Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum  

Go Back   Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum > Golf Discussion Forum > Golf Courses
Forgot Password? Join Us!

GTA Golf Club

Old Jan 1, 2017, 08:02 AM   #26
Weirfan
Tour Pro

Default Re: Most over-rated golf course in the Toronto area that you played in 2016.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shooter View Post
Played Wooden Sticks for the FIRST time late last year (you can say that about 2016 now!)

I really liked it. Great variety of holes, great conditions

Won't hurry back at the price they charge
I try and get out there each year and always enjoy my day. I think it's a spectacular piece of property with excellent golf and conditions that are equal to the best private clubs.

Yes, a couple of the replica holes are not the best done (road hole and 12 at Augusta come to mind) but they give you a sense of the shot.

If you plY the long weekend shot guns, or some of the other times of year where it can be played for $125 with meals or $100 without ( fall) it represents a fair price IMO. Often they toss in a gift too, we got a jacket last fall.
I usually pick up one of their Christmas packages ,nice golf shirt, hat , round of golf and the meals for $150 .

I noticed you said Ballantrae was overrated, I've played it a few hundred times and while there are aspects that I don't like ( bunkers), hole 1 and 10 are weak , I think it's a very good golf course with a nice mix of holes, challenging especially if the wind is up , great service and always in great shape ( bunkers excepted) and for $65 with the passes for golf and cart or Golfnow is a great price.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 09:23 AM   #27
Bellyhungry
Tour Pro

Default Re: Most over-rated golf course in the Toronto area that you played in 2016.

I wouldn't say Ballantrae is over rated. I recall someone comparing their upside down saucer greens to that of Pinehurst #2.

I am kind of agreeing with Wooden Sticks being over rated.
Bellyhungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2017, 02:06 PM   #28
ScottyCB3605
Duffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickgreens View Post
Angus Glen gets my vote as the most over-rated in 2016. What do you think?
I'll second that motion. My first time back to Angus Glen in 10 years was one giant disappointment.
ScottyCB3605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2017, 02:14 PM   #29
Arthur Dailey
Tour Pro

Quote:
Ballantrae
Since I consider Ballantrae Golf and Country Club to be my home course, let me defend its honour.

Doug Carrick designed 4 golf courses in relatively the same geographic area and with comparable topography. Lebovic, Angus, Granite and Ballantrae. I have played 3 of these courses, dozens of times and Lebovic 3 times.

In my estimation, Ballantrae is certainly neither the 'worst' or the most 'over rated' of these courses. Each of these courses have their own strengths and weaknesses however in any of the variables listed in our 'best course' rating thread Ballantrae is competitive in each variable listed.

Yes there are some weaknesses but I will leave these for others to discuss.
Arthur Dailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2017, 02:25 PM   #30
Big Shooter
Tour Pro

Just my OPINION folks, it was my least favourite (all things considered...price, layout, conditions & of course, how I played!!)
Big Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2017, 02:30 PM   #31
P25
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
Since I consider Ballantrae Golf and Country Club to be my home course, let me defend its honour.

Doug Carrick designed 4 golf courses in relatively the same geographic area and with comparable topography. Lebovic, Angus, Granite and Ballantrae. I have played 3 of these courses, dozens of times and Lebovic 3 times.

In my estimation, Ballantrae is certainly neither the 'worst' or the most 'over rated' of these courses. Each of these courses have their own strengths and weaknesses however in any of the variables listed in our 'best course' rating thread Ballantrae is competitive in each variable listed.

Yes there are some weaknesses but I will leave these for others to discuss.
Granite is McBroom.

I don't have a problem with Ballantrae. I think it's fair value. Golf in the GTA is expensive. People who want to pay less than $50 to play golf here are going to have to live with the Annandale's and Foxbridge's of the world.
P25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2017, 03:35 PM   #32
Weirfan
Tour Pro

Quote:
Just my OPINION folks, it was my least favourite (all things considered...price, layout, conditions & of course, how I played!!)
Was this your first time playing it ?

I ask because it has a habit of kicking people's arse first time out. it was my home course for many ,many years and I have seen many good golfers ( including single digit caps) not break 90 first time out. Even still it can kick my arse, I shot 76 and 92 in back to back days there , day 2 was a huge West wind.

Course looks benign and is for the most part off the tee but unless you know the green complexes and where to land the ball and from what angle for it to stay on the green, you can be left with lots of chipping from run off areas below the green to undulated turtle backed green's. They have made things easier in recent years by making the greens less firm and more receptive.

For me it's one of those courses that I never get bored playing because of the challenge that th wind and green complexes provide
Old Jan 1, 2017, 04:28 PM   #33
Big Shooter
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirfan View Post
Was this your first time playing it ?
Nope, probably played it 10 times over the years

Yes, it's got the better of me most of the time, but I'm not that good anyway! If I'd only played SAV once this year, might have been a different story!
Old Jan 1, 2017, 04:50 PM   #34
Weirfan
Tour Pro

Quote:
Nope, probably played it 10 times over the years

Yes, it's got the better of me most of the time, but I'm not that good anyway! If I'd only played SAV once this year, might have been a different story!
SAV has been my home course ( past 3 years) since being at Ballantrae. completely different course, unlike Ballantrae much of the difficulty comes off the tee. If you are up this way, let's play.

