Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum  

Go Back   Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum > Golf Discussion Forum > Golf Courses
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old Dec 31, 2016, 03:00 PM   #1
quickgreens
Banned

Default Most over-rated golf course in the Toronto area that you played in 2016.

Angus Glen gets my vote as the most over-rated in 2016. What do you think?
quickgreens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2016, 03:22 PM   #2
Big Shooter
Tour Pro

Default Re: Most over-rated golf course in the Toronto area that you played in 2016.

Ballantrae
Big Shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2016, 03:25 PM   #3
quickgreens
Banned

Default Re: Most over-rated golf course in the Toronto area that you played in 2016.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shooter View Post
Ballantrae
I never thought it was that great. Happy New Year, Big Shooter.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 03:30 PM   #4
Big Shooter
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickgreens View Post
I never thought it was that great. Happy New Year, Big Shooter.

the fanboys will be along soon
Old Dec 31, 2016, 04:38 PM   #5
pudubny
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shooter View Post
the fanboys will be along soon
Easy Big Shooter. I don't know anyone who thinks it's great, just a very good value especially if you buy the prepaid packages. The par 3's are above average as a group, 17 is exceptional. Green complexes are interesting. Fairways are generous but the around the greens is difficult which is a nice balance.
pudubny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2016, 06:01 PM   #6
gimmeabogey
Tour Pro

I don't know about over rated, whose rating are we using? However I do know some over priced courses.

Richmond Hill $80/$90 <<<that's the biggest joke
St.Andrews Valley $89/$99
Royal Woodbine $99 <<<pretty close second
Pheasant Run $69/$79
Pipers Heath $90

You can add some of the $150+ courses to that list. Copper Head, Bond Head etc. I'm not saying they are not good, they just charge more than what I think they're worth.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 06:22 PM   #7
quickgreens
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmeabogey View Post
I don't know about over rated, whose rating are we using? However I do know some over priced courses.

Richmond Hill $80/$90 <<<that's the biggest joke
St.Andrews Valley $89/$99
Royal Woodbine $99 <<<pretty close second
Pheasant Run $69/$79
Pipers Heath $90

You can add some of the $150+ courses to that list. Copper Head, Bond Head etc. I'm not saying they are not good, they just charge more than what I think they're worth.
Over-rated...over-priced...who cares? There are courses out there that many people consider to be wonderful for no really good reason. What course do you think is over-rated by the golf community? Not a very difficult question. You know...a course that thinks it is the **** but is just ordinary at best.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 06:39 PM   #8
kich
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudubny View Post
Easy Big Shooter. I don't know anyone who thinks it's great, just a very good value especially if you buy the prepaid packages. The par 3's are above average as a group, 17 is exceptional. Green complexes are interesting. Fairways are generous but the around the greens is difficult which is a nice balance.
What is exceptional about the 17th hole?
kich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2016, 06:41 PM   #9
quickgreens
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kich View Post
What is exceptional about the 17th hole?
Absolutely nothing.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 06:51 PM   #10
pudubny
Tour Pro

Quote:
Absolutely nothing.
I disagree, it's a semi-Redan design. The green is sloped from right to left, significantly. So aiming at several pin positions is not always the best play. For example, When the pin is front right, you are actually better off landing your ball to the right of the green and letting it roll on if you want to get it close, especially if you hit a draw. If you land your ball 4 feet left of the pin, you will likely have at least a 15ft coming back to it. Not unusual to have a much longer putt in that situation because the slope takes it away from the flag. Their are several pin positions like that on that green. very few par 3's or greens in general make you think about not aiming at the flag if you want to get it close much less aiming away from the green.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 09:14 PM   #11
AverageJoe
Tour Pro

Goodness, did you start this thread with the sole purpose of being sour?

Last edited by Mule56; Jan 1, 2017 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Removed deleted quote
AverageJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2016, 09:32 PM   #12
quickgreens
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoe View Post
Goodness, did you start this thread with the sole purpose of being sour?
Maybe I did.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 02:32 AM   #13
Mule56
Greenskeeper

Quote:
Maybe I did.
Maybe I'll put an end to it.
Hybrids - Titleist 910 H w/Diamana Kal'li
Irons - Wilson FG Tour V2 w/KBS Tours
Wedges - Wilson FG Tours w/TT DG SPinners
Putter - Scotty Cameron Red X
MEMBER OF THE 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!
Mule56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2017, 03:04 AM   #14
mpare
Tour Pro

i can see that no grass will be growing under your feet in 2017.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule56 View Post
Maybe I'll put an end to it.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 03:14 AM   #15
4underthru9
Tour Pro

My pick goes to "Wooden Sticks", I know many will disagree but in my time played it probably 20 times and though it has some fascinating holes some of the so called duplicates are a bit of a joke, especially if you have actually played the originals.
Why play it 20 times you ask, because in the days of government approved tax write offs it was a dream place to take clients and prospects.
Where else could you get all this included:
Breakfast or Lunch.
All the Practice Range time you needed with the help of a teaching Pro.
Eighteen Holes of Golf.
Lunch or Dinner.
Some Great Pro Shop deals.
At least 6 hours of fun time Face to Face with a client or prospect
all on the company Master Card: PRICELESS.
As a Golf Course though, IMO, overrated.
4underthru9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2017, 03:51 AM   #16
pudubny
Tour Pro

4under,
I always thought the course was overrated. It's disjointed. Links style holes, wasteland and then an island green. Great piece of land, I would have liked to see what could have been built with original ideas. Everything else was fine.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 04:00 AM   #17
goshawk
Tour Pro

Another very subjective thread?

