/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Lessons for absolute beginner? Worth it?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lessons for absolute beginner? Worth it?

So my wife has expressed interest in learning golf and is even willing to take lessons.

The question I have is. She's probably swung a club a handful of times. (She has a petite lady's strata set) I've taken her to the range twice and she's been out on a course like once.

Is it worth it to get her some lessons yet or should I just keep taking her to the range a few more times and get her more comfortable first? Or are lessons still beneficial even though she still barely knows how to setup and bold a club?

Re: Lessons for absolute beginner? Worth it?

Why don't you just teach her?

Comment

Originally posted by Element View Post
      Why don't you just teach her?
      are you a divorce lawyer by chance?
      MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
        So my wife has expressed interest in learning golf and is even willing to take lessons.

The question I have is. She's probably swung a club a handful of times. (She has a petite lady's strata set) I've taken her to the range twice and she's been out on a course like once.

Is it worth it to get her some lessons yet or should I just keep taking her to the range a few more times and get her more comfortable first? Or are lessons still beneficial even though she still barely knows how to setup and bold a club?
        I'd get her a couple, at least to learn the basics - grip, stance, posture, etc.. Sometimes instructions are better served coming from a pro than a close relative. Also, there are a lot of parts to the game so irons, driver, putting, chipping are all things that people need a basic idea about to get started.
        MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

This is a tough one. I think you should continue with the range and some 9 hole outings for a little while. Teach her the basics, grip, posture, and weight transfer. If she truly enjoys hitting golf balls and playing on the course then lessons could be an option. You might want to try a ladies clinic for her? Its a great place to find out if she enjoys the game and she will learn the social aspect of golf also. I have been trying to get my wife to play for years. Shes actually pretty decent, but lacks the urge to play or practice. GL Cheers
          M1 430 9.5 Speeder 661 X
          M1 3 H/L Speeder 757 X
          Mizuno MP-4 3-PW
          Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60
          TA Tru-Milled 303SS

Comment

You should absolutely start with a lesson or two. The better teachers have taken some time to learn how to say the same thing 8 different ways until it clicks with their student, something most people don't have the knowledge or patience to do. ANY new player will benefit from lessons on fundamentals from an established teacher.

Comment

In my opinion this is the best time to partake in lessons. The fundamentals mentioned above, Grip, Posture, Weight transfer, Alignment ect ect absolutely never leave us even as professionals. My thoughts are these are the most important aspects to be taught by a professional, and although we may all feel capable of teaching someone these concepts, most of us are years removed from when we learned them and could be relaying false or inaccurate information.

The simple truth is not every golfer understands the grip to the extent they think they do. There is a immense amount more depth in these topics when talking to a Pro as they understand how everything ties into the big picture, and ultimately every single thing you do comes together to create the big picture.

If you know she has the interest I would get her started off on the right foot and get some lessons on the basics !
              Hamilton's Only Indoor Golf Centre

Connect with us here:
              www.topofyourgame.ca
              www.facebook.com/topofyourgame
              www.ryancorbingolf.com
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flfl2LsJ8hg

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post
                are you a divorce lawyer by chance?
                Now THAT is funny!

Comment

Originally posted by TopofYourGame View Post
                  In my opinion this is the best time to partake in lessons. The fundamentals mentioned above, Grip, Posture, Weight transfer, Alignment ect ect absolutely never leave us even as professionals. My thoughts are these are the most important aspects to be taught by a professional, and although we may all feel capable of teaching someone these concepts, most of us are years removed from when we learned them and could be relaying false or inaccurate information.

The simple truth is not every golfer understands the grip to the extent they think they do. There is a immense amount more depth in these topics when talking to a Pro as they understand how everything ties into the big picture, and ultimately every single thing you do comes together to create the big picture.

