Collapse

My Drivers Testing Results

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Drivers Testing Results

Next time I am at the driving range I will adjust the loft of my driver to see if I can get more distance. It is currently set to 10.5°D for draw. When I hit it pure it can go far but the ball flight is low sometimes.

I'll report back when I can.
    WITB - Shredder stand bag in "Buzz Saw Red"

Driver: Fly-Z set to 10.5°
    Fairway Wood: Fly-Z set to 14.5°
    Hybrids: Fly-Z 2-3H set to 17.5° and 3-4H set to 20.5°
    Irons: Fly-Z 5i-PW
    Wedges: tour trusty 52°/8° 56°/12° 60°/10°
    Putter: Method Core 3i

Comment

Originally posted by Cabralicus View Post
      Next time I am at the driving range I will adjust the loft of my driver to see if I can get more distance. It is currently set to 10.5°D for draw. When I hit it pure it can go far but the ball flight is low sometimes.
      Looking forward to the findings, thanks ! What driver you're using ?

Comment

It's in my signature.

Comment

Originally posted by veryold1 View Post
          4. Shafts have minimum to no effect in my testing, both the distance and trajectory.
          7. I firmly believe the head is more important than the shaft.
          Get the head 1st, then the shaft 2nd.

8. The driver is the hardest club in the bag to fit, the other 13 clubs are easy in comparison.
          So much so, the demo you get fitted for may not replicate the new one.

Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
          Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
          Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Digging the sig! Team Cobra!
            Cobra King F7
            Cobra Bio Cell+ 12.5
            Cobra Bio Cell+ 16*
            Cobra Amp Pro 6-AW + KBS C-Tapers S
            Cobra Tour Trusty Dual (56/60)
            Bettinardi Studio 6

Comment

Thank you ALL for the constructive, wonderful and kind replies

It's in my signature.
              Duh , thanks.

Originally posted by TourIQ View Post
              7. I firmly believe the head is more important than the shaft.
              Get the head 1st, then the shaft 2nd.

8. The driver is the hardest club in the bag to fit, the other 13 clubs are easy in comparison.
              So much so, the demo you get fitted for may not replicate the new one.
              Both are great points. And indeed, i'm seeing reports that while in the simulator testing several of the identical models, people report different results between them. Wonder which aspect of the club is so hard to make identical, club to club, or is it just poor manufacturing/quality control process

Originally posted by imAnewbie View Post
              Yes, Cobra seems to be getting some really nice reviews.
              I see you have a different model, but these two are highly reviewed: Cobra F6 and Fly Z. Any opinions on these two from TGNers ?
              Last edited by veryold1; Sep 14, 2016, 07:13 AM.

Comment

I had a cobra fly Z loved it. Super forgiving. Excellent driver specially for a lower SS player.

As I got better it started to spin too much. I tried the FlyZ+ and it's great. But didn't pull trigger because they were releasing the F6 line soon.

The regular F6 is the forgiveness of the FlyZ with the adjustability for the FlyZ+ excellent driver.

I opted for the F6+ for added adjustability.

And I 100% disagree. Shaft is more important then head.

The F6+ head was unplayable with the stock black tie shaft for me. With a proper fitting shaft it's a bomber

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
                  And I 100% disagree. Shaft is more important then head. With a proper fitting shaft it's a bomber
                  This is so interesting and informative.
                  Any idea how the shaft can have such a significant influence on a golf club ?
                  Many thanks and cheers

Comment

I had a cobra fly Z loved it. Super forgiving. Excellent driver specially for a lower SS player.

As I got better it started to spin too much. I tried the FlyZ+ and it's great. But didn't pull trigger because they were releasing the F6 line soon.

The regular F6 is the forgiveness of the FlyZ with the adjustability for the FlyZ+ excellent driver.

I opted for the F6+ for added adjustability.

And I 100% disagree. Shaft is more important then head.

