Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum  

Go Back   Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum > Golf Discussion Forum > Tour Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old Jan 9, 2017, 05:01 PM   #1
tarrantian
Scratch Golfer

Default JASON DAY'S SLOWING DOWN HIS PLAY COMMENTS

A lot of buzz last week for obvious reasons...

Saw his presser, and his comments (close but I'm a paraphrasing):

'It's the pro game with a lot on the line, not your average joe playing on the weekend, I understand why slow play in the amateur game is a problem, etc.'

Talk about someone who doesn't get it, 'average joe' sees it that 'because Jason does it, I should do it too', certainly my impression and his fellow pros certainly railed...

Read the Golf World article linked here:

http://www.golfworlddigital.com/gw/0...ticleId1059566

Question for you nutters- Does a pro's pace of play impact an amateurs pace of play???

Thoughts??

- Ian
Taylormade TP EF Satin Chrome Wedges (KBS Tour Wedge) (52D/56D/60D)
Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals/Irons)
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback Putter 34" w/30g Weights (SuperStroke CounterCore Mid-Slim 2.0)
Clicgear 3.5+ Push Cart
SkyCaddie TOUCH
tarrantian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2017, 09:50 PM   #2
bl8d
Tour Pro

Default Re: JASON DAY'S SLOWING DOWN HIS PLAY COMMENTS

It's not the pro's fault when some wannabe imitates him.

Exotics 10.5 Aldila NV65S
Exotics 15 CB2 Aldila NV65S
Exotics 18 Fujikura 68S
TM 300 forged- PX flighted
TM Tour 55. 59 -S90
Nike Uni
bl8d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:35 PM   #3
Big Shooter
Tour Pro

when did JD go Nike?
Big Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2017, 04:34 AM   #4
Benz
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarrantian View Post
Question for you nutters- Does a pro's pace of play impact an amateurs pace of play???

Thoughts??

- Ian
IMO, there are two separate yet related issues here; slow play affecting how people enjoy the game at the amateur level, and the 'quality' of the product being delivered on television by the professional tours.

As I mentioned in another thread, in recent months I have found the televised game to be virtually unwatchable. Perhaps it's just me right now, but I find the broadcasts incredible boring. They focus on such a small group of players (rather than everyone who is playing at the time) which forces them to cover the detailed player/caddy exchanges about elevation, wind, club, trajectory, etc. associated with every shot. Of course the announcers never question why all of the players in a group don't do their respective calculations at the same time (i.e. ready golf versus 'honours' golf) nor how, after such detailed exchanges occur, the player misses his target by twenty yards. Once at the green, we are then shown a pro re-place his ball on the putting surface (after the ball has been thoroughly cleaned), align the marks on the ball to the putting line, stand up and look at the putt from three sides, and then re-align the ball. Gripping stuff. If it's during a playoff for The Masters, fine, but not during the first round of the Sony Open.

Does all of this happening on TV ultimately translate into slow play at the amateur level? Some, but not all. Honours golf should be observed only in formal competition and completely abandoned in casual play because it serves absolutely no purpose. As for 'detailed calculations', many amateurs today have electronic aids which tell them how far to hit the ball. The problem is that the players rarely know how far they actually hit the ball with each club, and if they did know, may not actually hit it that far and/or in the correct direction. The result is missed fairways and greens, extra shots and extra time.
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2017, 04:54 AM   #5
Weirfan
Tour Pro

"Question for you nutters- Does a pro's pace of play impact an amateurs pace of play???"

For me , Absolutely not at all, nor does it with anyone I know.

While I am sure there are wannabes out there who mimic the pros with their white pants and white belts and routines etc, I don't think it is common, nor contributes to slow play at the recreational level, and all the studies into slow play I read , confirm that. The two main factors being course management and course difficulty.

I commented the other day in another thread that I felt the huge amounts of money that are on the line are the main contributer to slow play on tour.

Edit to add: I would like to see individuals penalized/ put on the clock if they are slow, not groups.

Last edited by Weirfan; Jan 10, 2017 at 05:14 AM.
Weirfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2017, 05:20 AM   #6
Galted
Scratch Golfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirfan View Post
I commented the other day in another thread that I felt the huge amounts of money that are on the line are the main contributer to slow play on tour.
You are probably right but I would have said the problem is with the sports psychologists that say "don't hit until you are 100% comfortable". In a funk, they are never comfortable as per Garcia a few years back.

