Collapse

best route to drive to Florida

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best route to drive to Florida

So - haven't driven there since university. For an end of November drive, what's the best route to take?
    Driver: yup..5 of those
    3 Wood: 'bout 4
    Hybrid: few..couple of tour issue
    Irons: Too many but AP2 for now
    Wedges: Lots
    Putter: A016836

Re: best route to drive to Florida

Originally posted by Blassy View Post
    So - haven't driven there since university. For an end of November drive, what's the best route to take?
    We go every Xmas, the fastest way is through Buffalo, a little more traffic, you don't want to go through the Mountains at night or early morning for the risk of fog or snow, you should be ok for not running into any snow storms but you can never count on that.

The longer and scenic way is through Windsor, less chance of snow and a few hrs more, we will most likely go through Buffalo again as it was faster and is very pretty going through the Mts last yr, just time your driving,

Through Buffalo you also need to time your stops as there are a lot less places to gas up and to sleep, through the Windsor way you will never be without a gas station, hotels or food as they are all over the place.
    Thomas4golf

Ping G425 Max/Tensei AV Orange
    Callaway XR Hybrids, 4, 5, 6 Accra I-Series
    Miura TC-201 / 6 - PW N.S. Pro 950 GH
    Callaway Jaws Raw /50* 54* 58* N.S. Modus
    Ferrules by Bbandfco

Putter / Ping Prime Tyne 4
    Pro V1x Left Dash
    Leupold GX - 5C R.F.

Vessel Player 111 Stand Bag / Black
    Stewart X9

Member: Coppinwood Golf Club

Comment

I've driven all 3 ways (Windsor, Buffalo and Gananoque) and I enjoyed the trip through Windsor the most. Going straight down I-75 to Tampa was a good drive with little to no construction either time I've been and the mountains were a non-issue. Although I've only done it in the spring, I wouldn't imagine the roads wouldn't be a problem when you go. And there are so many places to stop for food and lodging!
      Last year I made the trip in 18 hours from front door to my daughter's place. Most of it was the first day, driving to Knoxville before stopping for the night. I thought going through the middle of Atlanta early (8:00) on a Tuesday morning would be a nightmare, but it was less congested than 401 traffic and it kept moving at 35mph+. Once I crossed I-20 in downtown Atlanta, it was back to normal highway speed.
      U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

thanks.
        Live in Niagara so Buffalo is certainly preferable.
        It's going to be myself, wife and our 1 year old so trying to space it out over 3 days of driving. Figure 6 hours or so of driving each day lands us aroound west virginia and north carolina so hoping to find some Ok places to stay as those seem to be major hubs.
        Driver: yup..5 of those
        3 Wood: 'bout 4
        Hybrid: few..couple of tour issue
        Irons: Too many but AP2 for now
        Wedges: Lots
        Putter: A016836

Comment

Originally posted by hannah View Post
          We go every Xmas, the fastest way is through Buffalo, a little more traffic, you don't want to go through the Mountains at night or early morning for the risk of DEER, you should be ok for not running into any snow storms but you can never count on that.

The longer and scenic way is through Windsor, less chance of snow and a few hrs more, we will most likely go through Buffalo again as it was faster and is very pretty going through the Mts last yr, just time your driving,

Through Buffalo you also need to time your stops as there are a lot less places to gas up and to sleep, through the Windsor way you will never be without a gas station, hotels or food as they are all over the place.
          Fixed that for ya for the REAL THREAT!!
          Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post
            Fixed that for ya for the REAL THREAT!!
            We saw more snow than deer!!! but they certainly are a real threat thats for sure, I like going through buffalo as it really cuts off a # of hrs off the driving
            Thomas4golf

Ferrules by Bbandfco

Pro V1x Left Dash
            Leupold GX - 5C R.F.

Stewart X9

Comment

We drive the Virginia route every year. Based on the wanky weather so far this fall I think we will be taking I-75 this year.

