Collapse

Q/A's about refinishing/restoring putters

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q/A's about refinishing/restoring putters

Considering I've had quite a few questions regarding refinishing/restoring putters, I'm gonna start a thread and you guys can post away and I'll try my best to answer.

Q.Hi, I haven't gotten any help yet on my reply under thread Re: WTB : Scotty Cameron Putters.

I think you were the one who gave advice on milling a ping putter face. I have not done it yet but it was appreciated.

If you read my reply, it's basically about refinish costs/process for an inexpensive scotty I just picked up.
    I do not want to spend the $ for a restoration thru studio. I could have bought a new one for the cost of restoration.
    It is a caliente.
    Appreciate any advice.
    Found nothing on titleist website.

A. You have a few options regarding refinish jobs.

You can send it to BOS (www.blackoxideservice.com). They are probably the cheapest and they used to do the finish for Scotty Cameron.

Alternatively, you can try www.tomslighter.com or www.geoputters.com as well.

For what its worth, I send my Scotty's to the Scotty Cameron studio b/c I know for $150USD, I'm getitng a reshaft (I send the putter head only to save on shipping), new grip, new h/c (which you can sell for upwards to $60 to recoup some costs), restoration which includes buffing out any dings, original paintfill and the ability to customize the putter (for additional cost of course). The Terylliums like I sent in my other thread is a little more expensive.

I would NOT recommend sending it to the Titleist factory for a refinish job. They are good at REFINISHING while the studio is GREAT at RESTORATION. There has been cases where the putter has been butchered by the people at Titleist. Milling so much that the stamping cannot hold any paint and putterhead weight loss. It cost the same as sending to the Cameron Studio and as far as I'm concern, the Cameron Studio does a superior job. You can also get non-stock headcovers/grips for your putter by sending it in to the Studio. Another thing to think about. When you send it to Titleist, you have to go through an authorized reseller. Thus you leave the putter with the reseller and who knows how long it'll be before they send it.

If you are on a budget, I would highly consider going with BOS. They are very good and you can contact Monica Slivnik (sp). She is an amazing person who will help you out with your needs.
    Last edited by westbeach; Jan 27, 2006, 11:42 PM.

Re: Q/A's about refinishing/restoring putters

Hi, thanks again. The black oxides link doesnt work. I also tried searching the net but couldn't find them.

The slighter site keeps crashing and locking up on their refinishing options, it may be my computer, but has worked fine everywhere else.

One of those days I am having I guess.

I was hopeful the titleist refinish would be more inexpensive. I'm beginning to think I will probably play with this putter no matter what shape it is in.
    I will wait and see how it looks when it arrives.
    Cheers
    PING CAMO BAG...
    WEAPONS...
    SRIXON ZX5 10.5
    3W TM M2
    HYB 19 deg Callaway Epic
    5-aw Callaway Epic Forged

SW TM Milled Grind 56
    LW TM MILLED GRIND 60

PUTTER Rotation TM Spider Tour, Scotty np2 ,
    3 ball Fang, RIFE TOUR

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhark
      Hi, thanks again. The black oxides link doesnt work. I also tried searching the net but couldn't find them.
      Shark,
      Try this on. I just removed an "s" on the end of "services"
      http://www.blackoxideservice.com/

[/QUOTE]The slighter site keeps crashing and locking up on their refinishing options, it may be my computer, but has worked fine everywhere else.
      [/QUOTE]
      I had no problem hooking to the link for slighter, so I may just be your connection.
      Mule
      In The Ogio
      Driver - Titleist 910 w/Diamana 'ilima
      Fairway Woods - Titleist 980F 3 & 5 w/Speeder
      Hybrids - Titleist 910 H w/Diamana Kal'li
      Irons - Wilson FG Tour V2 w/KBS Tours
      Wedges - Wilson FG Tours w/TT DG SPinners
      Putter - Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum
      MEMBER OF THE 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2018 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Got into the black now, thanks. Still something funky with slighter. I go into their site and click around no probs, then when I click on 'restoration' as images load, the screen locks up and says not responding.

Probably have to get my it dep't on it.
        PING CAMO BAG...
        WEAPONS...
        SRIXON ZX5 10.5
        3W TM M2
        HYB 19 deg Callaway Epic

SW TM Milled Grind 56
        LW TM MILLED GRIND 60

3 ball Fang, RIFE TOUR

Comment

I have had s putter refinished from the SC studio a couple of years back costme S150 canadian thru a local golf shop; here's some pictures after. Condition before was similar to what Westbeach's putter looked like in his restoration post.
          WITB:
          Nothing that wil last long...

Comment

Nailer...that`s pretty sweet.

FYI, it cost a little more than $150 to do refinish now. Just a reminder, this will be done by at the Titleist plant and not the Cameron Studio.

Shark, if this is your first Scotty, I think eventually you`ll refinish it and not use as a gamer. If you do so, I suggest keeping everything "authentic".

Comment

Originally posted by westbeach
              Nailer...that`s pretty sweet.

FYI, it cost a little more than $150 to do refinish now. Just a reminder, this will be done by at the Titleist plant and not the Cameron Studio.

