Collapse

My ADHD is getting the better of me.... Or game not travelling well?/

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My ADHD is getting the better of me.... Or game not travelling well?/

Oops, posted in wrong section , should be 19th hole......

Yes settling into my club and enjoy late afternoon rounds (have this work affliction that precludes long drawn out golf days). Playing quite well at times and idyllic in terms of often on my own, listening to my ipod, relaxed moving at my pace.

My ADHD (self-diagnosed) seems to get worse and worse though. Maybe it is playing more and thinking there are other things I should be doing or just boredom, but when I have been out in foursomes or playing rounds that drag even a little bit I start getting agitated and the game seems to go south quick.

I play one way for the most part, moving forward with purpose. Usually fairly straight and very little need for practice swings or pondering shots on the course.

Friday I played with a member and it got a little slow and game fell apart near the end, but not bad. Monday took a guest and by no means did we rush and played really well (could have been a PB with a putt or two and eliminate 2 minor mistakes)?.

Tuesday though I went to Cherry Downs and game fell apart with my friend (non-golfer and slowish). Lost 6 balls (haven't lost 6 at my club all year). Searching some for his balls, waiting for his routine (and maybe a sideways shot), slow to get to the next tee..... The prior week a longer round at Angus Glen, again an inordinate amount of lost balls and just malaise on the course. Also another "away" game that I found slow and I was frustrated.

Yes got to take some deep breaths and enjoy the day. The worry is whether it is playing more golf (thus not concentrating at times), my impatience or is it playing other courses that has resulted in these less then fun games......
    Last edited by gotogolf; Jul 28, 2016, 07:46 AM.

Re: My ADHD is getting the better of me.... Or game not travelling well?/

Originally posted by gotogolf View Post
    Oops, posted in wrong section , should be 19th hole......

Yes settling into my club and enjoy late afternoon rounds (have this work affliction that precludes long drawn out golf days). Playing quite well at times and idyllic in terms of often on my own, listening to my ipod, relaxed moving at my pace.

My ADHD (self-diagnosed) seems to get worse and worse though. Maybe it is playing more and thinking there are other things I should be doing or just boredom, but when I have been out in foursomes or playing rounds that drag even a little bit I start getting agitated and the game seems to go south quick.

I play one way for the most part, moving forward with purpose. Usually fairly straight and very little need for practice swings or pondering shots on the course.

Friday I played with a member and it got a little slow and game fell apart near the end, but not bad. Monday took a guest and by no means did we rush and played really well (could have been a PB with a putt or two and eliminate 2 minor mistakes)?.

Tuesday though I went to Cherry Downs and game fell apart with my friend (non-golfer and slowish). Lost 6 balls (haven't lost 6 at my club all year). Searching some for his balls, waiting for his routine (and maybe a sideways shot), slow to get to the next tee..... The prior week a longer round at Angus Glen, again an inordinate amount of lost balls and just malaise on the course. Also another "away" game that I found slow and I was frustrated.

Yes got to take some deep breaths and enjoy the day. The worry is whether it is playing more golf (thus not concentrating at times), my impatience or is it playing other courses that has resulted in these less then fun games......
    Sounds to me like you are playing too much and not enjoying your time on the course.
    Callaway Blayne Standbag:
    TaylorMade M1 9.5*
    TaylorMade Burner Superfast 2.0 3w 15*
    TaylorMade R15 5w 19*
    TaylorMade RBZ Stage 1 TP 3 Hybrid
    Taykormade Speesburner 5 Hybrid
    5-AW TaylorMade RocketBladez
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 - 54* and 58*
    Scott Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke 3.0 Slim
    Srixion Z-Star XV

Comment

Originally posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
      Sounds to me like you are playing too much and not enjoying your time on the course.
      Could have been the case Tuesday..... Will see what happens the next few times out (or at another course).......

Comment

I'm not sure if this related or even helps. I'm a 9 Handicap. Over the last few years, I have taken lessons, played in some tournaments (local fun tours) etc and got a bit better and more experienced/confident. As this happed, little things stopped bothering me. I just play with the comfort and confidence that what happens on the course around me happens and it doesn't in the big picture affect my game. I am prepared as I can be to play and don't worry anymore about the stuff around me. If someone is playing terrible, just smile and try to help them out a bit but you can't be their saviour either. Just worry about yourself and your game and know you have done your best to prepare for this round and the outcome is what it is that day. Things around you shouldn't affect your round. No good golfer ever played terrible around me when I was sucking so neither should you. Good luck. This game is terribly mental.
        Killer21
        M2 Oban Devotion 6S
        Adams XTD 3, 5 wood Matrix Red Tie 7S
        Adams Pro 20* Hybrid Aldila Tour Red R
        Adams Pro DHY 24* Hybrid Aldila Tour Blue R
        Adams XTD Irons KBS C-Taper Lite R
        Titeleist SM4 Vokey 54*
        Titleist SM5 5Vokey 58* W DG Spinner
        Macgregor Bobby Grace 6.4 K Putter
        Bridgestone RXS

Comment

I've definitely dealt with the same issues so I can relate. I'm pretty obsessed with golf and have played 88 rounds so far this season. I've been working on trying not to let slow groups ahead of me affect my play but it can be tough.

It's a work in progress but I've definitely let it ruin many games unfortunately. It's about positive thinking and being thankful that we get to play this great game as much as we do. It's not always easy to be in this mind frame though.

Comment

I find waiting the extra minute or two,letting the mind relax then grab a club and hit,standing club in hand isn't good.

Comment

I suffer from the same thing. I would recommend you check out my post "My Friend and Instructor Matt Kane". He helped me with the mental aspect of the game and taught me to relax.

After one year of working with my average score is in the 70's.

thanks,

Be right

Comment

Originally posted by beright View Post
                I suffer from the same thing. I would recommend you check out my post "My Friend and Instructor Matt Kane". He helped me with the mental aspect of the game and taught me to relax.

After one year of working with my average score is in the 70's.

thanks,

Be right
                That is pretty great to hear. This game is definitely a great test on our mind every round we play.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                X