Three days is a long time for driving down. I realize we are little crazy and do the drive non stop but even when the kids were babies there was only one year we did it with a stop. (and mainly because the Mr. and I were both struck with projectile nausea...thanks kids) Why not split it into two days vs three?

I actually found it easier to drive non stop when the kids were younger. A little bit of baby gravol and out like lights. Now the four of them are kind of annoying. (kidding...sort of)

Depending on how we feel we may do it in two days this year with a stop in and around Knoxville if we take i-75 or Charlotte if we do -95 route.

Comment

Originally posted by Frorose View Post
                We drive the Virginia route every year. Based on the wanky weather so far this fall I think we will be taking I-75 this year.

Three days is a long time for driving down. I realize we are little crazy and do the drive non stop but even when the kids were babies there was only one year we did it with a stop. (and mainly because the Mr. and I were both struck with projectile nausea...thanks kids) Why not split it into two days vs three?

I actually found it easier to drive non stop when the kids were younger. A little bit of baby gravol and out like lights. Now the four of them are kind of annoying. (kidding...sort of)

Depending on how we feel we may do it in two days this year with a stop in and around Knoxville if we take i-75 or Charlotte if we do -95 route.
                We leave about 7am Sat. morning and stop around 11pm with reservations we make ahead of time, we then get in hollywood late on Sunday around supper time, then I flake out around the pool for a few hrs the next day and golf in the pm if weather is permitting
                Thomas4golf

Ferrules by Bbandfco

Pro V1x Left Dash
                Leupold GX - 5C R.F.

Stewart X9

Comment

I realize we are little crazy and do the drive non stop but even when the kids were babies there was only one year we did it with a stop. (and mainly because the Mr. and I were both struck with projectile nausea...
                  Cheap Motel's have a cure for that!!!
                  Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post
                    Cheap Motel's have a cure for that!!!

! goof

Hannah. Our best time driving has been 21 hours door to door from 'Sauga to Spring Hill (about a half hour north of Tampa) We usually leave around 2-3 am. That gets us through the mountains in daylight. Arrive at the folks around 10-midnight (depending on whether any speeding tickets have been obtained) We get a good sleep and are ready to go in the am.

Comment

! goof

Hannah. Our best time driving has been 21 hours door to door from 'Sauga to Spring Hill (about a half hour north of Tampa) We usually leave around 2-3 am. That gets us through the mountains in daylight. Arrive at the folks around 10-midnight (depending on whether any speeding tickets have been obtained) We get a good sleep and are ready to go in the am.
                      That's about what it takes us, we stop a few times to stretch and mommy makes a lunch so we don't stop till supper time, a long drive but I don't like to fly
                      Thomas4golf

Ferrules by Bbandfco

Pro V1x Left Dash
                      Leupold GX - 5C R.F.

Stewart X9

Comment

Originally posted by hannah View Post
                        That's about what it takes us, we stop a few times to stretch and kick the family out of my car so I can wash it. It's a ritual for me to stop and have my car detailed in each state, have to keep the virgin white nice and shiny!!!
                        Fixed....

Comment

We have also did both routes...and stopped exactpy where you mentioned.

Made the trek from Orlando to Fergus in one stretch before, 19.5hrs. Wouldnt want to do that again...mind you II drove all the way myself.
                          "The more I know about people, the more I like my dog." - Mark Twain

Comment

Whoops....made a mistake. When I drove down I-75 last year I stopped for the night just north of Chattanooga. Very nice Best Western with a Waffle House 100 yards away for breakfast in the morning. I got a late start from here and didn't get there until close to midnight, but it was worth the effort (I had made reservations before leaving here). I left the Waffle House around 7:30 and I got to my daughter's place in south Tampa by 5pm. All very easy driving with no rushing.
                            U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

I did the Toronto to Florida (Naples) drive this past Spring. I went with a couple who make the drive twice a year.

We went through Buffalo-i90-Erie-i79-19-i77-i95. Took us two days and about 22 hours in the car.
                              Last edited by Bellyhungry; Nov 1, 2012, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X