I followed Woods, McCarron, and Els a few years back at Bay Hill. Els was giving Tiger the glare and McCarron would just walk off to next tee while Tiger was putting. You would think that fellow pros would have a mechanism to do something about the brutally methodical.
Galted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2017, 05:30 AM   #7
Weirfan
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galted View Post
You are probably right but I would have said the problem is with the sports psychologists that say "don't hit until you are 100% comfortable". In a funk, they are never comfortable as per Garcia a few years back.

I followed Woods, McCarron, and Els a few years back at Bay Hill. Els was giving Tiger the glare and McCarron would just walk off to next tee while Tiger was putting. You would think that fellow pros would have a mechanism to do something about the brutally methodical.
Agree........
Old Jan 10, 2017, 02:26 PM   #8
DCR23
High Handicapper

I think his comments are fine, as with Rory admitting his priority isn't too grow golf. Both are strong competitors focused on winning, just like Jack & Arnie were in their playing days.

I don't think the pace on tour has a big impact on the course, there are a lot of other issues which are lower hanging fruit to pick up the pace.
DCR23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2017, 02:41 PM   #9
alwayslooking2buy!!
Sponsor

presser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarrantian View Post
A lot of buzz last week for obvious reasons...

Saw his presser, and his comments (close but I'm a paraphrasing):

'It's the pro game with a lot on the line, not your average joe playing on the weekend, I understand why slow play in the amateur game is a problem, etc.'

Talk about someone who doesn't get it, 'average joe' sees it that 'because Jason does it, I should do it too', certainly my impression and his fellow pros certainly railed...

Read the Golf World article linked here:

http://www.golfworlddigital.com/gw/0...ticleId1059566

Thoughts??

- Ian
alwayslooking2buy!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2017, 03:02 PM   #10
Johnrw
Club Pro

If you allow the pro's to play at a ridiculous pace of play the rounds will only get slower. Doesn't that give him an advantage over someone that likes to play faster?? Damn right it does. Personally I can barely stand to watch all of these guys take forever to play a round. Threesomes in 5 1/2 hours is just crazy. If the rounds then stretch out to 6 hours or longer there will be more events with less players, so that's not fair to those that have a lower standing in the priority list. Sure play better and get a better priority but that's not always going to be the case. JD doesn't give a flying "F" how many guys are in the field. They have a players committee and they should start enforcing the rules they have in place now. Maybe if JD was made to play faster he wouldn't be as good.

Since he said it I'm posting about him but there are other the need to pick up the pace also.

Couple cents worth.
Johnrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2017, 03:03 PM   #11
Johnrw
Club Pro

If you allow the pro's to play at a ridiculous pace of play the rounds will only get slower. Doesn't that give him an advantage over someone that likes to play faster?? Damn right it does. Personally I can barely stand to watch all of these guys take forever to play a round. Threesomes in 5 1/2 hours is just crazy. If the rounds then stretch out to 6 hours or longer there will be more events with less players, so that's not fair to those that have a lower standing in the priority list. Sure play better and get a better priority but that's not always going to be the case. JD doesn't give a flying "F" how many guys are in the field. They have a players committee and they should start enforcing the rules they have in place now. Maybe if JD was made to play faster he wouldn't be as good.

Since he said it I'm posting about him but there are others that need to pick up the pace also.

Couple cents worth.
Johnrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2017, 05:42 AM   #12
sharkhark
Tour Pro

Quote:
"Question for you nutters- Does a pro's pace of play impact an amateurs pace of play???"

For me , Absolutely not at all, nor does it with anyone I know.

While I am sure there are wannabes out there who mimic the pros with their white pants and white belts and routines etc, I don't think it is common, nor contributes to slow play at the recreational level, and all the studies into slow play I
I disagree the young guns at my course are watching the ball from every angle, backing off, etc etc etc

Even the old timers that play money games if asked to speed up say that it's common place as they see on TV to take your time.
I think it trickles down.
It's not all to blame but plays a part.
I despise slow play the reason I've started to get up earlier on weekends at my course because the early times are guys who want to get er done.