The F6+ head was unplayable with the stock black tie shaft for me. With a proper fitting shaft it's a bomber
                    Sorry, but the driver head will absolutely dictate what type of shaft should go into it--so it should read that BOTH are equally important during the fitting process. If all you are focusing on is the shaft, then you are not giving the person you are fitting proper service by looking at both.

Comment

I'll share my little knowledge most is frompersonal experience and reading on WRX.

***EDIT FOR RACMBS***
                      Yes both shaft and head are important. By no means am I an expert nor a fitter. I agree both are important. However read below and I'll clarify. Shaft has a much bigger influence on overall feel then the head. The head is good for optimizing what the player needs)

Shaft weight is the most important factor. It influences how we swing the club. Too light and we can't be consistant from swing to swing. To heavy and we fatigue easily lose distance etc. Finding the right weight in a shaft will help you put up a consistant swing.

Total weight is effected by head and shaft. Now most drivers nowadays weight right around the 200gram mark for some reason so this isn't as big a factor unless we talking irons or woods etc.

Swingweight goes towards overall feeling.

The effect total weight (shaft head and SW) have is profound. They can influence plane, release, tempo, timing.

Flex is supposedly least important. I'd agree. I'd say bend profile is more important. For me I need to feel my driver kick/load, if I don't I end up over swinging and losing tempo and timing. This is why the black tie doesn't work for me as it's very stout. Makes me swing like I'm holding a bat.

The tour blue has a smooth profile for me with just enough kick.

Flex is important for dispersion and distance and ball flight. Realistically I feel a regular stiff and X stuff flex almost the same amount in a swing with same shaft. Now my driver SS is 100-105 so I am on the cusp.

The Reg flex adds distance and spin a touch but my dispersion suffers huge. X stiff for me lowered launch and spin too much so I lost distance. Stiff was the perfect balance for me.

As I have a mid release a shaft that's tip stiff I can't feel. Some people like that. For me it doesn't work so I try to rip it get too aggressive in my DS (which is ok if that's natural) but when I get aggressive I lose sequencing and timing which causes major swing flaws.

I can take my tour blue and stick it in most driver heads and they will feel/perform very similar. The head is more about optimization for spin and launch but will have little effect on your swing as it's easy to alter SW.

The only time the head matters if you are not confidant looking down at it. Or it's profile doesn't suit you (shape/size) some drivers like being hit lower on face others higher. Some more toe side some more heel side. (But again were talking less then 2mm in any direction) so your avg Joe ain't gonna notice the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by veryold1 View Post
                        Duh , thanks.

Yes, Cobra seems to be getting some really nice reviews.
                        I see you have a different model, but these two are highly reviewed: Cobra F6 and Fly Z. Any opinions on these two from TGNers ?
                        No problem, veryold1!

I really like my Fly-Z clubs. They are my first "real" set of clubs. I owned a full boxset of PowerBilt TPS Triad II as my first set for 2.5 seasons (My Cobras for the rest of this season.) With some Adams Tom Watson RC14 wedges.

The Fly-Z driver is very forgiving and performed better for me than the AeroBurner and Adams Blue. The weight that sits on the bottom and towards the rear of the club head allows the hitter to gain height with the ball and all my hybrids and woods have adjustable lofts. I have the stock Regular flex shaft as my swing speed isn't quite up there yet without slicing, duffing or hooking the shot.

The F6+ was out of my price range at the time but that will be my potential upgrade. I could shift the weight forward for more penetrating drives or to the back for higher ball flight which is useful for uphill, wet or forced carry fairways.

The irons are cavity backs with a resonator doohickey insert that changes the acoustic properties so the irons don't sound clicky. They certainly sound better than my old PowerBilt CB game improvement irons. When you crank a pure shot they sound pretty awesome. I can hit my 5i and 6i consistently now and can even shape some shots with them, the distances are pretty dialed in and I can hit greens and layup shots more consistently. They don't give you the same feedback as blades of course but I do feel when I hit it on the toe or heel without the jarring shock up my arms.

