Collapse

How many penalty strokes

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many penalty strokes

Was playing with Shadow today and he putted twice like in the photo and the question came up as to how many penalty strokes he gets. Let's see how many non Rulies can figure it out first.

Re: How many penalty strokes

Sorry the photo ended up rotated and don't know how to fix it as when I did a preview it was fine.

Comment

Gerry, if the putt is made off the putting green, then there is no penalty. The prohibition with respect to straddling the line only applies to putting on the green.
      This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

The photo alone does not indicate any rules violations.

It does not show conclusively that he is anchoring the club (Rule 14-1b). Bernhard Langer would be proud.

His stance is astride an extension of the line of putt, but he is NOT on the putting green, so no violation there (Rule 16-1e).

Mind you, there are many possible violations that a still photo just won't show. For example, his equipment could be non-conforming, he may be asking for advice from a fellow competitor, he may push or spoon the ball, or he may be playing the wrong ball. In situations like these, a still photo is just not able or sufficient to prove the violation.

Comment

I know photos aren't always the best and I do have a short video but don't know how to post it. ChasingPar, all the things you mentioned were fine, no wrong ball, putter is conforming, didn't ask me for advice and he put a good stroke on it and just about drained it.

Comment

I dont know if it is a rules violation but he appears to be giving you the finger.

Comment

Can't tell if he is anchoring so the answer is none unless he is anchoring when the penalty is two strokes (LOH) each time.
              Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
              - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Originally posted by gbower View Post
                Was playing with Shadow today and he putted twice like in the photo and the question came up as to how many penalty strokes he gets. Let's see how many non Rulies can figure it out first.
                Most players will automatically say Penalty, penalty, penalty etc. However, Rule 16-1(e) is clear that the player incurs a penalty ONLY when making a stroke astride or on the line of putt (ie a stroke made from the putting green).
                There are two exceptions....google the rule and read the exceptions.
                This player has a "line of play" not a line of putt.
                It looks like he is not anchoring the club.....if he is, we have another kettle of fish.

Comment

No anchoring with his stroke, only when he did a practice stroke, and no penalty as he was just off the putting green.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                  X