Collapse

Wedge Fitting Thread?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedge Fitting Thread?

Its amazing how much you can do to your wedge. Its obviously very important to all hackers. I mean the more forgiveness the better. I am not a hacker at all, however making the right decision on wedges for most people has to be paramount at $180+ per wedge.. Any opinions on different swing styles and specs, playing the weekend public courses in the gta these days.? I gotta think that having 4 wedges is ideal, playing a 3/4 shot with a 3 or 4wood is much easier, having full swings with wedges would be better tho prob, i dunno. Most lies on the public courses are not great, so I would rather swing a wedge than have larger gaps between my scoring clubs.(ive been on the hunt for wedges). I spin out of my shots frequently, would there be wedge specs that would best suit spinning out? I have always hit my 60 degree out of bunker and the odd flop shot, the 56 for greenside chipping and full shots, and the 52 for attempted knock downs.. does anybody know the bible on this stuff? Grinding options for swing types or forgiveness?
    M1 430 9.5 Speeder 661 X
    M1 3 H/L Speeder 757 X
    Mizuno MP-4 3-PW
    Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60
    TA Tru-Milled 303SS

Re: Wedge Fitting Thread?

Need to know more about you.

Ability,
    swing type (shallow or steep or neutral)
    Kinda divots you take
    Swing speed
    Tempo
    Long (bubba Watson) or short swing (think hogan)

What irons are you playing and what shaft/flex do they have?
    Do your irons have spin problems.

To me your spin issues is moreso technique and or a shaft issue not head or grind.

Most wedges come with S200 shafts but can be ordered with almost anything you want.

As for grinds and lofts that personal preferace based on what you like looking at your uses and ability.

Me personally I'm a 3 wedge guy PW 52 and 58. I prefer the hybrid at the long end of my bag. I have an easier time hitting 3/4 and 1/2 swing PW then I do a 3h or 4i.

Also do you hit most shots square faced or do you open your faces and expose the bounce?

Comment

Thanks for your reply.
      I am a weekend golfer now, however I have been playing off and on my whole life. I could shoot even par or I could shoot 90, depends on the familiar factors when one tees it up that day.
      I guess i am more of a digger with a pretty fast swing, although I try to slow the swing down as much as possible, I get anxious to play and therefore am a little anxious swinging the club most days! I also enjoy opening the face on some shots instead of the other alternatives and tend to chip with a higher lofted club instead of a 9 or 7 iron. I have read that Phil Mick has high bounces however loves to open the face and has grinds that fit his swing. Some pros have extremely low bounces on their 60 degree and higher bounces on their sandwedge or gap wedges? And of course some pros are completely opposite of each other and seem to have similar swings? What club do you use out of the sand and greenside areas normally?
      Also I agree with hitting a 3/4 PW instead of a 3/4 3 or 4i.. I guess when I hear of so called scoring clubs (being the wedges) I feel I would want more of them with more shot options. I dont feel I use my 3 and 4 iron all that much anyways these days, unless i have very short par 5s for second shot or very long par 3s? It obviously depends on the courses one plays. Anyways I probably didnt answer all your questions. And fitting wedges on mats for us Canucks cant be optimal nor is fitting wedges easy at all, especially if one likes to hit a variety of shots around the greens. Thanks again for your time
      M1 430 9.5 Speeder 661 X
      M1 3 H/L Speeder 757 X
      Mizuno MP-4 3-PW
      Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60
      TA Tru-Milled 303SS

Comment

Sorry I am playing Mizuno Mp-4 irons with the standard DG S300 shafts and my wedges are Mizuno MP-T5s with DG S300. My clubs are bent upright and lengthened an inch.
        M1 430 9.5 Speeder 661 X
        M1 3 H/L Speeder 757 X
        Mizuno MP-4 3-PW
        Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60
        TA Tru-Milled 303SS

Comment

So I agree with you there about pros etc.

Typically as you open the face you expose the bounce adding more of it.

You also have to look at Grind and what's called effective bounce.

Clubs that Phil uses have higher bounce per say but the grind on them has a low leading edge allowing it to be opened up easily and keep the leading edge low.

Some wedges have wide soles like the VOKEy F Grind and or K Grind. They may have a stated bounce angle he same as a VOKEy M grind but will play very differently.

Me personally I use my 58* wedge from the sand most of the time unless it's a far bunker shot or super soft sand. Then I use my 52*

Again I don't disagree with your logic about more scoring clubs. I used to carry a PW 50 54 58 the problem was the PW and 50* basically became "irons" only ever used on full swings. Found it a waste of a club.

As for grinds I like grinds that are versatile and lend themselves to being manipulated. And with that I spread my bounce out mid and low.

Usual grinds I like are
          VOKEy M or S or L
          TM Tour or ATv
          Callaway C or Tour or R (basically a C)
          Gonna be trying Clevelands this year they have their own unique grind so we'll see how they go.