I am a high handicapper that has improved from 30+ to about 24. I can now confidently stride up to the tee and hit my 3W or Driver and know that I can at least salvage some of my bad shots.

I can't wait to try out my new tour trusty wedges I bought at the King St. GT at 40% off before it closed. So those will need a few rounds before I can report on them. In hindsight I should have brought my clubs with me on my recent trip to PEI.

Originally posted by imAnewbie View Post
                        Ahhhh yeah!

Team Cobra LA LA LA LA!

Comment

I'll share my little knowledge most is frompersonal experience and reading on WRX.

***EDIT FOR RACMBS***
                          Yes both shaft and head are important. By no means am I an expert nor a fitter. I agree both are important. However read below and I'll clarify. Shaft has a much bigger influence on overall feel then the head. The head is good for optimizing what the player needs)

The only time the head matters if you are not confidant looking down at it. Or it's profile doesn't suit you (shape/size) some drivers like being hit lower on face others higher. Some more toe side some more heel side. (But again were talking less then 2mm in any direction) so your avg Joe ain't gonna notice the difference.
                          I am not a pro or custom fitter but not sure I agree 100% with ^^^^. If that were the case companies would not make different model heads i.e low spin, high spin, small cc high cc. As an example the XR series drivers from Callaway are aimed at exactly that especially that new XR sub zero version they came out with. Same with the Cobra F6 models. Yet with each you can opt for the same shaft throughout the series......

From my fitting at MG as I was only looking at shafts to max my current BB aplha model they narrowed down the shaft selection based on the driver head, smaller head and lower spinning. I asked what if I went with the XR or XR Pro Head and they said totally different shaft recommendations
                          In the Bag

Driver: Epic Flash Sub Zero - Accra FX-260
                          Fairway Wood: Cobra F8 - Tensei CK Orange
                          Hybrid:Mizuno JPX 900 - Accra FX-200H
                          Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Tours - KBS C-Taper
                          Wedges: Mizuno S7 Blu-ion - 49*, 53.5*, 59* - DG Spinner
                          Putter:Bobby Grace Smart Fit F18
                          Ball: Bx or Z-Star XV
                          --------
                          Home Course - Clublink

Comment

Originally posted by chrish8 View Post
                            I am not a pro or custom fitter but not sure I agree 100% with ^^^^. If that were the case companies would not make different model heads i.e low spin, high spin, small cc high cc. As an example the XR series drivers from Callaway are aimed at exactly that especially that new XR sub zero version they came out with. Same with the Cobra F6 models. Yet with each you can opt for the same shaft throughout the series......

From my fitting at MG as I was only looking at shafts to max my current BB aplha model they narrowed down the shaft selection based on the driver head, smaller head and lower spinning. I asked what if I went with the XR or XR Pro Head and they said totally different shaft recommendations
                            Again I agree. But if you read carefully I said that's exactly what th head is for. Personal preference in relation to shape and size and for optimizing spin and launch.

So yes head matters 100% but I'd argue that having a good shaft fit is much more important.

The majority of feel comes from shaft weight and bend profile.

Comment

I would have to disagree. ...

I'd say that over the last ...many...years of constant tinkering, it is the head that has the GREATER effect on launch and spin. If you need to make and major changed to either launch or spin...you should always start with loft or head characteristics. Once you find a head that works you optimize with the shaft.
                              Titleist 915 D2
                              Titleist 915 F
                              Wishon 929 F
                              Wishon 775 Hybrid
                              PING i5 Irons
                              PING Tour S Rustique 52*
                              PING Anser 56*
                              PING Glide ES 60*
                              MannKrafted Rattler XL
                              MannKrafted Midwave
                              SGC 902 Custom

Comment

Jeez ppl can't read lol. That's what I said. Shaft is for overall feel which will impact how you deliver the clubhead. The clubhead will effect spin and launch characteristics much more then shaft however an ill fitting shaft will stop you from having a consistant swing

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X