Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum  

Go Back   Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum > Golf Discussion Forum > Club Fitting
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old Jan 2, 2017, 04:25 AM   #26
Smittyman
Club Pro

Default Re: Do Any TGNers play SL Irons ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryold View Post
I have nothing to do with Cobra Company, so this is not a promotion, or anything, but in the MOI thread, it was mentioned that Cobra offers a pretty wide range of options to customize their irons, IIANM which usually i am, lol
BUT, the question on SL adoption, or failure is still a wide open question, and the up-to-date results and reviews are very "mixed", to say the least.
Hey Serge, hope you had a great Christmas and New Year.

Thanks for pointing this out as I wasn't aware that Cobra was offering these options. Originally, I think, it was just a standard LLL offering. Checking their website, however, the first option for ordering is 'Stock Set". Even when you choose 'Custom Set', changing lie doesn't appear on the list, you have to go to 'More Custom Options' to find it. So while the options are available, Cobra isn't exactly promoting them, at least not on the website, can't say what their dealers are doing.

I guess my point is that the notion of a stock set of SL is doomed to fail. You are tall and lean, I'm short and stocky (no pun intended) so we certainly wouldn't want to use the same length and lie and neither of us would likely fit the 'stock' set. In a set of PING black dots, for example, you might find a couple of clubs that you hit OK and I might as well but they won't likely be the same clubs. In a SL set if one club is wrong then, in theory, they are all wrong so correct fitting is even more important. But I can't see Cobra really pushing the customization angle, like all of the big OEM's they are not in the custom build business. My guess is that these clubs quietly disappear from their product line in a year or two. But I'm usually wrong.

As to the success or failure of SL as a whole, not just Cobra's offering, I suspect it will remain a niche market where custom builds using Wishon and other heads will be more popular than offerings from large OEM's. It is not really clear to me what the target market for SL is but it surely isn't very big.

All the best for 2017!
Smittyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:28 AM   #27
Tintin
Club Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittyman View Post
H. So while the options are available, Cobra isn't exactly promoting them, at least not on the website, can't say what their dealers are doing.

!
No mention of swingweight if you go shorter or longer. Cobras don't have a swingweight port like Ping. Wondering if this will be looked after in the future.
Tintin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:54 AM   #28
jburns
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
No mention of swingweight if you go shorter or longer. Cobras don't have a swingweight port like Ping. Wondering if this will be looked after in the future.
That's one of the reasons I thought Ping could do a single length set so easily!

Similar to a Wishon design with same head weight and lie angle. You could build a set of G irons using the CTP to dial in the head weight and then go into the G max for the high COR heads.

Ping lets you do almost anything... I think I could even order something similar to my TLT specs and get all the swing weights bang on.
PING G30 19* Fairway
PING G30 22*26* Hybrids
PING Karsten 6-UW
PING Glide 55 WS/60 ES
PING Chip-O
PING Karsten TR Anser #5
TLT'd @ Dan's Custom Golf
jburns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:55 AM   #29
Smittyman
Club Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
I noticed that as well; I just assumed it wasn't an option.
Smittyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2017, 03:43 PM   #30
gbrgolf
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburns View Post
That's one of the reasons I thought Ping could do a single length set so easily!

Similar to a Wishon design with same head weight and lie angle. You could build a set of G irons using the CTP to dial in the head weight and then go into the G max for the high COR heads.

Ping lets you do almost anything... I think I could even order something similar to my TLT specs and get all the swing weights bang on.
Don't know how much weight the Pings allow you to move around, but to get a wedge to a 6 iron weight you are talking up to 30 grams. Taking that much weight out of a head or adding a great deal of weight, really messes with the CG.
it's just really not easy to take a standard set of irons and make them into single length.
gbrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2017, 01:32 PM   #31
fhann
High Handicapper

I fit and make SL clubs. I do playSL irons - Wishon Sterlings. Sand wedge to 5 iron. I use the Sterling 5 hybrid as a 4 iron within this set. Sterling sand wedge for full shots. I use 58 degree traditional wedge for sand shots, and short, touch shots.