To some members, the vast majority of courses in the GTA that charge over $60 per round are over-rated. Their idea of value is a slightly challenging lay-out that's in good condition (green speed around 8-9, green fairways, playable bunkers). There are enough of these courses to keep those golfers satisfied.
To other members, the same could be said of any course that charges $125 or close to it. But because of their architect or huge clubhouse or location or some outside influence (i.e. magazine article) it's said to be a "top 100" course, they feel like it MUST be worth the extra money. The course may spend a bit more on pesticides/fertilizer so it looks "lush" and the greens may run 9-10, but it's mostly it's "reputation" that encourages golfers to pay more.
At the end of the day, it's all in the mind of the individual golfer as to which course deserves it's high price. I've played several courses in Ontario with either members or as a guest of someone with half-price coupons that are just another course in good condition that I wouldn't ordinarily pay to play because I just don't see where it's worth the extra dollars. I've also played lots of courses around the US that were so much more interesting, challenging and in better condition than some high-end courses in the GTA for much less than half the price. Personally, I'd much rather pay to play at a course that doesn't have a monstrous elaborate clubhouse (the cost of which must be covered in the green fee) but the conditions were good. But in the end, the golfer still has to hit the appropriate shot and make the appropriate putt to "beat" the course. It generally makes no difference who designed the course or the lay-out or course condition (as long as the greens are consistent from 1-18). Until the golfer can do that on a consistent basis, it's a totally subjective exercise deciding which course(s) might be over-rated.

But then, that's just my opinion....
Old Jan 1, 2017, 04:15 AM   #18
Cdntac
Tour Pro

I find Deer Creek to be a little over rated.

Actually, perhaps I'm associating over rated with over priced.

Deer Creek is a bit more $$ than it should be IMO though no doubt taxes are high and there's something to be said for convenience since it's so close to Whitby and I'd bet many people don't want to drive a bit further north.
Cdntac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2017, 04:39 AM   #19
sauerkraut
Club Pro

For myself in 2016...

Public: Wooden Sticks. With apologies to The Olde Hide House, it's not worth the drive to Uxbridge.

Private: Oakdale. For $125(+)K initiation, I was expecting more of a "wow" factor. Instead I got warnings about how polluted the Black Creek was.
sauerkraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2017, 06:07 AM   #20
4wedges
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshawk View Post
Another very subjective thread?

To some members, the vast majority of courses in the GTA that charge over $60 per round are over-rated. Their idea of value is a slightly challenging lay-out that's in good condition (green speed around 8-9, green fairways, playable bunkers). There are enough of these courses to keep those golfers satisfied.
To other members, the same could be said of any course that charges $125 or close to it. But because of their architect or huge clubhouse or location or some outside influence (i.e. magazine article) it's said to be a "top 100" course, they feel like it MUST be worth the extra money. The course may spend a bit more on pesticides/fertilizer so it looks "lush" and the greens may run 9-10, but it's mostly it's "reputation" that encourages golfers to pay more.
At the end of the day, it's all in the mind of the individual golfer as to which course deserves it's high price. I've played several courses in Ontario with either members or as a guest of someone with half-price coupons that are just another course in good condition that I wouldn't ordinarily pay to play because I just don't see where it's worth the extra dollars. I've also played lots of courses around the US that were so much more interesting, challenging and in better condition than some high-end courses in the GTA for much less than half the price. Personally, I'd much rather pay to play at a course that doesn't have a monstrous elaborate clubhouse (the cost of which must be covered in the green fee) but the conditions were good. But in the end, the golfer still has to hit the appropriate shot and make the appropriate putt to "beat" the course. It generally makes no difference who designed the course or the lay-out or course condition (as long as the greens are consistent from 1-18). Until the golfer can do that on a consistent basis, it's a totally subjective exercise deciding which course(s) might be over-rated.

But then, that's just my opinion....
Excellent post.
4wedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2017, 06:43 AM   #21
4underthru9
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wedges View Post
Excellent post.
Maybe, but where was the answer to OP question?
4underthru9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2017, 06:56 AM   #22
goshawk
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4underthru9 View Post
Maybe, but where was the answer to OP question?
It's very subjective IMO, but any course that charges more than $50 with a cart is over-charging. It may not apply in every single case, but most of the high-end courses that I've checked out charge a premium based mostly on their "reputation/rating" with sportswriters & other "disinterested" parties.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 07:30 AM   #23
AverageJoe
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudubny View Post
4under,
I always thought the course was overrated. It's disjointed. Links style holes, wasteland and then an island green. Great piece of land, I would have liked to see what could have been built with original ideas. Everything else was fine.
I would tend to agree that Wooden Sticks is overrated, though it is fun to play.

That said, I don't believe the property is very good for golf at all. It's very separated, and with the obvious restrictions they had, I don't think they could have ever had anything but cart golf there.
AverageJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2017, 07:43 AM   #24
bigred
Scratch Golfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshawk View Post
It's very subjective IMO, but any course that charges more than $50 with a cart is over-charging. It may not apply in every single case, but most of the high-end courses that I've checked out charge a premium based mostly on their "reputation/rating" with sportswriters & other "disinterested" parties.
Any course more than $50 with a cart is over-charging?

I'd personally love to see a thread listing the posted/rack rates of several courses, and then what TGN members think is actually a reasonable price for each.
bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2017, 07:45 AM   #25
Big Shooter
Tour Pro

Played Wooden Sticks for the FIRST time late last year (you can say that about 2016 now!)

I really liked it. Great variety of holes, great conditions

Won't hurry back at the price they charge