Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum  

Go Back   Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum > Golf Discussion Forum > Club Fitting
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old Dec 28, 2016, 05:09 PM   #76
Jasonp
Club Pro

Default Re: MOI fittings

Oh I don't disagree dan. U do anphenomal job with what you have.

Was just a mere suggestion.

At the very least though I'd get a net to hit into and a dry erase marker to test impact.

I do believe Length and lie are very important. But weight to me is the most.

If I swing clubs that are too light i get over the top and easily out of sync. So it could cause problem potentially when finding someone the right set in your TLT series.

i was lucky as none of your sets were overtly light weight for me.
3H-------Cobra King F6 (20.5) Fujikura Motore Speeder 9.8 TS S 39.4"
DHY------Adams Super DHY (21) Matrix White Tie S 39.75"
Irons------Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW C Taper S
Wedges---Cleveland RTX 3 (52/MG 58/LG) C Taper S/KBS 610 Wedge S
Putter-----Ping Cadence TR Sheah H w/ Flatso 1.0
TLT'D @ Dans Custom Golf
Jasonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2016, 04:08 AM   #77
veryold
Tour Pro

my comments in bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonp View Post
At the very least though I'd get a net to hit into and a dry erase marker to test impact.
Wait a second, and this is probably the dumbest question on my part, but how is the fitting done without these items ??? The impact tape is one of the most important items i have in my bag, especially when i go to the range to "work" on something

But weight to me is the most.
Same here. Golf swing is a pure physics double pendulum phenomenon which can only work at its max. speed with one, and only one set of parameters, weight being the most critical one

Last edited by veryold; Dec 29, 2016 at 04:39 AM.
veryold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2016, 04:37 AM   #78
nearace
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryold View Post
my comments in bold
Weight does have it problems, swing speed may change, faster is longer.
nearace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2016, 04:43 AM   #79
veryold
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearace View Post
Very good observation, nearace
But the increased speed, with presumably lighter clubs has intrigued me for years. Not to mention that the light club heads are more prone to "ruin/punish" of-center hits, no ?
Old Dec 29, 2016, 04:52 AM   #80
Tintin
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by danscustomgolfshop View Post
The hard part about increasing the fitting rack is the amount of clubs required. Currently there are near 150 fitting clubs in my shop and if we added 3 weight categories we would be 450 clubs - just for fitting.
I can see where this can get very problematic inventory and dollar wise with all the available series. I could see a possible solution or rather a cheaper alternative. It wouldn't be perfect but very practical.

Longer customized grips with coloured lines for different series. The customer could grip up or down depending on the series. Tapered shafts for different flexes( I know IQ-not frequency matched blah blah but better than having 1500 shafts tipped differently for each series) Club-connex adapter and Maltby KE4 heads for adjusting head weight( 0 to 16 grams adjustability)

Keep up the good work Dan and most of all thank you for your patience and dedication.
Tintin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2016, 05:00 AM   #81
Tintin
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearace View Post
Not a physicist by a long shot. Let's take a hammer for example.
A longer lighter hammer may have more speed but a shorter heavier hammer will drive the nail more readily wouldn't you say?

The SL proponents claim this is what happens with the heavier shorter 4 or 5 iron.

I believe Tutelman or Jorgensen( The physics of Golf) wrote an article as to where the line must be drawn as far as maximum head and shaft weight is concerned
Old Dec 29, 2016, 05:10 AM   #82
Tintin
Tour Pro

Found the article:
http://www.tutelman.com/golf/clubs/h...length_cochran
Old Dec 29, 2016, 05:27 AM   #83
veryold
Tour Pro

Kinetic energy of the club head is 1/2mv(square). So the club head speed contributes much more than its mass. But, as mentioned, off-centered contacts are the problem with light heads, ie., less MOI of the club head. I did an experiment last Summer, with my old and trusty R7 quad driver, by putting all four weights as 1gr. The thing was feather light to swing, and it was "swooshing" with a higher speed, no questions, but boy, 1/2' of center was 30 yards off-line.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 04:08 PM   #84
danscustomgolfshop
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
I can see where this can get very problematic inventory and dollar wise with all the available series. I could see a possible solution or rather a cheaper alternative. It wouldn't be perfect but very practical.

Longer customized grips with coloured lines for different series. The customer could grip up or down depending on the series. Tapered shafts for different flexes( I know IQ-not frequency matched blah blah but better than having 1500 shafts tipped differently for each series) Club-connex adapter and Maltby KE4 heads for adjusting head weight( 0 to 16 grams adjustability)

Keep up the good work Dan and most of all thank you for your patience and dedication.
Thanks for the suggestion - I appreciate the thought, but since my greatest priority is always length and lie I like to have the ability to put a 4 iron, 7 iron and PW into my players hands without having to do any form of adjustment.

With 16 adult fitting charts this is 48 clubs that allow me the luxury of fine tuning the required lengths with the greatest of ease. With a logical starting point we move up and down a Series or 2 allowing the player to gain confidence in what Series will be the target build or retrofit.

Players know when they are standing athletic and if I can get all 3 clubs - long, mid and short - within the target TLT Series to feel absolutely right the fit sells itself.

I do a great amount of observation and point out anything that I see, so both myself and my player can be 100% sure that the fit is right. Fitting with just a single mid iron with a couple different lengths, where the customer has to make adjustments just doesn't comply with my fitting theories.

Dan's Custom Golf Shop
True Length Technology TM
Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
True Frequency Technology TM
- Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
- Master
Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
- Advanced / Professional
Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
- Class 'A'

Phone : 905-263-8510
Hampton, ON
Appointment only
Web site www.truelengthtechnology.com
E-mail: danscustomgolfshop@hotmail.com
danscustomgolfshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2016, 04:15 PM   #85
danscustomgolfshop
Sponsor

Quote:
Kinetic energy of the club head is 1/2mv(square). So the club head speed contributes much more than its mass. But, as mentioned, off-centered contacts are the problem with light heads, ie., less MOI of the club head. I did an experiment last Summer, with my old and trusty R7 quad driver, by putting all four weights as 1gr. The thing was feather light to swing, and it was "swooshing" with a higher speed, no questions, but boy, 1/2' of center was 30 yards off-line.
Shaft weight (total weight) is always a consideration. I have a separate fitting rack of irons that have shaft weights from 40 - 130g so the player can feel if a certain weight class will feel too light or heavy.

I too cannot stand the feel of a 'too light' of club. I do use a 75g ACCRA driver shaft with a D5 swingweight on my Geek driver. When reducing the length of a driver the head weight often does become light feeling so retrofits need to be a bit careful as to how much length you can remove before loosing the feel of the head. Head weight often needs to be added to create the feel without loosing where the head is during the swing.

Dan's Custom Golf Shop
True Length Technology TM
Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
True Frequency Technology TM
- Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
- Master
Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
- Advanced / Professional
Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
- Class 'A'

Phone : 905-263-8510
Hampton, ON
Appointment only
Web site www.truelengthtechnology.com
E-mail: danscustomgolfshop@hotmail.com
danscustomgolfshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2016, 07:46 AM   #86
bl8d
Tour Pro

Quote:
go back and look for the "featherweight" club craze of the late '70 early '80 to see what a "feel" disaster it was for most.
The need for more speed was a short lived exercise in miss-guided futility.

Ping i25, PWR75 s
TM 3w-200,s300
Mizuno 21, Graf blue
SH2H 3-Pw,
Clev 588-52,56
Cal i-Trax
bl8d is offline   Reply With Quote