I highly recommend fitted SL sets, I am an example of using the best fitted equipment for oneself to get the most out one's game. I carry a 3.7 index on a course that really resists scoring, down from a high of 5.6 with my TLT type set over last seasons play. My course has a lot of uneven lies, even in the best parts of the fairways. One size, one swing makes a lot of sense, and it's helped me. I have an open mind and tried them, liked them.

I have been playing golf for nearly 40 years and I have been able to adjust to one ball position for almost all standard shots. So you can teach an old dog new tricks, but moving from TLT type set, certainly eases some shock, as compared to switching out of traditional irons that one has used for a long time.

My average carry distance is 156 yards with a seven iron. All SL irons are 36.75" long. My average iron swing speed last year was 82 mph.
P1B 9M4
www.engineeredgolf.ca
fhann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2017, 05:11 PM   #32
Tintin
Club Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhann View Post
I fit and make SL clubs. I do playSL irons - Wishon Sterlings. Sand wedge to 5 iron. I use the Sterling 5 hybrid as a 4 iron within this set. Sterling sand wedge for full shots. I use 58 degree traditional wedge for sand shots, and short, touch shots.

Do you get more distance out of the 5 hybrid than the 5 iron? Loft is the same.

Tintin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2017, 04:19 AM   #33
Gridiron
Tour Pro

https://www.mygolfspy.com/the-story-...art-to-finish/
From Dream to Product: The Story Behind Sterling Irons
Gridiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2017, 05:30 AM   #34
jburns
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridiron View Post
Perfect for some go train reading... thanks.
PING G30 19* Fairway
PING G30 22*26* Hybrids
PING Karsten 6-UW
PING Glide 55 WS/60 ES
PING Chip-O
PING Karsten TR Anser #5
Old Jan 24, 2017, 06:52 AM   #35
Weirfan
Tour Pro

Quote:
great read thanks for posting
Old Jan 24, 2017, 09:06 AM   #36
ManFromMoffat
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhann View Post

I highly recommend fitted SL sets, I am an example of using the best fitted equipment for oneself to get the most out one's game. I carry a 3.7 index on a course that really resists scoring, down from a high of 5.6 with my TLT type set over last seasons play. My course has a lot of uneven lies, even in the best parts of the fairways. One size, one swing makes a lot of sense, and it's helped me. I have an open mind and tried them, liked them.

I have been playing golf for nearly 40 years and I have been able to adjust to one ball position for almost all standard shots. So you can teach an old dog new tricks, but moving from TLT type set, certainly eases some shock, as compared to switching out of traditional irons that one has used for a long time.

My average carry distance is 156 yards with a seven iron. All SL irons are 36.75" long. My average iron swing speed last year was 82 mph.
Similar to Godwin's Law, it's only a matter of time before someone mentions how far they hit their 7 iron.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 06:17 AM   #37
4underthru9
Tour Pro

Single Length club study courtesy of www.mygolfspy.com

https://www.mygolfspy.com/tested-cob...-length-irons/
4underthru9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2017, 10:28 AM   #38
Weirfan
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4underthru9 View Post
one of the issues I have with these reviews is the issue that Dan continually raises , that being adjustment period. All these players have likely been playing a "standard" build set of golf clubs for many years so to not have a period of accommodation to the SL set will not (IMO) provide an accurate comparison.

Some golfers might accommodate quickly but I think Dan says a minimum of 5 sessions are required.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 07:28 PM   #39
Kona Golf
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirfan View Post
one of the issues I have with these reviews is the issue that Dan continually raises , that being adjustment period. All these players have likely been playing a "standard" build set of golf clubs for many years so to not have a period of accommodation to the SL set will not (IMO) provide an accurate comparison.

Some golfers might accommodate quickly but I think Dan says a minimum of 5 sessions are required.
I believe this to be true for all new sets. I tell my clients not to consider an adjustment for at least 5 rounds regardless of the type of build.

I find the biggest issue for people with SL is the 6 inches between the ears. One must have an open mind, no pre conceived ideas.