Comment

Ok thanks for your input. So your 58 degree wedge has higher bounce for the bunkers and greenside rough and your 52 degree would be lower bounce, or am I wrong. Would you have to alter the swing out of the bunker with the lower bounce club in order not to dig too much? Do you hit lob/flop/high spin shots closer to the green with the 58 degree with higher bounce? I have read and seen people who like to have a high bounce wedge and a low bounce wedge and/or people who talk about having wedges that are similar in specs just more versatile with the grind. Im thinking I need help out of the bunkers and a wedge with more bounce might help, however I like to open the face of this club also around the greens. Thanks again and good luck with the new wedges
            M1 430 9.5 Speeder 661 X
            M1 3 H/L Speeder 757 X
            Mizuno MP-4 3-PW
            Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60
            TA Tru-Milled 303SS

Comment

No my 58 is low bounce and 52 is mid.

I hit my bunker shots with the face wide open. Also municipal/public courses typically have mediocre compact hard bunkers. For me high bounce is a disaster
              In that scenario.

Comment

Ok that makes perfect sense. I was also thinking hitting shots from 80 yards and in with a low bounce lob wedge might be tough for a digger type swing? However I guess altering ball position and swing accordingly would be easier than bouncing the club off the sand at the public courses. Thanks
                M1 430 9.5 Speeder 661 X
                M1 3 H/L Speeder 757 X
                Mizuno MP-4 3-PW
                Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60
                TA Tru-Milled 303SS

Comment

If you're a strong digger I'd look st a mid to low bounce with a mid to full sole grind. You sound like a VOKEy k Grind person. M Grind be good.

Callaway PM grind.
                  RTX MG

All come to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
                    Need to know more about you.

Ability,
                    swing type (shallow or steep or neutral)
                    Kinda divots you take
                    Swing speed
                    Tempo
                    Long (bubba Watson) or short swing (think hogan)

What irons are you playing and what shaft/flex do they have?
                    Do your irons have spin problems.

To me your spin issues is moreso technique and or a shaft issue not head or grind.

Most wedges come with S200 shafts but can be ordered with almost anything you want.

As for grinds and lofts that personal preferace based on what you like looking at your uses and ability.

Me personally I'm a 3 wedge guy PW 52 and 58. I prefer the hybrid at the long end of my bag. I have an easier time hitting 3/4 and 1/2 swing PW then I do a 3h or 4i.

Also do you hit most shots square faced or do you open your faces and expose the bounce?

Hogan's swing was not short. Check Jim McLean's book "The Definitive Hogan" as their are excellent pictures of Hogan's swing therein.
                    In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
                    Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, KuroKage 606 S
                    TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                    TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
                    PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
                    TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
                    Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
                    TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

Compared to today's pros hogans swing was much more compact solid and flatter. Thing of beauty. Is his swing short for his era no but it's shorter in comparison to many swings of today. And in truth I couldn't think of anyone off the top of my head with a more compact swing.
                      But JB Holmes comes to mind now

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
                        Compared to today's pros hogans swing was much more compact solid and flatter. Thing of beauty. Is his swing short for his era no but it's shorter in comparison to many swings of today. And in truth I couldn't think of anyone off the top of my head with a more compact swing.
                        But JB Holmes comes to mind now
                        The correct title of the book is "The Complete Hogan". Old age got me on that one. On pages 83 and 116 are full swing shots of Hogan with a driver and iron respectively. With the driver he is past parallel and with the iron a tad short of parallel.

I'll agree on the flatter plane but the visible evidence points to a full swing. Compact swings of today include Appleby, McDowell, and to a lessor degree Woodland.
                        In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
                        Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, KuroKage 606 S
                        TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                        TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
                        PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
                        TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
                        Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
                        TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

well tks for the info and nudge i needed to go get some vokies today right after a blood test and a failed breathing test.. need to quit smoking one day I got a neutral bounce m grind 60, an S Grind 10 56 and a 52 12 for less chunks from 120 ish.. all passed the open face basement shot. I think the hardest decision was the club from bunkers and tight lies after listening.
                          The Callaway Mack Pan 60 degree by Phil looks nice, sorta pinglike but flatter
                          M1 430 9.5 Speeder 661 X
                          M1 3 H/L Speeder 757 X
                          Mizuno MP-4 3-PW
                          Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60
                          TA Tru-Milled 303SS

Comment

Bobby Jones' swing 1923ish. Compact swing? I think not

Comment

Originally posted by Hope469 View Post
                              Grinding options for swing types or forgiveness?
                              The PING Tour Gorge has a nice profile at address than does the Titleist SM5/SM6 and is available in 3 sole widths.

The profile is closer to the older 200 Series Vokeys and the earlier Spin Milled versions.
                              Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
                              Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
                              Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X