Shark, if this is your first Scotty, I think eventually you`ll refinish it and not use as a gamer. If you do so, I suggest keeping everything "authentic".
              Hey, who know's? I blabbed at times about the high prices, but here I go buying one.
              One of the reason's I had not really looked is that I have tended to use mallets over last few years, like the shape.

Other than the x scotty, I didn't know other older options were available. This 'caliente' as its called has shape I like and pretty simple alignment (3 lines).

I do normally play slower greens/prefer heavier feeling and have heard its a little light feeling, but got it at a good price so it was worth a try.

Thanks again for all the advice, maybe it will be in better shape than I expect. Will maybe post a couple pics once I get it for you guy's to judge.

PS it has the original shaft with band, and grip (no cover) so I will take your 'authentic' advice to heart. Cheers!
              PING CAMO BAG...
              WEAPONS...
              SRIXON ZX5 10.5
              3W TM M2
              HYB 19 deg Callaway Epic

SW TM Milled Grind 56
              LW TM MILLED GRIND 60

3 ball Fang, RIFE TOUR

Comment

Q. I was browsing the site, thinking of getting my Oil Can re-finished in a satin, but only see the option for Pro Platinum.

Being a club member, do you get different options for customizations/refinishing?

A. The Studio will only restore to the original finish or a pro platinum finish. You do not get different options for being a Club Member. The benefits you get for being a club member are the ability to purchase items before it is released to the public, exclusive offers such as the staff bags, 1/500 headcovers, etc. You will also get access to pictures taken from various tour stops, pictures of one of a kind putters, various interviews with Scotty and other members.

To answer the question, no, you cannot get the putter in a different finish other than the original finish but you can change it to the pro platinum finish which is a matte silver finish. The cost to changing to pro platinum finish is $30 on top of the restoration fee of $110. Your putter will also be stamped with a custom shop logo. Do you have an example of what you want it to look like?

Comment

For what its worth, I send my Scotty's to the Scotty Cameron studio b/c I know for $150USD, I'm getitng a reshaft ..... .
                  Geez!!! looked into actual Cameron Studio Restoration some more. Here's reply:

California Environmental regulations restrict us from restoring aluminum putters such as the Futura and Caliente models.

Am I going to catch something deadly from this thing when it arrives? Even Scotty wants me to stay the way it arrives.
                  PING CAMO BAG...
                  WEAPONS...
                  SRIXON ZX5 10.5
                  3W TM M2
                  HYB 19 deg Callaway Epic

SW TM Milled Grind 56
                  LW TM MILLED GRIND 60

3 ball Fang, RIFE TOUR

Comment

Here's a link on the dangers of Aluminum.

As for the Futura and Caliente, they are two of the least popular models and you can buy them pretty cheap. No real reason to restore unless it holds some sort of setimental value.

Comment

West beach is right Caliente are easily attained and don't really hold value - Scotty himself didn't really like the design hence the Red X came about.

Futura is still a good putter for those seeking a high MOI and has some wonderful craftsmanship and a few tour wins, so it can be a good gamer pick up.

For those that like different finished and Santa Fe's this is one of my favourites in the pics.
                      WITB:
                      Nothing that wil last long...

Comment

As for the Futura and Caliente, they are two of the least popular models and....
                        Originally posted by nailer
                        West beach is right Caliente are easily attained and don't really hold value - Scotty himself didn't really like the design.....
                        I like mallets, and I like simple scoring lines, that's what attracted me to this model, didn't even know it was a scotty at first.
                        I didn't know it was such a bad putter. All the reviews I dug up (golf review, golf gear etc) had great things to say.
                        Oh well.

ps Nailer? What is different finish, and by who, on your putter. It looks like a nice metallic pewter color?
                        PING CAMO BAG...
                        WEAPONS...
                        SRIXON ZX5 10.5
                        3W TM M2
                        HYB 19 deg Callaway Epic

SW TM Milled Grind 56
                        LW TM MILLED GRIND 60

3 ball Fang, RIFE TOUR

Comment

Sharkhark...It's not a bad putter at all performance wise. We're just saying that it doesn't hold its value against other Scotty's and a restoration/refinish might not be worth it.

Comment

Sharkhark...It's not a bad putter at all performance wise. We're just saying that it doesn't hold its value against other Scotty's and a restoration/refinish might not be worth it.
                            Fair enough, how is your restoration going? When I saw you lay out the costs it was high, but I admit to being very curious on the process. Cheers.
                            PING CAMO BAG...
                            WEAPONS...
                            SRIXON ZX5 10.5
                            3W TM M2
                            HYB 19 deg Callaway Epic

SW TM Milled Grind 56
                            LW TM MILLED GRIND 60

3 ball Fang, RIFE TOUR

Comment

The restoration takes upwards of 40 days (including weekends) after they receive the putter. I'm into day 13 so it may be upwards of 4 weeks before I get it back. But I'm sure it will be great when I do b/c pictures I've seen of restoration jobs has been phenomenal.

Here's an example:

Last edited by westbeach; Jan 30, 2006, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X