I would really like to see a comparison after the tester has played 4 or 5 rounds with SLs....

I often switch back to my other set (TLT) when my SL set goes out on DEMO and at some point during the round wish I had the SLs. Not saying the SLs are better, but they definitely take some variables out of play, and definitely the longer irons are easier to play.

www.konagolfsales.com
sales@konagolfsales.com
ICG certified Clubmaker
True Temper Fitting Center

WIB-

What Day is it?

But Be Sure They Will Be
TLT & TFT & Spined /Flo'd
Single Length Irons and Hybrids Available
FUBUKI™ ZT Performance Shaft Now Available
Kona Golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2017, 07:56 PM   #40
4underthru9
Tour Pro

Quote:
one of the issues I have with these reviews is the issue that Dan continually raises , that being adjustment period. All these players have likely been playing a "standard" build set of golf clubs for many years so to not have a period of accommodation to the SL set will not (IMO) provide an accurate comparison. Some golfers might accommodate quickly but I think Dan says a minimum of 5 sessions are required.
Definitely agree and that is exactly what I posted elsewhere with regard to these SL clubs:

These are claimed by some to be the best Single Length clubs in the World, they have been around for over 20 years so maybe they do have something special, and have a lot of good information on the website:
http://www.1irongolf.com/
Although they do say they are not designed for sweepers they do say they are excellent for people with very small divots and who just skim the grass. Coupled with a perfectly matched graphite shaft to one swing type they should be good for most, albeit maybe not the financial department.
Though if one is truly into getting the best or better why not forsake a few rounds of golf to pay for them. Just spend time at the range, which is what they suggest you are going to need anyways to get use to your new set of clubs.
4underthru9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2017, 07:57 PM   #41
jburns
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona Golf View Post
I believe this to be true for all new sets. I tell my clients not to consider an adjustment for at least 5 rounds regardless of the type of build.

I find the biggest issue for people with SL is the 6 inches between the ears. One must have an open mind, no pre conceived ideas.

I would really like to see a comparison after the tester has played 4 or 5 rounds with SLs....

I often switch back to my other set (TLT) when my SL set goes out on DEMO and at some point during the round wish I had the SLs. Not saying the SLs are better, but they definitely take some variables out of play, and definitely the longer irons are easier to play.
100% why I'm planning on having Dan construct my SL set to the specs of all my TLT wedges.

A - I love that 36.5 length and the TLT lie fits me nicely

B - If I know I'm already ok with that length and lie hopefully my brain will play nice!
PING G30 19* Fairway
PING G30 22*26* Hybrids
PING Karsten 6-UW
PING Glide 55 WS/60 ES
PING Chip-O
PING Karsten TR Anser #5
Old Feb 10, 2017, 04:11 AM   #42
veryold
Club Pro

Quote:
This is in ALL RESPECT to you and Dan, but i have a different opinion on this subject: to me, a "big" adjustment would be needed if one is going the other way around, i.e., from SL to a conventional set.
But the whole premise of SL is that the whole set of SL irons is used as a conventional 7 iron. So if one can hit a conventional 7i they can hit all SL irons, without any adjustments or worry - same setup, same swing, same ball position, etc., etc., no ???
Old Feb 10, 2017, 04:35 AM   #43
Gridiron
Tour Pro

Quote:
This is in ALL RESPECT to you and Dan, but i have a different opinion on this subject: to me, a "big" adjustment would be needed if one is going the other way around, i.e., from SL to a conventional set.
But the whole premise of SL is that the whole set of SL irons is used as a conventional 7 iron. So if one can hit a conventional 7i they can hit all SL irons, without any adjustments or worry - same setup, same swing, same ball position, etc., etc., no ???
If all of your wedges were suddenly the length of your 7 iron, do you think you would be 100% comfortable right away or do you think it might take you a little time to get your mental state to a place where a 56 degree wedge that is 1.5" to 2" longer looks and feels normal?
Gridiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2017, 04:53 AM   #44
veryold
Club Pro

Quote:
If all of your wedges were suddenly the length of your 7 iron, do you think you would be 100% comfortable right away or do you think it might take you a little time to get your mental state to a place where a 56 degree wedge that is 1.5" to 2" longer looks and feels normal?
A very fair question, indeed

What i said above is only IMHO, since i never tried SL.

