The "OFFICIAL" 2014 Ryder Cup thread

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The "OFFICIAL" 2014 Ryder Cup thread

Originally posted by mpare View Post
    Get with the times. It's a skort, and for your team, it should be blue and white.
    I stand corrected
    ----
    Long Live the Patriarchy

Comment

On the OG website there was a poll about the TGN/OG Ryder cup to measure the level of competitiveness the team members wished for the event. The choices were as follows:

Strictly Competitive
      More Competitive than Fun
      More Fun than Competitive
      Strictly Fun

Of the 9 members who responded to the poll 8 chose "More Fun than Competitive" and 1 chose "Strictly Fun". Although not everyone who is plaything or may play for Ottawa this year responded, I think this poll is very telling to why we seem to be at an impasse on subjects such as handicaps. It would appear in my opinion that there are 3 different groups of participants who attend this event.

Group A just wants to get away for the weekend play a little match play golf regardless of outcome, drink, smoke, order up a festive special etc and hope not to sleep in their own puke.

Group B wants to play Competitive Matches, enjoy time at or around the course, have a team type dinner and drinks and hopefully make some points.

Group C is there to golf competitively as a primary initiative and is motivated to win matches and ultimately the Ryder cup. In bed early and in the range with little to no extra curricular activities.

Regardless whether it is Ottawa or Toronto if the teams have to many competitors falling into opposite groups there will be problems that are potentially unresolvable. When it comes to the "Golf" portion of this weekend I believe we are at, or close to being at that point with this existing group of players.

I don't see the RCGA handicap requirement as anything more than a cosmetic issue. At the end of the day I think if the teams took the golf more seriously then the handicaps would sort themselves out as in my experience more serious players likely have registered caps with a long history of entered scores and are less likely to be cheating themselves or their competition. Forcing someone to pay for Golf Canada Membership and then have them plug in whatever scores they so choose won't eliminate sand bagging. My recommendation which I shared a couple of years ago is low man go to 0 and high man gets 80% of the difference. As we know in match play a lot of holes are conceded, putts are given that would never likely be made etc. Its easy to be better than your cap when you don't have to finish holes and it's at your best discretion to score what you think you would realistically scored on the hole should it have proceeded to conclusion including equitable stroke control. So giving 80% of the difference will stabilize things and little.

Sorry for the long post but we are 2 months away and tensions are high. I think we need to make some changes or look at scrapping it all together as it is an expensive weekend away that people plan for months in advance and everyone should have equal opportunity to know what they are signing up for!

Comment

Originally posted by corchard View Post
        I see grass! Finally I see grass on my lawn. Its still frozen, brown, and flattened but winter may finally be winding down.

I really want a piece of Wilster again. That bugger has had my number a few too many times. Any suggestions? Getting him drunk doesn't work. He's Scottish.

I also want to wipe the smug look off Bouches face when he chipped in for the second time.
        dude, he's from Northern Ireland! Getting him drunk will still have no effect though.
        MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

In the interest of full disclosure, I have just posted the following on OG...

Guys, I've been wading my way through the quagmire of recent posts, and I have to say that this whole situation is in a word, retarded.

Regardless of how someone chooses to track their handicap, is there the opportunity for a player to be "less than honest" about their handicap factor? Yes.

However, does having a valid RCGA handicap factor offer the greatest access and transparency for review of scores by ones golfing peers? Absolutely.

I'm not speaking for anyone else here, but personally after being in and around the game for 40 years, I cannot separate the playing of the game from having an official handicap. Again, I speak only for myself. That being said, while this event of ours is a great social outing, it is also an event where we compete and keep score. Regardless of whether we are playing for a golden trophy, or in our case bragging rights, we still account for points earned and lost. The two can and do exist together quite well.

This is the last word I'll say on the subject of handicaps. If you wish to compete with an official RCGA/USGA/R&A handicap, no problem. If you wish to compete with a handicap obtained by some other means, no problem either, but you will play at "scratch", i.e. your handicap factor will be listed as 0.0.
          When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Comment

Thanks for sharing Rich. Fingers crossed you don't have a major fall out.

Comment

Originally posted by golower View Post
              Thanks for sharing Rich. Fingers crossed you don't have a major fall out.
              +1, what do your #s look like?
              Epic 10.5 - Elements
              Epic 3 wood - Elements
              Mizuno JPX900 -22* Veylix Rome 988X
              King MB - Recoil Prototype
              Fourteen - 52/56/60PM -Recoil Prototype
              Lamb Allendale
              https://www.instagram.com/makerofputts/

Comment

Some of us on the OG team felt that the Ryder Cup event was an equal mix of fun and competition. Unfortunately, the poll didn't capture that perspective. For me, i want to have a few laughs as I thrash my opponent. Conversely, if I get creamed, then having a few laughs along the way makes the ignominy a little more tolerable.
                This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Boys as Rich has posted the handicap issue is hopefully been put to bed.

Warning, if any of our guys wish to continue to stir the pot you will not be playing this year, we really need to move forward and hope the bad blood out there lightens up as we get closer to the event.

Let's get our thoughts back to GoGo's and Little Texas
                  BIG MOY GOLF...POWERED BY SNICKERS
                  Member Century Club...Osprey Valley May 20, 2010...108 holes
                  There is no next year...signed Leaf fan

Comment

Originally posted by golfingoalie View Post

Let's get our thoughts back to GoGo's
                    what is this place you speak of????
                    Epic 10.5 - Elements
                    Epic 3 wood - Elements
                    Mizuno JPX900 -22* Veylix Rome 988X
                    King MB - Recoil Prototype
                    Fourteen - 52/56/60PM -Recoil Prototype
                    Lamb Allendale
                    https://www.instagram.com/makerofputts/

Comment

Boys following up that I sent all an email, hotels are booking up fast, get on it or you will not be staying in Belleville.

Comment

Hey TGN, just wanted to give you a heads up. Team OG is down to 15 players. I've told my guys that if we have anymore cancellations that I'm seriously considering pulling the plug. Just keeping you in the loop.
                        When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Comment

I certainly hope that the event is not cancelled. However, with all of the players from both teams already committed to play that weekend, and rooms booked, my hope would be that many of us would still attend. I can see an another "competition" being set up on site. There is no way that I am not playing that weekend short of a personal crisis.
                          This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Boys the weekend is already booked so we will be playing. If Ottawa can't field 16 we will work something out. They have at least 10-12 guys who are "regulars" and look forward to the weekend as much as we do.

One way or another we will be playing for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by golfingoalie View Post
                              Boys the weekend is already booked so we will be playing. If Ottawa can't field 16 we will work something out. They have at least 10-12 guys who are "regulars" and look forward to the weekend as much as we do.

One way or another we will be playing for sure.
                              We'll get it worked out, one way or the other.

Comment

There is 11 of us on waiting list. Ottawa side will be filled in by someone or adjust number of matches.
                                Member of 2012, 2013, 2015 TGN Ryder Cup Team
                                Member of 2014 OG Ryder Cup Team

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X