX flex feels just a little boardy to me".

Comment

Don't sweat it about playing A flex. It's all relative. My SL set comes in at 286 cpms at 37 inches of length. On a frequency chart it would be considered a L flex on one and on another a 5.0. In my reg foursome
            a guy hits it a mile high ,the other high and me lower than them. Go with what works and suits you is my advice.

Comment

Becuase they are single length with all the same head weights you can always pull the shaft from the 5 and try it in other heads say the 9 iron and see what you think. If you feel you need less launch, then adjust the tip trim based on that.
              Missed this the first time around. An excellent way to do it. Thanks.

Comment

They're listed at 272 grams. Your suggestion is as good as any. I'm pretty sure Jim can sort it out for him
                Last edited by Tintin; Mar 28, 2017, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Don't sweat it about playing A flex. It's all relative. My SL set comes in at 286 cpms at 37 inches of length. On a frequency chart it would be considered a L flex on one and on another a 5.0. In my reg foursome
                  a guy hits it a mile high ,the other high and me lower than them. Go with what works and suits you is my advice.
                  I'm currently playing Adams A12OS irons. My 8 iron is the stock 36.75" long and that's probably what I'm going to build the SL set to. I'm going to keep my 4/5/6 hybrids for now and so to start may just build the SLs in 6 - GW. I was going to increase the 8/9/PW/GW lofts by 0.5/1.0/1.5/2.0 degrees right out of the gate (the stock gaps are 4 degrees and I wanted to increase them to 4.5) but Jim has suggested just leaving them at the outset.

I'm excited about giving the SLs a go.

Comment

Slowing SS and Early release are an issue which will impact launch , softer tip will be good for that What is your swing speed ? And what is your tempo / transition like ?
                    Based on the recently-posted WRX thread on carry distances, I'd say my driver clubhead speed is 87 - 89 mph. Unfortunately, I'd say my tempo is a bit inconsistent. I have a very short swing (lack of flexibility) and so sometimes thrash around a bit as I search for distance.

Comment

Originally posted by ManFromMoffat View Post
                      I'm currently playing Adams A12OS irons. My 8 iron is the stock 36.75" long and that's probably what I'm going to build the SL set to. . I was going to increase the 8/9/PW/GW lofts by 0.5/1.0/1.5/2.0 degrees right out of the gate (the stock gaps are 4 degrees and I wanted to increase them to 4.5) but Jim has suggested just leaving them at the outset.

I'm excited about giving the SLs a go.
                      Don't assume 36.75 is right. It might or might not be. If anything have him build one club at 37.25 and try that with a split grip with no cap.( which can be removed in an instant- Then grip down and try again until it feels right.
                      Easier done before than after

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                      X