No announcement yet.
Collapse

Rory - Not His Job to Grow the Game...

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rory - Not His Job to Grow the Game...

When the Olympics were created how many professional athletes were there?

Comment

Rorys job is to play golf. Playing good golf brings more exposure to the game, so he's already 'helped grow the game' in some way. He's also the new face of the TV EA sports franchise.

I think very little of Chamblee and hearing Leggett on the radio on my way home for the course I continue my same thought of him. Rory has done and will continue to more than both of them combined already and both just need to stfu and stop trying to draw attention to themselves to fill their lonely little lives.

Comment

The governing bodies of golf sincerely believe that golf in the Olympics would expose the game to a much larger mass of spectators and in turn would result in more people wanting to try to play. The Pros are definitely entitled to their own beliefs but if more people pick up the game as a result of watching them perform in the Olympics,wouldn't the game and ultimately their own pocket book be improved. The Zika problem is certainly of concern but Rory should not have dismissed the opportunity to play as a non issue. At the rate of golf in decline, I'm sure future endorsements will not be as lucrative as it is now. I for one would love to see the Pros put up or shut up.JMO

Comment

I think the comments from Rory are unfortunate and shortsighted. He, being one of golf's foremost competitors, does have an obligation in some way to contribute to the game's well being. Is he obligated to go to the Olympics all things considered? No, but the comments came off as being dismissive to golf, the Olympics and his current playing competitors who will be attending. I think he will regret saying them one day when he looks back over his career. I admire his candour and his confidence, but this was a misstep.

Comment

Originally posted by ginrin View Post
            The governing bodies of golf sincerely believe that golf in the Olympics would expose the game to a much larger mass of spectators and in turn would result in more people wanting to try to play. The Pros are definitely entitled to their own beliefs but if more people pick up the game as a result of watching them perform in the Olympics,wouldn't the game and ultimately their own pocket book be improved. The Zika problem is certainly of concern but Rory should not have dismissed the opportunity to play as a non issue. At the rate of golf in decline, I'm sure future endorsements will not be as lucrative as it is now. I for one would love to see the Pros put up or shut up.JMO
            It's not just the Zika virus. There's so many more things to be concerned about. No police, no firefighters, no hospitals, body parts washing up on beaches.

I don't blame Rory or anyone else for not goin..

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
            TM SLDR 10.5*
            TM SLDR 3W & TM V-Steel 5W
            TM Rescue 22*
            4-PW Mix of Mizuno MX-25's and TM RBZ's
            Wedges: Titleist SM 53* & 56*
            Ping Ketch
            Ball: What's on sale?

Comment

Originally posted by Leftygolfer30 View Post
              It's not just the Zika virus. There's so many more things to be concerned about. No police, no firefighters, no hospitals, body parts washing up on beaches.

I don't blame Rory or anyone else for not goin..
              Yup, I know I'd think twice about going, esp if you're greeted at the airport like this... not very comforting.

Comment

Originally posted by hoganapexplus View Post
                He should have just left it at, "I don't feel it is best for me right now" Inside voice indeed.
                Stars give vague pre formulated generic written by their agents answers... We get on their arse about not giving real answers.

They give real answers we crucify them.

Can't have it both ways.

I don't see where just because your successful it's your "job" to do anything. Regarding golf in the Olympics. It's already a world sport with majors that draw every country unlike other sports in countries who only play in Olympics.
                I never thought the addition back into Olympics was a good thing and that it would be watered down which is coming to fruition.
                PING CAMO BAG...
                WEAPONS...
                SRIXON ZX5 10.5
                3W TM M2
                HYB 19 deg Callaway Epic
                5-aw Callaway Epic Forged

SW TM Milled Grind 56
                LW TM MILLED GRIND 60

PUTTER Rotation TM Spider Tour, Scotty np2 ,
                3 ball Fang, RIFE TOUR

Comment

A few comments:

First, I can't recall professional athletes in other sports (hockey, baseball, football) who comment that it is there purpose in life to grow their respective games.

