Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum  

Go Back   Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum > Golf Discussion Forum > Golf Courses
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old Jan 24, 2016, 12:47 PM   #1
tarrantian
Scratch Golfer

Default Riviera Maya Golf Club

Stayed at the Bahia Principe Sian Kaan this past week with my wife and played a round at the subject club (with rentals)...

Great resort, very nice course...

Anyone else play here??

Cheers,

- Ian
Taylormade TP EF Satin Chrome Wedges (KBS Tour Wedge) (52D/56D/60D)
Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals/Irons)
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback Putter 34" w/30g Weights (SuperStroke CounterCore Mid-Slim 2.0)
Clicgear 3.5+ Push Cart
SkyCaddie TOUCH
tarrantian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2016, 01:53 PM   #2
sauerkraut
Club Pro

Default Re: Riviera Maya Golf Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarrantian View Post
Stayed at the Bahia Principe Sian Kaan this past week with my wife and played a round at the subject club (with rentals)...

Anyone else play here??

Cheers,

- Ian
Nope, but last week I stayed and played at the Iberostar Paraiso. Pete Dye course...good conditions, greens had undulations up the ***, it was making me dizzy.
sauerkraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2016, 07:25 AM   #3
sugarloafer
Mid Handicapper

Quote:

Anyone else play here??

Cheers,

- Ian
Played there with my wife once in 2012 and once in 2013. Loved the deal we had through our resort - free after 1 pm, just $40 for cart and rentals. Really enjoyed the hole with the green over a cave!
sugarloafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2017, 07:49 PM   #4
tarrantian
Scratch Golfer

Heading to the Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an resort next week and am going to play the subject course again.

Really enjoyed it last year, played once w/Rental - This year, taking my clubs and playing 4 rounds (although my wife doesn't know this as yet)...

Questions, anyone play the course this year? Any chance I won't get 4 'reasonably' early tee times?? ('Reasonable' = 8-9AM, on vacation afterall).

Cheers,

- Ian
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback Putter 34" w/30g Weights (SuperStroke CounterCore Mid-Slim 2.0)
Clicgear 3.5+ Push Cart
SkyCaddie TOUCH
Old Jan 9, 2017, 04:22 PM   #5
Secam
Tour Pro

We've stayed there twice. Played the course seven times. It's beautiful and *****. Everything bounces towards the jungle. A perfect looking drive rolls over the short rough and is in with the snakes.

All that said, Sian Kaan is a beautiful gem. It's not on the beach, which is why the prices are so low for such nice rooms and great food. I think that in a few years they will shut it down as an all inclusive and turn it into the rec facility / clubhouse for the community they are building around the golf course.
Secam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2017, 05:14 PM   #6
tarrantian
Scratch Golfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secam View Post
We've stayed there twice. Played the course seven times. It's beautiful and *****. Everything bounces towards the jungle. A perfect looking drive rolls over the short rough and is in with the snakes.

All that said, Sian Kaan is a beautiful gem. It's not on the beach, which is why the prices are so low for such nice rooms and great food. I think that in a few years they will shut it down as an all inclusive and turn it into the rec facility / clubhouse for the community they are building around the golf course.
Snakes??

Funny, I only played one round last year, but don't have too much recollection (Didn't really drink on the course so that's not an excuse)...

Loved the hole with the cenote (cave), and didn't really keep score - Taking my clubs/Skycaddie, etc. and am planning to play 4 rounds if I can get away with it so will be a bit more 'serious' this time...

Fully agree about Sian Ka'an - Probably one of the best resorts we've been to, and very reasonably priced for likely the reasons you state (Who needs the ocean, when you have a pool and all the chairs you need). It's a great size, and you can use all the amenities of the 2 other large resorts that are part of the Bahia Principe group (Coba/Akumel).

Regardless, just getting away from white hell and our -10 weather will be enough of a treat let alone 4 glorious rounds!

Cheers,

- Ian
Clicgear 3.5+ Push Cart
SkyCaddie TOUCH
Old Jan 10, 2017, 03:05 AM   #7
AlCzervik
High Handicapper

Stayed for a week at the Bahia Principe Coba on the beach 2 years ago and shuttled everyday for a round at the Riviera Maya. The course is beautiful and the cenote traps were an expected hazard. For all inclusive, the mandatory cart fee was pricey at US$100/round.

I prefer Moon Palace with a 27 hole course on property and free shuttle to golf Riviera Cancun included in the package. Cart fee was US$40/round and all food and drinks (including alcohol) was included with outdoor Cabana style bars every 6 holes.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 04:09 AM   #8
hammy1983
Tour Pro

Quote:
Snakes??

Funny, I only played one round last year, but don't have too much recollection (Didn't really drink on the course so that's not an excuse)...

Loved the hole with the cenote (cave), and didn't really keep score - Taking my clubs/Skycaddie, etc. and am planning to play 4 rounds if I can get away with it so will be a bit more 'serious' this time...

Fully agree about Sian Ka'an - Probably one of the best resorts we've been to, and very reasonably priced for likely the reasons you state (Who needs the ocean, when you have a pool and all the chairs you need). It's a great size, and you can use all the amenities of the 2 other large resorts that are part of the Bahia Principe group (Coba/Akumel).

Regardless, just getting away from white hell and our -10 weather will be enough of a treat let alone 4 glorious rounds!

Cheers,

- Ian
Yes there are snakes, and spiders as well. big cats on extremely rare occasions
Irons - 4-AW RSI1 Stiff
Wedge - 56 MD tour grind
Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2/Taylormade OS Daytona
hammy1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2017, 08:18 AM   #9
sauerkraut
Club Pro

I'm currently down here south of Playa Del Carmen, and since we got here there's been a huge fire that burnt down the Bahia lobby bar and 5 people were killed at a PDC nightclub. Not sure I want to venture out and play golf.

At least it's warm and sunny.
sauerkraut is offline   Reply With Quote