Collapse

Putter Fitting

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putter Fitting

Be honest with me, how many of you have had your putter fitted to you (length, lie and loft etc). If you havent why not? You can get a great deal on a brand name putter wouldnt it be wise to have custom fit?

Re: Putter Fitting

I've had it done. I feel much better over putts now. Granted, I've had my whole set fit.
    Everybody wants a slice of winner - dekker

Comment

I wanted to get fitted but I'm just being lazy.
      After trying a few lengths and dozen putting strokes, I kind of have an idea what fits and what doesn't.
      The clubmaker I took my putter to said it looks good.
      So I decided to work on my stroke a bit more.
      Wishon 919THI 10.5° <Adila NV65>
      Wishon 949MC 16.5° <Accra SC65>
      Wishon 775HS 21° <Wishon S2S Hybrid White>
      Wishon 555C 5-PW <DG High Launch>
      Scor 4161 51°, 56°<KBS Tour>
      Rife Barbados 33.5"

Comment

Originally posted by LowPost42
        I've had it done. I feel much better over putts now. Granted, I've had my whole set fit.
        Ben you had it done ... heck you did it yourself
        Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
        Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
        Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Makes a huge difference...

It's amazing the difference, lengthening, and shortening a putter does in relation to head weight alone.

Go get fitted!
          Ping G30/TFC
          X2Hot/Accra
          Speedline Classic 20*/V2
          G10/TFC
          CB2 6-GW/KBS
          Vokey SM4 54*, 58*/Spinners
          A011067

Comment

As I have said before the Putter is by far the most important club to have fit and unfortunately less that 2% of golfers ever get it fitted.

it is the club that is used most often by all golfers and as such should be the primary focus of fitting ( and practice for that matter)

There are many variations of putter fitting that you will find out there.....the best utilize a cmputrized putter fitting monitor system, much like a launch monitor that evaluates the angle of attack, swing path, spin etc........these are few and far between out there due to the extreme cost.....in fact I am not aware of any in Canada.......see t he Wishon video I posted a week ago for what I am talking of.

when getting fit for a putter get fit for

1. Length
            2. Loft ( here knowing your angle of attack is crucial and the ideal is a combination of loft and A of A that = 4* at contact has been shown to be ideal for the average player)
            3. lie
            4. swingweight

these are all primary fitting factors

putter head design is a secondary fitting parameter and here include heel or center shaft design

even without the computerized fitting system good fiitings can be done pretty easily for length, lie and swing weight...

loft is much harder to do in this fashion as it ios dependent on angle of attack so are much harder to asses.....but if somebody forward presses then they need much more loft, if they have the ball well forward and hit it on an upward a of a they need less loft etc

yes I have been fit for length, lie , sw and putter design....I did the loft myself based on my a of a
            "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by TourIQ
              Ben you had it done ... heck you did it yourself
              True, but I did it the ghetto way.

Originally posted by Weirfan
              the best utilize a cmputrized putter fitting monitor system, much like a launch monitor that evaluates the angle of attack, swing path, spin etc........these are few and far between out there due to the extreme cost.....in fact I am not aware of any in Canada.......see t he Wishon video I posted a week ago for what I am talking of.
              I've got an iClub unit - does that count? The TOMI looks sweet but far too expensive and I thought it added too much weight to the putter? Or is that the SAM Puttlab?
              Last edited by LowPost42; Dec 30, 2008, 01:24 PM. Reason: Automerged posts
              Everybody wants a slice of winner - dekker

Comment

In addition to the great info above, grip size and static weight are also important to look at as well. A larger diameter grip should keep your wrists from breaking and being too handsy. A heavier total weight should engage the larger muscles which you want to use in the putting stroke.

Some advice for those of you buying OEM from GT. After choosing a putter you like, see if the center of the sole is flush to the ground. If not get them to bend for you (should be no charge). If you can hear skidding across the putting green, you need the loft adjusted. Rule of thumb is 6* if you forward press, 4* if if your hands are in line with the ball and 2* if your hands are behind the ball at impact. This will get you close but using a computerized system will get you bang on.