If you know she has the interest I would get her started off on the right foot and get some lessons on the basics !
                  Well of course the pros understand how the basics contribute to the big picture. Having the beginner enjoy the atmosphere of golf would be most important before the endless tips and drills and lessons to endure. A beginner will have no idea how to understand the big picture, because there is no big picture, just an interest. Bring your wife to the range, split a bucket, tell her she has a great swing, then bring her out for a drink and an app at your local watering hole.. after a few range outings with her, you will know if golf is something she will have fun with. If she shows more interest and you notice she really wants to get better, thats the time to sign her up for a Ladies clinic. Then, private lessons if she is still really interested. I wouldnt put too much pressure on her right away, sometimes lessons can do that. She will expect to be "good" after a couple lessons.. we all know this is impossible. Make it social to begin with, just my opinion
                  M1 430 9.5 Speeder 661 X
                  M1 3 H/L Speeder 757 X
                  Mizuno MP-4 3-PW
                  Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60
                  TA Tru-Milled 303SS

Comment

I agree with Ryan. There are numerous reasons why lessons would benefit your wife, one of the most prevalent is a trained set of eyes to help her get on the right track from the beginning. In my experience, getting lessons from a close relative/spouse is a definite challenge, primarily due to familiarity.
                    U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

Not worth it imo,range time with your better half is time we'll spent and will reap rewards

Comment

So my wife has expressed interest in learning golf and is even willing to take lessons. The question I have is. She's probably swung a club a handful of times. (She has a petite lady's strata set) I've taken her to the range twice and she's been out on a course like once.
                        Definitely yes, and a very good place for her to start would be with Dave Johnston be Bloomington Downs in Aurora, a very good beginners instructor.
                        Check him out here: https://twitter.com/golfswingrepair

Or if she would prefer a lady and wants to get an early start she could try Clara Cho at the
                        Markham Dome, http://www.markhamgolfdome.com/rates.php

She is new there, so not listed on their website yet, choclara77@gmail.com; she will also maybe be back at Thornhill GC in the Summer:
                        Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

If you do get her lessons... I suggest you don't...

If you do, make sure you pick an instructor that you know and trust.

Put her with the wrong person and fill her head with nonsense and you risk loosing a playing partner forever.

I assume she's not a Golf Nut, just a wife of one. She's not going to work on her grip for hours while watching the Golf Channel.

Just show her how to hit the ball in the air towards. Ish the target, if you're not comfortable with your skill level to do that, make sure you find the right guy/girl.

Comment

Originally posted by Hope469 View Post
                            Well of course the pros understand how the basics contribute to the big picture. Having the beginner enjoy the atmosphere of golf would be most important before the endless tips and drills and lessons to endure. A beginner will have no idea how to understand the big picture, because there is no big picture, just an interest. Bring your wife to the range, split a bucket, tell her she has a great swing, then bring her out for a drink and an app at your local watering hole.. after a few range outings with her, you will know if golf is something she will have fun with. If she shows more interest and you notice she really wants to get better, thats the time to sign her up for a Ladies clinic. Then, private lessons if she is still really interested. I wouldnt put too much pressure on her right away, sometimes lessons can do that. She will expect to be "good" after a couple lessons.. we all know this is impossible. Make it social to begin with, just my opinion
                            Hope469, Upon review I think your correct. I reread the original post and for whatever reason while writing this had the idea his wife had already expressed interest beyond what she had. I will agree with you there is no point in getting instruction unless the pupil is committed to playing the game and has the desire to improve. As soon as the desire to improve is there, I still feel it is best to receive instruction from a Professional. I have witness all to many "lessons" from friends or family.

For now though.... Driving Range and a few cocktails
                            Hamilton's Only Indoor Golf Centre

Connect with us here:
                            www.topofyourgame.ca
                            www.facebook.com/topofyourgame
                            www.ryancorbingolf.com
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flfl2LsJ8hg

Comment

Originally posted by TopofYourGame View Post
                              Hope469, Upon review I think your correct. I reread the original post and for whatever reason while writing this had the idea his wife had already expressed interest beyond what she had. I will agree with you there is no point in getting instruction unless the pupil is committed to playing the game and has the desire to improve. As soon as the desire to improve is there, I still feel it is best to receive instruction from a Professional. I have witness all to many "lessons" from friends or family.

For now though.... Driving Range and a few cocktails
                              Absolutely, yes sir, golf must be taught by a professional no doubt. The ability to convey information smoothly and strategically to the student is paramount. It is the most important and most difficult aspect of teaching. Learning the students personality and way of thinking all while trying to teach a very difficult body movement and ideal can be very demanding to say the least. It is definitely very rewarding for both when all works out and results are positive. Cheers and thanks for the kind reply
                              M1 430 9.5 Speeder 661 X
                              M1 3 H/L Speeder 757 X
                              Mizuno MP-4 3-PW
                              Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60
                              TA Tru-Milled 303SS

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays