Collapse

"Shafts Don't Matter - Strike Does"

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Shafts Don't Matter - Strike Does"

There may not be much of a difference for him, but for the rest of us mere mortals, a difference in the shaft flex can make a huge difference. Two examples will help make my point. I once played a course in Winnipeg at the end of the day. The only rental set they had available were ladies right handed clubs. I spent 18 holes hitting Billy Casper like hooks and draws. My preferred shot pattern at that time was a fade. On another occasion a friend and I exchanged our 975D drivers heads. His had more loft. We asked GT to pull the heads and switch them. At the time my preferred shot pattern with the 975D was a draw. However, with the "new" club all I could do was hit a fade, and not a very powerful one. I discovered that the tip of my shaft had been damaged when the head was removed. Without telling me, one of the workers then tip trimmed the shaft by almost an inch causing a change in its playing chacteristics.

I acknowledge that this is only anecdotal evidence, but I've had enough experience over the years hitting clubs to say that for me the playing characteristics of the shaft make a difference.
    Last edited by mpare; Mar 25, 2017, 02:35 PM.
    This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Originally posted by mpare View Post

I acknowledge that this is only anecdotal evidence, but I've had enough experience over the years hitting clubs to say that for me the playing characteristics of the shaft makes a difference.
      I just seem a gain of 33 avg yards with a simple fitting from a shaft so not sure what is going on here.. unless all shafts have same characteristics aside from flex.

With all the technology in equipment these days especially shafts, low/ high launch, spin, dispersion etc. How can he say there is no difference. Rubish
      In the bag:
      -TaylorMade R15 driver/ aldila nv 2kxv 65g x-stiff
      -Cleveland Classic 3 Wood strong 14*
      -TaylorMade Burner 2.0 5-PW irons
      -Nike Vr 58, 54, 52 deg. wedge
      -Custom milled putter from 303SS

Comment

Do an unscientific test and you will get unscientific results.

Lot's of information out there and much is conflicting.
        I'll choose to play a stiffer shaft that allows for consistent predictable shots, when I'm playing well. But not so stiff that I can't feel the head of the club through my swing.

Comment

Run those videos by Phatchris and he's going to have a fit.
          Here's one for you VO:

Comment

Originally posted by mpare View Post
            There may not be much of a difference for him, but for the rest of us mere mortals, a difference in the shaft flex can make a huge difference. Two examples will help make my point. I once played a course in Winnipeg at the end of the day. The only rental set they had available were ladies right handed clubs. I spent 18 holes hitting Billy Casper like hooks and draws. My preferred shot pattern at that time was a fade. On another occasion a friend and I exchanged our 975D drivers heads. His had more loft. We asked GT to pull the heads and switch them. At the time my preferred shot pattern with the 975D was a draw. However, with the "new" club all I could do was hit a fade, and not a very powerful one. I discovered that the tip of my shaft had been damaged when the head was removed. Without telling me, one of the workers then tip trimmed the shaft by almost an inch causing a change in its playing chacteristics.

I acknowledge that this is only anecdotal evidence, but I've had enough experience over the years hitting clubs to say that for me the playing characteristics of the shaft make a difference.
            This video confirms pretty much what you've experienced:

Comment

Might I point out that Nick even acknowledges results will vary.
              Attached Files
              Taylormade Stealth Plus 9o Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
              Titleist TSR3 15o Fujikura Rombax P95x
              Titleist TSi3 Hybrid 18 Fujikura Ventus Blue 10x
              Titleist T200 4 Iron Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 90x
              Titleist T100 5-PW DG AMT White X100
              Vokey SM8 50, 54 & 58
              Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Comment

Originally posted by TeeMoney View Post
                Might I point out that Nick even acknowledges results will vary.
                The problem is that's not the argument he is selling. He unequivocally states that shaft flex doesn't matter.

It does.

Comment

Originally posted by Bern View Post
                  Do an unscientific test and you will get unscientific results.
                  It's a random test of a small sample.

It's like watching Rory pound a drive 400 yds, looking at the clubhead brand and ordering on online thinking "this will give me HUGE drives".

Unless you're Rory, or you're extremely lucky, it's not going to be optimal for you. It might *happen* to be a great combo for you - kinda like the ladies' shafts were the best of the 3 tried by Nick Taylor.

The problem is that's not the argument he is selling. He unequivocally states that shaft flex doesn't matter.

It does.
                  The odd thing is he ends each video asking viewers to drop by the shop for a (apparently useless!) fitting. I don't follow what he's trying to achieve here.
                  "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                  ...Iggy

Comment

I hate the term "shaft flex" it is antiquated , confusing and misleading. We've been told by research and fitting experts years ago to disregard it in favour of shaft stiffness profile, yet it is still used.

What does shaft flex mean ? Stiffness? Stiffness where the tip, butt, mid section, 2 of these 3, all 3 sections? Is a butt stiff shaft the same as tip stiff shaft? Will they feel and play the same, they are both stiff?

What criteria are used to assign a stiffness letter designation to one shaft made by company A versus one shaft from company B? Why is there not agreement and a consistent criteria used to quantify stiffness from one company to another ?

Why with two identically marked and labelled shafts from the same company can one shaft play and feel completely different than the other?

Why will a shaft play and feel completely different in one driver head versus another?

I've run out of rhetorical questions ..

Forget shaft flex, shaft flex profile is what is important. I don't think that there are any absolutes . The video makes the claim that shaft flex does not matter , others say it does. Wishon has said that for those with a very early release of the wrists in the swing that shaft flex will have minimal impact on performance but still feels that a proper shaft flex profile for that swing is to be considered by the fitter.

As someone who uses different "flexes "in my custom irons and similar in my woods, flex matching for the head configuration and desired trajectories of my shots is important . Absolute flex across my set is unimportant. I like R/Fin my long irons, stiff in the mid and short and X in my wedges. Likewise in my woods , the "flex "I use is matched to the loft and launch characteristics of the head I am using.
                    The whole concept of shaft tipping by clubfitters is to stiffen a tip in order to manipulate trajectory. I use Xflex in my 5w, R in my 3w and anywhere from R to X in my drivers (9-10.5 *) trajectory and feel are the two main parameters most impacted by stiffness , with trajectory changes can also come distance variances. Modern technology has helped us fine tune these for optimal results.

So in the end, shaft stiffness profile can , IMO definitely make a difference. Either experiment to see what works for you ( expensive but more fun) or go see a good fitter and have them help you.
                    3 golfers with the exact same swing speed might all think they need the same "shaft flex" but if they all have different swing characteristics ( transition, tempo, release) likely need different stiffness profiles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	1
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	2470760
                    Last edited by Weirfan; Mar 26, 2017, 10:49 AM.
                    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

This^^^^

To make it simpler:

You hit the ball too high- Go with tip stiff low torque
                      Your misses go to the right-Go with softer tip higher torque
                      You hit the ball too low- Go with soft tip higher torque
                      Your misses to the left- Go with tip stiff low torque.

Comment

Originally posted by Tintin View Post
                        This^^^^

To make it simpler:

smart azz
                        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

this shaft debate explains why Detroit builds cars with express feminine features like automatic transmission, heated seats, and leave the GPS as a manly option.
                          things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

stiffest and lightest shaft your can afford is the ONLY SHAFT FITTING PARAMETER for all golfers. The rest is just "jibber,jabber".
                            Last edited by veryold; Mar 26, 2017, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
                              stiffest and lightest shaft your can afford is the ONLY SHAFT FITTING PARAMETER for all golfers. The rest is just "jibber,jabber".
                              You seem stuck in your ways, you touted this philosophy years ago when you joined this site. It's still wrong.

Comment

You seem stuck in your ways, you touted this philosophy years ago when you joined this site. It's still wrong.
                                As Stefan Molyneux would famously say: "this is not an argument"
                                But thanks for keeping track of my posts, i'm honored !
                                Cheers !
                                Last edited by veryold; Mar 26, 2017, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X