/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Los Angeles for 5 days - any recommendations?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Los Angeles for 5 days - any recommendations?

Originally posted by jose888 View Post
    We took the long drive to Rustic Canyon but we were really disappointed when we got there. The course was quite dried up (I guess it never got the rain that south LA got this winter). The holes were so so and to me the holes were not interesting until we got the middle of the back nine. This golf course was surprisingly flat for a canyon course. The only positive thing about playing here is that my drives were long as I got 100 yard rolls from my driver . Our round was almost 5 1/2 hours long - no one in Cali seems to be in a hurry?!
    It's too bad you were disappointed with Rustic Canyon (hopefully not influenced too much by your decision to make the long drive there). It has the best public layout in the LA area hands down and for less than $45 weekday. I like Oak Quarry, but mainly for the views as you mention. Out of 5 rounds I'd play Rustic Canyon 4 and Oak Quarry 1.

I've never seen the course in bad condition and I've played it quite a bit. I've certainly played it when it's been in average condition though. That said, it will never be a lush green course as the firm, fast, dry conditions are what they aim for.

Finally, pace of play is always going to be bad because public golf offerings in the LA area are super expensive and pretty mediocre.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteWalker View Post
      Actually you don't even have to drive as far as PS.
      Head to Beaumont and play Oak Valley. The wife can spend the time you are golfing at the Cabazon Outlet Mall.
      Oak Valley was $45.00 when I last played it and a surcharge of $500.00 US for the 200 stores at Cabazon. 36 holes of Morongo is also in this area.

Comment

If you're in Long Beach, Irvine in Orange County is 25 minutes south (non rush hour) on Hwy 405 with two very good public courses: a) Strawberry Farms is closest (couple of exits past John Wayne Airport). Its $80 if you're playing with a local who pays online. I played after New Year's and drought affected course conditions with parched fairways. Oak Creek also close to Irvine and is just as nice but regular green fees around $130-$140. Southern Cal has had rain since then so maybe course conditions have improved. If you're on an expense account and have a buddy staying at the resort, consider Pelican Hill. Its a high-end Fazio course (approx. $300) in Newport Beach.
        Last edited by Capilano; Apr 11, 2017, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Headed to LA in May with my father. Meeting there as he can get a cheap flight from Dubai. We are willing to drive so is it worth it to go South/East to Palm Springs/Phoenix or West to Las Vegas. This trip is just about the golf, don't care about accommodations, food, clubs houses or anything else, nice courses with good conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor59 View Post
            Headed to LA in May with my father. Meeting there as he can get a cheap flight from Dubai. We are willing to drive so is it worth it to go South/East to Palm Springs/Phoenix or West to Las Vegas. This trip is just about the golf, don't care about accommodations, food, clubs houses or anything else, nice courses with good conditions.
            Palm Desert is a relatively easy drive, you get cheap accommodations (airbnb or some of the stay and plays) and the golf is excellent. This time of year isn't the cheapest but you can still find good value if you look. I loved Terra Lago and found it the best value in the valley. Golfnow, teeoff.com and underpar can all help.
            What's in the Sunmountain 4.5?

10.5 M2 with Speeder 77 Stiff 3 wood shaft
            TM Rescue 17*
            TM M2 4-AW
            TM RAC 52/56 CG15 60
            Odyssey 2 Ball with Superstroke Fatso

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse