Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum  


Go Back   Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum > Golf Discussion Forum > Golf Courses
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Jan 2, 2017, 12:11 PM   #51
Big Shooter
Tour Pro
 
Big Shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 3, 2005
Location: South Central North York!
Posts: 29,718
Default Re: Most over-rated golf course in the Toronto area that you played in 2016.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittyman View Post
Agreed. But a lot of courses would be more appealing at 40 - 50% off the rack rate.
Yeah, like Ballantrae
Big Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2017, 12:15 PM   #52
wrigley
Tour Pro
 
wrigley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 9, 2005
Location: Thornhill
Posts: 1,091
Default Re: Most over-rated golf course in the Toronto area that you played in 2016.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P25 View Post
Big fan of St.Andrews Valley. Great test. My only knock on it would be the par 5's.

My choice for "overrated" or overpriced would have to be Angus Glen.
+1, you really can't hit a driver on three of the par fives.
wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2017, 03:53 PM   #53
pudubny
Club Pro
 
Join Date: Feb 1, 2005
Location: Shanghai, Hong Kong
Posts: 950
Default Re: Most over-rated golf course in the Toronto area that you played in 2016.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
+1, you really can't hit a driver on three of the par fives.
About Angus Glen, the South course. Many of you have mentioned it. Is it because of the price or the course itself? I rather like the course. #4, 9, 10 are very good holes and their are several other good ones. Just wondering.
pudubny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2017, 05:19 AM   #54
Arthur Dailey
Tour Pro
 
Arthur Dailey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 5, 2013
Location: Gallifrey
Posts: 3,211
Default Re: Most over-rated golf course in the Toronto area that you played in 2016.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudubny View Post
About Angus Glen, the South course. Many of you have mentioned it. Is it because of the price or the course itself? I rather like the course. #4, 9, 10 are very good holes and their are several other good ones. Just wondering.
I prefer #1 and #12. And have a love/hate relationship with #18.
#10 on Angus south reminds me of a a now lost hole on back 9 of the old Seaton course.

How many truly memorable holes are there at Angus? How many would you include on your 'dream' list of your favourite/best 18 holes?

Now factor in the price and the pace of play.
Arthur Dailey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2017, 05:44 AM   #55
Golfgeek
Low Handicapper
 
Join Date: Jul 23, 2006
Location: Thornhill
Posts: 218
Default Re: Most over-rated golf course in the Toronto area that you played in 2016.

Angus was originally opened in the 90s to be a premium golf experience mainly catering to corporate events. It was the first such course opened in east Toronto and at the time it fulfilled a need. It had mainly private course conditions, first class customer service, a reasonably attractive/challenging golf course (south) and MOST IMPORTANLY had Kevin Thistle to promote/hype the experience. It succeeded exceptionally well and the Stollery family did very well indeed. In fact, the Cdn Open on the South was a great success even though John Rollins won it at about 16/17 under.

They "jumped the shark" when they built the North Course...a poor example of faux links that was too hard to maintain the way it was designed (sod wall bunkers, etc.) and they had to have it redone by Davis Love. That resulted in an even less attractive design that people didn't feel "special" on...and tournaments only wanted the North if the South wasn't available.

Fast forward a decade and the conditions are now spotty at best, the South is now a tricked up mess with the new ponds etc., the hype of Thistle et al is long gone, the prices are outrageous, and Gordon Stollery must be turning over in his grave.

Too bad...but they now deserve the most over-rated honour.
Golfgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2017, 05:57 AM   #56
Arthur Dailey
Tour Pro
 
Arthur Dailey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 5, 2013
Location: Gallifrey
Posts: 3,211
Default Re: Most over-rated golf course in the Toronto area that you played in 2016.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfgeek View Post
Angus was originally opened in the 90s to be a premium golf experience mainly catering to corporate events. It was the first such course opened in east Toronto and at the time it fulfilled a need. It had mainly private course conditions, first class customer service, a reasonably attractive/challenging golf course (south) and MOST IMPORTANLY had Kevin Thistle to promote/hype the experience. It succeeded exceptionally well and the Stollery family did very well indeed. In fact, the Cdn Open on the South was a great success even though John Rollins won it at about 16/17 under.