Second, what many may have forgotten is that golf was added back to the Olympics in 2009, which was still in the middle of the Tiger Era. I'll bet if you took a poll back then as to the odds of Tiger playing in Rio it would have been unanimous. That is one of the problems with the Olympics, decisions are made many years before they take effect.

Third, the problem with Men's golf and the Olympics is the scheduling. Each time we have the NHL players in the Winter Olympics, the league has to shut down for two weeks. The fact that it shuts down during the season is hard enough. Imagine how much support there would be if a country decided to host their Winter Olympics during May or June (Southern Hemisphere country). No way would the league support it. But what you're asking the Men's golfers to do is basically the same, take a week off during their busiest time of the schedule to play in another tournament.

Fourth, and it has been hinted at. Drug testing on the PGA Tour is not at the same level as it is for the Olympics. Not saying that there are outright cheaters on the PGA Tour, but there are plenty of supplements that many are taking that probably would not pass an IOC drug test. The medical issues, security, etc. have made it easy for players to skip Rio with proper excuses. Would have been very interesting if this the Atlanta Games and golf was being played at Augusta.

Comment

Brandel can now name both people that took up the game because he played or is a commentator and we can move on.
                    Still getting the hang of this game!

In the Ogio Atlas for riding or Ogio Vaporlite for carrying:

Ping G2 with HOT PINK Grafalloy Bimatrix
                    Srixon W-403 AD 5 wood
                    Nike 23 degree hybrid
                    Ping eye2+ irons 5-PW
                    Cleveland CG14 Gunmetal 52, 56
                    Bronze Ping Anser 3 with Tigershark grip

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhark View Post
                      Stars give vague pre formulated generic written by their agents answers... We get on their arse about not giving real answers.

They give real answers we crucify them.

Can't have it both ways.
                      I've often wondered how asking the same stupid canned questions over and over is supposed to lead to anything but the same old canned answers.
                      We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
                      Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
                      Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
                      Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
                      Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
                      Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
                      Srixon Star XV
                      Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Originally posted by bogey5 View Post
                        Here's what he said last year. So it seems that Olympic golf became irrelevant to him only when he decided not to play.

Afterward, he maintained that the third option -- skipping the Olympics -- was never really an option at all.

"It would have been a very selfish decision," he explained. "It wouldn't have been good for the game of golf at all. If we as a golf community want golf to succeed in the Olympics, you need to have your best players playing. I realized that pretty quickly. Obviously, it was an option, but was it ever going to be an option that I would decide to choose, no.

"Because ultimately, what we want is to grow the game and make the game better and expose the game more to more people around the world. Not having your best players play at the Olympic Games in its first year back in over 100 years isn't something that is good for golf. So it was an option, but it was never an option that I would have taken."
                        So in other words the new "honest" Rory we all suddenly admire now was just piling on the BS back then?
                        Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Comment

When will Rory make up his mind: http://www.golfchannel.com/media/feh...her-olympians/
                          Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Originally posted by dmcdam View Post
                            I've often wondered how asking the same stupid canned questions over and over is supposed to lead to anything but the same old canned answers.
                            Crash Davis: You're gonna have to learn your clichés. You're gonna have to study them, you're gonna have to know them. They're your friends. Write this down: "We gotta play it one day at a time."
                            Ebby Calvin LaLoosh: Got to play... it's pretty boring.
                            Crash Davis: 'Course it's boring, that's the point. Write it down.

Comment

Originally posted by xrox View Post
                              So in other words the new "honest" Rory we all suddenly admire now was just piling on the BS back then?
                              Is that possible???

Comment

Originally posted by Oakbridge View Post
                                Crash Davis: You're gonna have to learn your clichés. You're gonna have to study them, you're gonna have to know them. They're your friends. Write this down: "We gotta play it one day at a time."
                                Ebby Calvin LaLoosh: Got to play... it's pretty boring.
                                Crash Davis: 'Course it's boring, that's the point. Write it down.
                                One of the great sports movies.
                                We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
                                Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
                                Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
                                Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
                                Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
                                Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
                                Srixon Star XV
                                Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X