But, and AGAIN, this is just my rubbish opinion. But since i can change my swing (out of my "inventory" of 4 swings or more, lol) from one hole to the next, i'm convinced that, AGAIN FOR ME ONLY, if i had SL irons to try, the adjustment period would be a non-issue, and actually i would probably and immediately start to play/swing better, because, and for example. i would not have to reach down on wedges, since i'm 6'3".

But please, this is not to inflate or brag about my swing here, ok

Cheers !
Old Feb 10, 2017, 05:06 AM   #45
Kona Golf
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburns View Post
100% why I'm planning on having Dan construct my SL set to the specs of all my TLT wedges.

A - I love that 36.5 length and the TLT lie fits me nicely

B - If I know I'm already ok with that length and lie hopefully my brain will play nice!
If you are using a TLT'd set I don't think you will have any issues going to SL

www.konagolfsales.com
sales@konagolfsales.com
ICG certified Clubmaker

WIB-

What Day is it?

But Be Sure They Will Be
Old Feb 10, 2017, 05:19 AM   #46
ManFromMoffat
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona Golf View Post
If you are using a TLT'd set I don't think you will have any issues going to SL
Just to add to that, my understanding of TLT is that some reference point on all clubs (the butt or say the mid-point of the grip) is the same or close to the same height off the ground. One can think of that vertical distance as say dimension Y.

If X is the horizontal dimension from that point to the club heel, TLT has different lie angles and X dimensions while SL has identical lies and X dimensions.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 05:34 AM   #47
veryold
Club Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManFromMoffat View Post
Just to add to that, my understanding of TLT is that some reference point on all clubs (the butt or say the mid-point of the grip) is the same or close to the same height off the ground. One can think of that vertical distance as say dimension Y.

If X is the horizontal dimension from that point to the club heel, TLT has different lie angles and X dimensions while SL has identical lies and X dimensions.
I think that you are 100% correct and you explained it really well, you an engineer

IOW, X and Y is identical for whole SL set.
and for TLT: Y is same, X different
and for CONVENTIONAL, both, Y and X are different for each iron in the set.

Cheers !

Last edited by veryold; Feb 10, 2017 at 05:42 AM.
veryold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2017, 06:59 AM   #48
Kona Golf
Sponsor

Quote:

SL Ball Position remains the same on Standard shots, TLT your Stance (and hand postion on the club) remains the same but ball position changes slightly on each shot.

SL Ball Position changes when you want to hit a higher shot / punch shot etc. just as it would with any other type of clubs.

In both cases your atheletic stance, hand position on club remain the same.

Both scenarios leads to better ball striking and more consistency. MORE ENJOYMENT!

www.konagolfsales.com
sales@konagolfsales.com
ICG certified Clubmaker

WIB-

What Day is it?

But Be Sure They Will Be
Old Feb 10, 2017, 07:27 AM   #49
ManFromMoffat
Tour Pro

Quote:
I think that you are 100% correct and you explained it really well, you an engineer

IOW, X and Y is identical for whole SL set.
and for TLT: Y is same, X different
and for CONVENTIONAL, both, Y and X are different for each iron in the set.

Cheers !
Yes, and as Jim from Kona Golf states above, with TLT there is a third (I suspect minor) dimension: Z.

I like the idea of more enjoyment Jim!
Old Feb 10, 2017, 07:38 AM   #50
veryold
Club Pro

Quote:
Yes, and as Jim from Kona Golf states above, with TLT there is a third (I suspect minor) dimension: Z.
I like the idea of more enjoyment Jim!
Great, and as a side/funny comment, i see advil in your WITB items, which both of us may ditch after we switch to a nice, upright posture with SLs, but the candlestick stays
Cheers !

Last edited by veryold; Feb 10, 2017 at 08:06 AM.
veryold is online now   Reply With Quote