1w Callaway GBB
4-aw Tm rsi 2
3w Tm M2
20 Tm aeroburner
24 Cally Razr HL
56 Tm ATV (bent to 55)
60 Tm ATV
Odyssey Works 2-ball Fang Tank

sharkhark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2017, 05:49 AM   #13
Jeffc
Tour Pro

put em all on a clock and enforce it, just like they enforce all the rules.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 06:07 AM   #14
hammy1983
Tour Pro

I think its safe to say that what he said will not speed up players. And its probably safe to say that at least one person will figure... if that works for him, it will work for me. I just wish Jason would shut up and do it without announcing it. Most likely people wont even notice.
Irons - 4-AW RSI1 Stiff
Wedge - 56 MD tour grind
Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2/Taylormade OS Daytona
hammy1983 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2017, 06:07 AM   #15
Weirfan
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffc View Post
put em all on a clock and enforce it, just like they enforce all the rules.
This would be such an easy thing to do and they have established the allowable timelines and conditions, so why not simply do it ?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 06:12 AM   #16
Jeffc
Tour Pro

Quote:
This would be such an easy thing to do and they have established the allowable timelines and conditions, so why not simply do it ?
it is. And it's funny that the rules are ALWAYS enforced otherwise. This one seems to be largely ignored.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 07:24 AM   #17
sharkhark
Tour Pro

I just wanted to add that I specifically set out to tape the golf I watch now for this reason.
Fast forward thru commercials.
Find a guy or girl that's got a crouch & back off then back in and back off routine I fast forward that.
Walking around before set up I skip that too.

I couldn't take it anymore and now I avoid reading the results and watch a 3 hour broadcast on half the time.

You lose a bit of the build up to shots, the rhythm but less painful overall.
I'm sure many think like me and do similar.

1w Callaway GBB
4-aw Tm rsi 2
3w Tm M2
20 Tm aeroburner
24 Cally Razr HL
56 Tm ATV (bent to 55)
60 Tm ATV
Odyssey Works 2-ball Fang Tank

sharkhark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2017, 07:39 AM   #18
mcgsxr
Tour Pro

If they are truly committed to speeding up play, putting the players on a public clock (shot clock?) and enforcing it is the only way.

It does represent some departure from the formal rules of the game I suspect, but would do wonders for the game.

I am confident that it would not take more than 2-3 players losing a stroke to start the whole group coming around.

+1 to what Sharkhark said - other than the Majors, I intend to record a lot of the rounds this year vs watching live. It was a revelation last year, that hitting the +30 seconds button did not have me missing many shots...

In the Ogio Atlas for riding or Ogio Vaporlite for carrying:

Ping G2 with HOT PINK Grafalloy Bimatrix
Srixon W-403 AD 5 wood
Nike 23 degree hybrid
Ping eye2+ irons 5-PW
Cleveland CG14 Gunmetal 52, 56
Bronze Ping Anser 3 with Tigershark grip
mcgsxr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2017, 07:59 AM   #19
spinaltap
Low Handicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgsxr View Post
+1 to what Sharkhark said - other than the Majors, I intend to record a lot of the rounds this year vs watching live. It was a revelation last year, that hitting the +30 seconds button did not have me missing many shots...
I think i'll have to start doing this as well. And you're right it's funny to push the FF +30 second button and still have the same player setting up for his shot.

As for the question that weirfan posted, I think amateur pace of play is a more multi-factorial. As much as I do think younger players are mimicking their idols on tour there may be other influences such as how tee times are spread out on a given course. This added with players playing the wrong set of tees, playing multiple balls off the tee and no marshalls to speak of all add minutes to our games.

Ironically here we are complaining of slow pace of play on TV and the pga needs to penalize players, the same thing needs to be done on our local courses. I've been playing for 20 years now and I have yet to see a slow group in front of me being asked to pick up their golf balls and move to the next tee due to slow play....yes I know i'm a small sample size but I think most of you will agree that enforcement on our local courses is also atrocious
spinaltap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2017, 08:03 AM   #20
Shankopotamus
Scratch Golfer

I have no problem with JDays remarks, and I don't think pros playing slow has any effect on the pace amateurs play with. Most amateurs I've seen don't even putt anything inside 2 feet and I think that's where pros are noticeably slower than amateurs. My experience has been that the leading cause of slow play among amateurs is that they simply aren't very good at golf and take a long time and many strokes to get the ball in the hole. That and some do not seem care about the people playing behind them.