I like them both quite a bit
Old Jan 1, 2017, 05:12 PM   #35
P25
Tour Pro

Big fan of St.Andrews Valley. Great test. My only knock on it would be the par 5's.

My choice for "overrated" or overpriced would have to be Angus Glen.
P25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2017, 06:16 PM   #36
Arthur Dailey
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by P25 View Post
Granite is McBroom.

I don't have a problem with Ballantrae. I think it's fair value. Golf in the GTA is expensive. People who want to pay less than $50 to play golf here are going to have to live with the Annandale's and Foxbridge's of the world.
Yes, Granite is McBroom. A memory lapse, that I am blaming on the day Was actually there one day when he was on-site. Have a 'love/hate' relationship with his designs. Originally preferred him to Carrick however as I got older and shorter off the tee, have started to resent his penchant for forced carries.

Also agree re: Angus. When it opened it was the first 'high end' public course in the eastern part of the GTA. It's only competition as a 'public course, with private course amenities' at that time in the GTA would have been The Abbey and Lionhead. And neither get 100% acceptance as 'great' courses. Angus gained further acclaim due to the high quality of its customer service under Kevin Thistle. It got further cachet for hosting Canadian Opens.

However if ranking it on the values that have been discussed on another thread, I would also agree that it is over rated.

Last edited by Arthur Dailey; Jan 1, 2017 at 06:23 PM.
Arthur Dailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2017, 07:19 PM   #37
Big Shooter
Tour Pro

odd that almost every course mentioned is East of Yonge!
Old Jan 2, 2017, 04:17 AM   #38
stuart
Mid Handicapper

Maybe I missed it but Lebovic at $300 a round.
stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2017, 04:25 AM   #39
fourputt
Tour Pro

Quote:
odd that almost every course mentioned is East of Yonge!
Not odd at all. Everyone knows that once crossed over, you've entered a barren wasteland not unlike a scene from Mad Max. Did you also ever notice that the painted median running down the centre of Yonge St. is completely worn out on the east side while the west side gleams like diamonds? The stripe you can see is ACTUALLY ONLY the western half! East-enders have stripped off their half to turn into a disgusting paste with which they feed their children. I no longer "cross over" for fear of losing my shoe laces to their sewer dwelling "Lace-a-saurus".
fourputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2017, 04:43 AM   #40
gotogolf
Tour Pro

Nothing West can be called Over-rated because none are considered good......

Lionhead get's slammed over and over (as does Glen Abbey). Outside those two (and maybe Royal Ontario), the only other with followers here is Pipers Heath.

Every other is considered probably low end imo.

I'd throw in Turnberry..... The # here gushing over a par 3 course always surprises me.

That's another reason I went private. I got tired of having to find a public course at a decent price (and yes I pay way more now) where I could play at a good pace.
gotogolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2017, 07:30 AM   #41
Big Shooter
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotogolf View Post
Nothing West can be called Over-rated because none are considered good......
Every other is considered probably low end imo.
Right, I forgot where EAGLES NEST and COPPER CREEK are!?
Old Jan 2, 2017, 07:35 AM   #42
Ignatius Reilly
Tour Pro

Quote:
Maybe he considers those "low end"?

I'm trying to think of any other "good" courses West of the city. Maybe some sort of 54-hole place that never gets much love....
Old Jan 2, 2017, 09:16 AM   #43
Big Shooter
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
Maybe he considers those "low end"?

I'm trying to think of any other "good" courses West of the city. Maybe some sort of 54-hole place that never gets much love....
Old Vienna I think it's called?
Old Jan 2, 2017, 09:38 AM   #44
gotogolf
Tour Pro

Quote:
Consider those and Osprey north........ Heck Osprey is Orangeville...... I have a funny view of Toronto.......
gotogolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2017, 09:56 AM   #45
DCR23
Mid Handicapper

I wasn't as impressed with Glen Abby, my expectations based on the price /exclusivity may have been high but that comes to my mind on this thread.
I may feel different if I played it in stroke play, but the only time I can play is at the company tourney and its scramble.
DCR23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:03 AM   #46
AverageJoe
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCR23 View Post
I wasn't as impressed with Glen Abby, my expectations based on the price /exclusivity may have been high but that comes to my mind on this thread.
I may feel different if I played it in stroke play, but the only time I can play is at the company tourney and its scramble.
If you went to play Glen Abbey thinking it had any sort of "exclusivity," there's no way you were ever coming out of there impressed in any manner.
AverageJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:33 AM   #47
Smittyman
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCR23 View Post
Other than the valley holes, which are quite scenic IMO, I didn't find the course that impressive.
Smittyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:40 AM   #48
Trips
Scratch Golfer

Played Sleepy Hollow this year and was quite disappointed.
Trips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:47 AM   #49
Ignatius Reilly
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittyman View Post
Other than the valley holes, which are quite scenic IMO, I didn't find the course that impressive.
I think it would be a great course at $80. But it's not.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 11:02 AM   #50
Smittyman
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
I think it would be a great course at $80. But it's not.
Agreed. But a lot of courses would be more appealing at 40 - 50% off the rack rate.
Smittyman is offline   Reply With Quote