Retrieve Ball After Chip In?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Retrieve Ball After Chip In?

Originally posted by aaagc View Post
    'On the fly' will be with the flagstick in.
    But do the maths.

It is noticeable that the RBs do not have a decision for such a situation. Probably because they have determined it will never happen.
    I have had a ball hit the flag and drop in. I can also hit a flop that is close(enough) to vertical when it lands. Add wind and it could be coming back at me. Do the math.

Comment

Originally posted by Bern View Post
      I have had a ball hit the flag and drop in. I can also hit a flop that is close(enough) to vertical when it lands. Add wind and it could be coming back at me. Do the math.
      As a one in a million chipper who might bounce out of a flagged hole with a vertical flop shot that misses the flag, you are one that should just ask the previous chipper to remove the chipped-in ball. Don't be surprised if your partners chuckle about your ego when you do ask.

Comment

Originally posted by aaagc View Post
        'On the fly' will be with the flagstick in.
        But do the maths.

It is noticeable that the RBs do not have a decision for such a situation. Probably because they have determined it will never happen.
        I have seen people chip from off the green after the flagstick was removed. Any of these shots could have gone into the hole 'on the fly'.

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post
          I have seen people chip from off the green after the flagstick was removed. Any of these shots could have gone into the hole 'on the fly'.
          But most of the energy would have been absorbed by the ball hitting the side wall. To hit the ball full on with sufficiently high energy to bounce out would have involved an abnormally high trajectory.

However, balls chipped from off the green may simply hit the side or far edge of the hole and bounce away.
          Last edited by aaagc; Oct 19, 2016, 02:14 AM.
          Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
          - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Originally posted by Leafygreen View Post
            So I was playing a round today with 3 other people (dad, friend, and stranger) and happened to chip a ball into the cup from just outside the green. After sinking the chip i proceeded to retrieve said ball so that the hole would be empty. During my retrieval the stranger decided to begin his chipping routine and I was alerted after getting my ball by both my friend and father that I screwed up his shot and shouldn't have taken my ball out...

I guess I was under the impression that removal of a chip in takes precedence over other shots? My father was pretty disappointed in me but I feel like the stranger should have waited? Who is at fault here haha?
            I would have given you the thumbs up - nice job.
            People really are strange

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
            X