Most amateurs have no clue what pros are thinking about when they are taking their time before a shot, so to try to play slow just because pros do it would be extremely foolish. There are probably some idiots who do it, but I don't think it is anywhere close to being the main cause of slow play.
Titleist AP1 714 4-6
Titleist AP2 714 7-PW
Vokey 50* 56* 62*
Scotty Cameron A.O.P. Newport
Bridgestone E6
Shankopotamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:11 AM   #21
mcgsxr
Tour Pro

I meant to post in the general thread about pace of play vs this one specifically about Jason.

They could all speed it up really.

I can hack out a 115 round in 4 hours with 6 lost balls.

Their talent could support a better pace, but there is no incentive it seems.

In the Ogio Atlas for riding or Ogio Vaporlite for carrying:

Ping G2 with HOT PINK Grafalloy Bimatrix
Srixon W-403 AD 5 wood
Nike 23 degree hybrid
Ping eye2+ irons 5-PW
Cleveland CG14 Gunmetal 52, 56
Bronze Ping Anser 3 with Tigershark grip
mcgsxr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:17 PM   #22
bamafan1991
Mid Handicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinaltap View Post
I think i'll have to start doing this as well. And you're right it's funny to push the FF +30 second button and still have the same player setting up for his shot.

As for the question that weirfan posted, I think amateur pace of play is a more multi-factorial. As much as I do think younger players are mimicking their idols on tour there may be other influences such as how tee times are spread out on a given course. This added with players playing the wrong set of tees, playing multiple balls off the tee and no marshalls to speak of all add minutes to our games.

Ironically here we are complaining of slow pace of play on TV and the pga needs to penalize players, the same thing needs to be done on our local courses. I've been playing for 20 years now and I have yet to see a slow group in front of me being asked to pick up their golf balls and move to the next tee due to slow play....yes I know i'm a small sample size but I think most of you will agree that enforcement on our local courses is also atrocious

I've never tried FF'ing golf but its great for watching NFL/CFL. Data states that the ball is only in play for 11 minutes of a 60 minute football game. And often pro teams dont snap the ball until 10 seconds or less left in the 40 second play clock. So you get to fast forward through all the pre-snap uselessness, watch the play, FF through most of the play clock, same goes for commercials and most of halftime. Cuts a three hour game to an hour or less.
bamafan1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2017, 03:43 PM   #23
4underthru9
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkhark View Post
I just wanted to add that I specifically set out to tape the golf I watch now for this reason.
Fast forward thru commercials.
Find a guy or girl that's got a crouch & back off then back in and back off routine I fast forward that.
Walking around before set up I skip that too.
I couldn't take it anymore and now I avoid reading the results and watch a 3 hour broadcast on half the time.
You lose a bit of the build up to shots, the rhythm but less painful overall.
I'm sure many think like me and do similar.
Definitely the way to go, I'll add that I also FF through some of the mindless talk from some commentators.
4underthru9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2017, 04:54 PM   #24
gatsby
Tour Pro

Shark's comments are right on. I want to watch. I like watching the shots. I just cannot endure the whole 4 days . So I too will attempt to watch a tape. And use fast forward and not try to use this site to find out the results
Old Jan 12, 2017, 01:30 AM   #25
ManFromMoffat
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamafan1991 View Post
I've never tried FF'ing golf but its great for watching NFL/CFL. Data states that the ball is only in play for 11 minutes of a 60 minute football game. And often pro teams dont snap the ball until 10 seconds or less left in the 40 second play clock. So you get to fast forward through all the pre-snap uselessness, watch the play, FF through most of the play clock, same goes for commercials and most of halftime. Cuts a three hour game to an hour or less.
Sometimes I do like to hear the banter between plays -- particularly in the first few minutes when they're exhausting their "We spoke to Billy Bob on Friday and ..." material. Otherwise, the 30 second skip button on my PVR control suits the NFL previously. Except of course when the offense goes hurry-up.