They "jumped the shark" when they built the North Course...a poor example of faux links that was too hard to maintain the way it was designed (sod wall bunkers, etc.) and they had to have it redone by Davis Love. That resulted in an even less attractive design that people didn't feel "special" on...and tournaments only wanted the North if the South wasn't available.

Fast forward a decade and the conditions are now spotty at best, the South is now a tricked up mess with the new ponds etc., the hype of Thistle et al is long gone, the prices are outrageous, and Gordon Stollery must be turning over in his grave.

Too bad...but they now deserve the most over-rated honour.
Well said.
Arthur Dailey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2017, 07:41 AM   #57
4underthru9
Tour Pro
 
4underthru9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 23, 2011
Location: At the Pub
Posts: 9,055
Default Re: Most over-rated golf course in the Toronto area that you played in 2016.

Don't want to thread jack but because of the Kevin Thistle lovers in this thread I thought I would mention this,
which BTW I did not notice anywhere else on here, but if it warrants a new thread maybe one of you would start one.

Kevin is now the VP of Business Development at Windmill Golf Group in Calgary.
If any are familiar with this you will know that this is Phil Mickelson's baby, a brand new Golf Course and Housing project out in Hampton Alta.
Seems like an excellent move for Kevin but means I guess we won't be seeing him anytime soon around these parts. Maybe though he could show up at the Toronto Golf Show at a Calgary Tourist booth.
4underthru9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2017, 08:01 AM   #58
sauerkraut
Club Pro
 
sauerkraut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 11, 2012
Posts: 748
Default Re: Most over-rated golf course in the Toronto area that you played in 2016.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4underthru9 View Post
Don't want to thread jack but because of the Kevin Thistle lovers in this thread I thought I would mention this,
which BTW I did not notice anywhere else on here, but if it warrants a new thread maybe one of you would start one.

Kevin is now the VP of Business Development at Windmill Golf Group in Calgary.
If any are familiar with this you will know that this is Phil Mickelson's baby, a brand new Golf Course and Housing project out in Hampton Alta.
old news...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Kevin Thistle has left his position at Toronto Hunt and is relocating to Calgary to become vice president of business development for the Windmill Golf Group, which includes several golf courses in the area, including the new Mickelson National, which begins construction this spring.
sauerkraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2017, 01:25 PM   #59
pudubny
Club Pro
 
Join Date: Feb 1, 2005
Location: Shanghai, Hong Kong
Posts: 950
Default Re: Most over-rated golf course in the Toronto area that you played in 2016.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfgeek View Post
Angus was originally opened in the 90s to be a premium golf experience mainly catering to corporate events. It was the first such course opened in east Toronto and at the time it fulfilled a need. It had mainly private course conditions, first class customer service, a reasonably attractive/challenging golf course (south) and MOST IMPORTANLY had Kevin Thistle to promote/hype the experience. It succeeded exceptionally well and the Stollery family did very well indeed. In fact, the Cdn Open on the South was a great success even though John Rollins won it at about 16/17 under.

They "jumped the shark" when they built the North Course...a poor example of faux links that was too hard to maintain the way it was designed (sod wall bunkers, etc.) and they had to have it redone by Davis Love. That resulted in an even less attractive design that people didn't feel "special" on...and tournaments only wanted the North if the South wasn't available.
Fast forward a decade and the conditions are now spotty at best, the South is now a tricked up mess with the new ponds etc., the hype of Thistle et al is long gone, the prices are outrageous, and Gordon Stollery must be turning over in his grave.

Too bad...but they now deserve the most over-rated honour.
Thanks for that reply. I understand the North course is not loved. To be fair I have not played Angus Glen lately. The recent ponds you refer to were likely mandated by new policies on water use at all courses but that doesn't excuse poor placement. I always felt these corporate golf havens would not appeal to most golfers based on price. Regardless of price I liked the South. To bad it's been changed.
pudubny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Terms of Service / Privacy