Ben,

The ROI is not bad if you invest in a TOMI IMO. About a dozen putter fittings?

Hope all is well!

Derrick
                Ping G410 Plus 9*/Accra TZ5
                Ping 2014 Rapture 13*/Accra TZ6
                Ping G410 17.5*/Accra TZ X275
                Srixon Z565 3&4, Z765 5-P/Accra iCWT 95
                Ping Glide Stealth 50SS+54ES/Accra Tour 100i
                Evnroll ER2B 34”/370g
                MGI Zip Navigator AT/Sun Mountain Teton

Comment

I have never been fitted for a putter,after reading the above threads I feel as though I should,would this guarantee me it would make me a better putter?

Comment

Originally posted by nearace
                    I have never been fitted for a putter,after reading the above threads I feel as though I should,would this guarantee me it would make me a better putter?
                    Yes. Honestly Howie if you have any questions about your putting, getting fitted would answer if said putter wasn't fittted properly. Like your irons or driver, putters should be fit to each golfer.

Comment

Originally posted by nearace
                      Jeff did a fitting for me last spring and it helped immensely. I thought I needed the lie adjusted but it ended up being that I needed the shaft shortened.

Originally posted by cdnputter
                      Yes. Honestly Howie if you have any questions about your putting, getting fitted would answer if said putter wasn't fittted properly. Like your irons or driver, putters should be fit to each golfer.
                      Ditto.
                      Last edited by Leftygolfer30; Dec 30, 2008, 07:24 PM. Reason: Automerged posts

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
                      TM SLDR 10.5*
                      TM SLDR 3W & TM V-Steel 5W
                      TM Rescue 22*
                      4-PW Mix of Mizuno MX-25's and TM RBZ's
                      Wedges: Titleist SM 53* & 56*
                      Ping Ketch
                      Ball: What's on sale?

Comment

Originally posted by Leftygolfer30
                        Jeff did a fitting for me last spring and it helped immensely. I thought I needed the lie adjusted but it ended up being that I needed the shaft shortened. Ditto.
                        Many golfers play with a putter way too long and they never get their eyes over the golf ball.
                        Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
                        Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
                        Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Jeff did a fitting for me last spring and it helped immensely. I thought I needed the lie adjusted but it ended up being that I needed the shaft shortened.

HEY lefty, who is Jeff, what are his expertise and where is he located. I started using the Stan Utley methods last year with huge results. The Pelz way all but ruined my game. Utley stresses the importance of having a putter fit. Everything else he said has worked. But I just do not know where to go. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by SlaytheDragon
                            HEY lefty, who is Jeff, what are his expertise and where is he located. I started using the Stan Utley methods last year with huge results. The Pelz way all but ruined my game. Utley stresses the importance of having a putter fit. Everything else he said has worked. But I just do not know where to go. Thanks in advance.
                            Swank Golf in Markham. His user ID here is swaaain and he's a site sponsor.

www.swankgolf.com

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
                            TM SLDR 10.5*
                            TM SLDR 3W & TM V-Steel 5W
                            TM Rescue 22*
                            4-PW Mix of Mizuno MX-25's and TM RBZ's
                            Wedges: Titleist SM 53* & 56*
                            Ping Ketch
                            Ball: What's on sale?

Comment

I got my putter fit earlier this year. I was pulling everything. I got my putter fit into something shorter and a little bit flatter. This has allowed me to keep more of my putts online and I have brought my handicap down from a 7 to a 5 just because of my confidence on the dance floor. Ping has a fitting tool, it is a putter that is telescopic for length and has an adjustable head for Lie, I was playing with it at their fit centre and within minutes an employee fit me up and I ordered the redwood.
                              Last edited by Gforce10; Dec 30, 2008, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X