Collapse

Golf Etiquette has changed

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Golf Etiquette has changed

I don't think one can really compare smoking to music on the golf course...

My friends and I were at a range, and after 3 mins my friends come back from the chipping area. Reason? Some guy decides to smoke while he is chipping with many other people around, including kids. That is mind boggling to me how someone can do that.

Comment

Originally posted by gcee View Post
      I don't think one can really compare smoking to music on the golf course...

My friends and I were at a range, and after 3 mins my friends come back from the chipping area. Reason? Some guy decides to smoke while he is chipping with many other people around, including kids. That is mind boggling to me how someone can do that.
      So why aren't courses banning it? It's private property, they can ban whatever they want. Smoking, seeds, music, all could be a no go if enough people complained.

Comment

Originally posted by hackpro View Post

Sorry, but smokers have zero rights, period... but if you are a smoker, then I don't expect much from you, you've already made some poor choices to this point...
        Zero rights in terms of what? Smoking wherever they like? Yes, they don't have that right. Other than that they have exactly the same rights as anyone else. You've made some poor choices yourself, like posting this nonsense for one.
        We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
        Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
        Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
        Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
        Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
        Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
        Srixon Star XV
        Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Originally posted by Left behind View Post
          So why aren't courses banning it? It's private property, they can ban whatever they want. Smoking, seeds, music, all could be a no go if enough people complained.
          They should bring back prohibition, eliminate dance music and dancing, all are life threatening. Bring back Adolf, he was good at enforcing what he believed in. Wait.....were in canada, that won't work. People are so concerned about others and what could happen....**** them.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarman View Post
            Would you have felt different if the playlist was Katey Perry and Brittney Spears?
            No, then I would have said something. They did offer to turn it off. It also wasn't very loud.

Comment

But what if every group on the course had this going? To me its one of those things that needs to be squished before it catches on. I blame all this on not enforcing people to tuck in their shirts, and look at where we are today
              Yes, that could become a problem for sure. Just relating that I've encountered it once and it didn't bother me at the time even though I would never have considered doing it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by dmcdam View Post
                Zero rights in terms of what? Smoking wherever they like? Yes, they don't have that right. Other than that they have exactly the same rights as anyone else. You've made some poor choices yourself, like posting this nonsense for one.
                How is voicing my opinion a poor choice? If anything, not voicing it is a poor choice... The only reason smokers have 'rights' is people don't have the balls to really stand up and say 'get this chit out of my face'. Because I have the balls to actually say something, regardless of if you think it is purely because I'm behind a keyboard (tho EVERYONE will tell you I'm the same way in person, straightforward and no BS politics), I don't flop on my opinions. We've become too much of a PC society where you can't hurt the feelings of anyone. Heaven forbid someone actually look at someone without it becoming confrontational, let alone speak out...

Originally posted by Gennaro View Post
                They should bring back prohibition, eliminate dance music and dancing, all are life threatening. Bring back Adolf, he was good at enforcing what he believed in. Wait.....were in canada, that won't work. People are so concerned about others and what could happen....**** them.
                People are concerned about others because what those others are doing is affecting far more than just themselves, period...

If 1 person on the course enjoys his music, but he bothers 4-5 groups throughout his round, does it make it ok still? We all have certain expectations after we foot the green fee bill, those include a sounds of the outdoors and golfers cursing, hopefully a well manicured course that is free of butts and seed shells all over the place. These aren't abnormal requests, its normal, the rest is just ignorance towards others because no one else enjoys what you are doing.
                Last edited by hackpro; Jun 24, 2014, 05:26 PM.

Comment

How is voicing my opinion a poor choice? If anything, not voicing it is a poor choice... The only reason smokers have 'rights' is people don't have the balls to really stand up and say 'get this chit out of my face'. Because I have the balls to actually say something, regardless of if you think it is purely because I'm behind a keyboard (tho EVERYONE will tell you I'm the same way in person, straightforward and no BS politics), I don't flop on my opinions. We've become too much of a PC society where you can't hurt the feelings of anyone. Heaven forbid someone actually look at someone without it becoming confrontational, let alone speak out...

People are concerned about others because what those others are doing is affecting far more than just themselves, period...

If 1 person on the course enjoys his music, but he bothers 4-5 groups throughout his round, does it make it ok still? We all have certain expectations after we foot the green fee bill, those include a sounds of the outdoors and golfers cursing, hopefully a well manicured course that is free of butts and seed shells all over the place. These aren't abnormal requests, its normal, the rest is just ignorance towards others because no one else enjoys what you are doing.
                  I smoke on the course. I don't leave butts on the ground. I don't blow it people's faces. I don't care what you think my rights are or what harm you believe I'm doing. There is zero evidence that smoking outdoors harms anyone other than the smoker so your argument, as usual, holds no water.

Comment

Originally posted by stuckintheoffice View Post
                    I smoke on the course. I don't leave butts on the ground. I don't blow it people's faces. I don't care what you think my rights are or what harm you believe I'm doing. There is zero evidence that smoking outdoors harms anyone other than the smoker so your argument, as usual, holds no water.
                    Another opinion I guess... Maybe if your 100's of yds away sure, but can you guarentee 100% that I won't inhale anything from you? But I guess that whole second hand smoke thing is just bunk as well

You make a choice that affects me gives me every right to have my opinion. And because your choice affects me, it has more merit than your choice to smoke. If you want to kill yourself, by all means giddy up, but don't get your panties in a twist when someone speak out about your poor choices. The second any smoke goes in my face, I should be able to punch you in the face, its just as ignorant.

Comment

As long as the smoker isn't in my space or a cart if I have one. Even then I don't say much. Due to asthma I may cough and sputter a bit but as long as they don't mind a little second hand snot I'll put up with the second hand smoke.

Comment

Back to the original topic of the post

Last year we played Century Pines and some clown decided to randomly dropped marshmallows all over the course!

For a second there I thought I drove my ball 320 yards plus! But I was sadly brought back to reality to find a dam marshmallow in the center of the fairway

But I agree with the smoking - keep it out of my face and off the greens - we don't need any nasty cigarette butts on the greens or fairways....

Comment

Originally posted by dmcdam View Post
                          Very well said.
                          Too many people are getting carried away.

Comment

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post
                            Very well said.
                            Too many people are getting carried away.
                            Not really, its a pretty polarizing topic.

Comment

I don't smoke. I golf with guys who smoke cigarettes and cigars often enough. Invariably the smoke blows my way more often than you might think. I really don't care for it but I tolerate it if they are otherwise friends.

Smoking is a vice like many other habits but it is one that can have direct effect on people around you. That is undeniable.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
                                ^^^^This.

I do NOT want to hear ANYONE's effing music when I'm trying to enjoy myself on the course.

I don't care if someone's playlist is similar to mine or not.

I don't want to have to ask someone to turn it down. I shouldn't have to.

I don't understand why people think it's a good idea. I want to immerse myself in the experience of golf. Sight, smell, touch, taste (taste?) AND hearing. Be in the moment.

There are innumerable other opportunities to listen to your music. Do it then!
                                Exactly. And I find it amazing that some think it's on you to ask them to turn it down, and not on them to use a little common sense.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X