Starting your downswing - Video!!!

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Starting your downswing - Video!!!

Originally posted by Element View Post
    Thanks Larry for your detailed response.

You must be more of a Raptors fan then... Haha.
    Watch any short stop in action. Double plays would never happen if they had to stop, turn towards the target, step forward and then throw. Just doesn't happen. Steeping forward is just not a requirement for throwing a ball.
    Sure you caught me, I should have been more specific. I wouldn't compare a double play throw to a golf swing. If I ask you to throw a ball from right field to home plate, would you take a step forward?

With all due respect, I find this hard to believe. Any 100+ golfer (average or slightly below average) isn't pin hunting, they just want to hit the ball and have it go in the air. Put that golfer on a wide open driving range without any targets and they'll still put a poor swing on it. Ibthink the issue is one of how a golf club differs from a bat/racket/ping pong paddle. People aren't being taught how to adjust accordingly.

Not a great apology, if a baseball batter hits a good ball and it's caught, it doesn't count as a hit. And it's a pitcher vs batter scenario.
    Tee ball with no opposing team to catch the ball would be a more just analogy. Guys would be averaging 1000.

That's the main point I'm trying to communicate, I feel that EVERYONE would lead with the lower body automatically if they were taught how to swing a club properly. Just like EVERYONE leads with their lower body in other bat/ball sports...

Don't get me started... Haha.
    We can agree to disagree, I really appreciate your points and debate, but I don't think we will persuade each other anytime soon =)
    Larrycheunggolf.com

Comment

I dont think any pitchers are throwing from a standstill
      WITB

910 d3 9.5* Kai'li X
      Titleist 906f2 15* UST Proforce v2 86X
      Adams Idea Pro 18* VS-Proto 80S
      Cobra S3 Pro 3-PW s300
      Nike SV Tour Black 52'
      Nike Victory Red Forged 56'
      Cleveland Classic #6 35"

Comment

What do you mean?

That's the main point I'm trying to communicate, I feel that EVERYONE would lead with the lower body automatically if they were taught how to swing a club properly. Just like EVERYONE leads with their lower body in other bat/ball sports...
        How would everyone start their lower body in the swing auotmatically if they don't move the lower body in the first place and you only teach them the upper body swing??
        Last edited by MrRyan1789; Dec 18, 2016, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryCheung View Post
          Sure you caught me, I should have been more specific. I wouldn't compare a double play throw to a golf swing. If I ask you to throw a ball from right field to home plate, would you take a step forward?

We can agree to disagree, I really appreciate your points and debate, but I don't think we will persuade each other anytime soon =)
          I appreciate talking shop with you as well. Keep up the good work on the website and videos!

Comment

Originally posted by MrRyan1789 View Post
            How would everyone start their lower body in the swing auotmatically if they don't move the lower body in the first place and you only teach them the upper body swing??
            Beginner, before, Real, Swing, Golf, Never Held a Golf Club, golf, swing, secret, tips, cut, strokes, full, video, lesson, instruction, learn, dramatic, improvement, fix, your, fundamentals, Help, slice, cure, lessons, staying, out, of, the, woods, revolutionary, method, instant, mechanics, Jack Nicklaus, Tiger Woods, Fred Couples, Rory McIlroy, swing tips

This guy clear doesn't move his hips until he contacts the ball..

Comment

Originally posted by yertu View Post
              I dont think any pitchers are throwing from a standstill
              I suppose.

I think the role of the trail hand is more like skipping a stone rather than pitching a baseball anyways. Ben Hogan wrote about this if I'm not mistaken. You don't really step forward typically when skipping a stone..

Comment

Im not sure if im understanding your points.
                Are you saying that teaching lower body movements are unnecessary because people will naturally use their lower body in the swing?
                WITB

910 d3 9.5* Kai'li X
                Cobra S3 Pro 3-PW s300
                Nike SV Tour Black 52'
                Cleveland Classic #6 35"

Comment

Originally posted by MrRyan1789 View Post
                  What do you mean?
                  Grab a small axe in your trail hand. Stand facing a tree. Hack at the base of the tree as hard as you can.

You lower body will (as Larry very correctly points out) push off the ground.

Fine. Everyone agrees so far I assume.

No logger ever thinks of pushing off the ground when doing this. No other sport is taught that way.

For golf to be taught this way is misguided in my opinion.
                  Last edited by Element; Dec 18, 2016, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Im not sure if im understanding your points.
                    Are you saying that teaching lower body movements are unnecessary because people will naturally use their lower body in the swing?
                    Yes. That's my point.

I'm saying that if the golf swing is taught correctly, that the lower body will move correctly automatically.

Comment

Yes. That's my point.

I'm saying that if the golf swing is taught correctly, that the lower body will move correctly automatically.
                      So what would create the feeling of pushing off the ground without explicitly teaching and talking about it?
                      WITB

910 d3 9.5* Kai'li X
                      Cobra S3 Pro 3-PW s300
                      Nike SV Tour Black 52'
                      Cleveland Classic #6 35"

Comment

Last edited by Element; Dec 18, 2016, 09:18 PM. Reason: Replying to a deleted post.

Comment

Grab a small axe in your trail hand. Stand facing a tree. Hack at the base of the tree as hard as you can.

You lower body will (as Larry very correctly points out) push off the ground.
                          I can chop the base of the tree as hard as I can without my lower body moving. Its like im swatting a fly.

Comment

So what would create the feeling of pushing off the ground without explicitly teaching and talking about it?
                            I'm not the golf instructor, but I have my thoughts.

In every other bat/ball sport, you can draw a line from the handle of the club along the shaft and it will intersect where the ball is meant to be hit. Baseball bat/baseball, tennis racket/tennis ball, ping pong paddle/ping pong.

There are no exceptions that I can think of except one.. Golf.

The golf ball is not meant to be hit in line with the shaft, that would result in a shank.

So the body had to adjust, by standing up, or casting the club or whatever.

Or instructors have to teach work arounds.

So, to answer your question, I think that when golfers aim for the centre of the ball they are actually aiming the shaft to the centre of the ball...or too far out.

Set up to a golf ball and instead of swinging at it, swing the SHAFT so that the club head misses the ball on the inside of the ball.

The hips will feel like they're pushing off the ground.
                            Last edited by Element; Dec 18, 2016, 09:41 PM.

Comment

There are no exceptions that I can think of except one.. Golf.

The golf ball is not meant to be hit in line with the shaft, that would result in a shank.

So the body had to adjust, by standing up, or casting the club or whatever.
                              Noone is trying to hit the ball with the shaft.

If you set the ball right infront of the shaft and swing you will hit the shaft no?

Comment

Ibthink the issue is one of how a golf club differs from a bat/racket/ping pong paddle. People aren't being taught how to adjust accordingly.

Hockey players are taught how to use their lower body more efficiently to hit slap shots harder. Not everyone knows how

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X