/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Los Angeles for 5 days - any recommendations?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Los Angeles for 5 days - any recommendations?

Originally posted by golfunderpar18 View Post
    didn't read the article about being third worst course they play but I would also take that with a grain of sand. The PGA tour don't play at Annandale or Bushwood! They are playing the best of the best where conditioning is world class.
    I played Torrey South and North before the drought and just last year. A friend of mine is a resident and has played it many times. One of the worst parts about Torrey has been their conditions. Because a course hosts the PGA TOUR doesn't mean its conditions are world class every week of the year. And from what I gather and my own experiences, it is far from it for most.

Comment

LA is probably one of the worst warm climate golf destinations in the US. Traffic is horrendous, a thirty minute commute on the map can take you up to 1.5-2 hours in traffic. Many moons ago I went to school in CA and my brother still lives there, last time I visited, I didn't even attempt to play golf. Most of the reasonable price courses, Rustic Canyon, Oak Quarry, Strawberry Farms are on the out skirts of the city and depending on where you are staying, it can take a good hour to get there and more coming back depending on the time of day.

OP, if you are staying in Long Beach, try Skylinks GC or Palos Verdes, but keep in mind, that they let out FIVESOMES and five hour rounds are not unheard of. Due to the traffic, I would go south to Orange County area instead of going north.

Comment

Originally posted by AverageJoe View Post
        Because a course hosts the PGA TOUR doesn't mean its conditions are world class every week of the year. And from what I gather and my own experiences, it is far from it for most.
        My company just hosted the farmers insurance open at Torrey and I spent 2 weeks there before and during the open. Course was in great condition. I'm sure with all of the doe tattoos and lay it took a beating.

SoCal had been in a 6 year drought but after a rainy winter this has helped many courses. As a high traffic public course holding 100,000 rounds a year I agree conditions would not always be good. Don't know any courses which are perfect all year.

Understand you don't like Torrey....got your point.

Comment

I'll be playing Torrey South on Tuesday morning...will report on my experience. Planning to get there around 4:45 AM to be one of the first out. Might be overrated to some, but it's a must-play for me being in the area for the first time.
          Titleist 915D2 10.5*
          Yonex E-Zone XP 18*
          Titleist 915H 21*
          Titleist AP1 714 4-6
          Titleist AP2 714 7-PW
          Vokey 50* 56* 62*
          Scotty Cameron A.O.P. Newport
          Bridgestone E6

Comment

Originally posted by wrigley View Post
            LA is probably one of the worst warm climate golf destinations in the US. Traffic is horrendous, a thirty minute commute on the map can take you up to 1.5-2 hours in traffic. Many moons ago I went to school in CA and my brother still lives there, last time I visited, I didn't even attempt to play golf. Most of the reasonable price courses, Rustic Canyon, Oak Quarry, Strawberry Farms are on the out skirts of the city and depending on where you are staying, it can take a good hour to get there and more coming back depending on the time of day.

OP, if you are staying in Long Beach, try Skylinks GC or Palos Verdes, but keep in mind, that they let out FIVESOMES and five hour rounds are not unheard of. Due to the traffic, I would go south to Orange County area instead of going north.
            Yep agree best to go to Orange County or further south of east. Skylinks and recreation park are both in the heart of long beach but they are very entry level public courses. I wouldn't suggest either unless you just need a round or a driving range close by. Palos verdes would be a nicer option but a bit further north in the South Bay Area.

Comment

Thanks for all those who replied! I am now getting nervous with all the BAD Traffic comments. I better take heed and ensure we give ample time to get to our tee times.

We have booked Palos Verde for the first day. We are planning to trek to Rustic Canyon the next day as we have some family to visit North of the City. We are going to see what Golf Now offers up for our last 2 days. We are hoping that Strawberry Farms or Oak Creek announces some cheap weekday twilight rates.

I will post how the week goes when I return!

Comment

Originally posted by AverageJoe View Post
                Monterey? I'm pretty sure you are referring to Monterey as in where Pebble Beach is located. If that's the case it's at least 5 hours from LA and any of the courses I listed. I would advise against it
                Hahaha yes, but i'll be stopping over family in Anaheim for a bit, a little close still plus I'm coming from Vegas
                Cobra King F7
                Cobra Bio Cell+ 12.5
                Cobra Bio Cell+ 16*
                Cobra Amp Pro 6-AW + KBS C-Tapers S
                Cobra Tour Trusty Dual (56/60)
                Bettinardi Studio 6

Comment

Originally posted by jose888 View Post
                  Thanks for all those who replied! I am now getting nervous with all the BAD Traffic comments. I better take heed and ensure we give ample time to get to our tee times.

We have booked Palos Verde for the first day. We are planning to trek to Rustic Canyon the next day as we have some family to visit North of the City. We are going to see what Golf Now offers up for our last 2 days. We are hoping that Strawberry Farms or Oak Creek announces some cheap weekday twilight rates.

I will post how the week goes when I return!
                  The population of Southern California is around 23 million people thus why traffic is so bad! Weather should be great though. Most days you'll likely never see a cloud!

If you are going to moorpark (rustic canyon) avoid coming back too early as the traffic coming east from Ventura county is really bad. Have dinner out that way and head back to long beach after 730 or 8.

Also remember that it's spring so the days are short. Saving a few $ on twilight might not help of you can't finish your round!

Comment

Originally posted by imAnewbie View Post
                    Hahaha yes, but i'll be stopping over family in Anaheim for a bit, a little close still plus I'm coming from Vegas
                    Anaheim to The pebble beach area? Can't get much worse! Likely about a 9 hour drive. Traffic is really bad in the Disney area and from there you'll have to drive through Los Angeles. Monterey is awesome though. Take your time and do the 17 mile drive. Make the time to continue north to San Francisco.

Comment

What about changing it up and going down the 91 to I 15 and into the Temecula area? Lots of good courses there that are reasonably priced, have dinner in Temecula on the board walk, look at the museum and head back to Long Beach. A little cooler there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by sikoram View Post
                        What about changing it up and going down the 91 to I 15 and into the Temecula area? Lots of good courses there that are reasonably priced, have dinner in Temecula on the board walk, look at the museum and head back to Long Beach. A little cooler there as well.
                        Nice area for sure. Went there this summer to some wineries. A bit more of a "couples" location I'd say but traffic wise might be a nice spot for a round.

Comment

spend some time on 2nd street in Long Beach/Belmont Shores... a great spot for dinner and drinks.
                          Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.

Also make sure you hit up In N Out burgers at least once!

Comment

I just returned to Toronto this week and had a great time in the LA area. We played Rustic Canyon, Los Verdes and Oak Quarry. Oak quarry was the best of the lot...we played it twice.

We had planned to play Palos Verdes however when we booked they advised the greens were recently punched and sanded so opted to pass as this course was the most expensive. We took the long drive to Rustic Canyon but we were really disappointed when we got there. The course was quite dried up (I guess it never got the rain that south LA got this winter). The holes were so so and to me the holes were not interesting until we got the middle of the back nine. This golf course was surprisingly flat for a canyon course. The only positive thing about playing here is that my drives were long as I got 100 yard rolls from my driver . Our round was almost 5 1/2 hours long - no one in Cali seems to be in a hurry?!

We played next day at Los Verde. This course has lots of potential and has an amazing view of the ocean on almost every hole. The course condition wise was a bit rough but the greens were fast and true. But man the round was SLOW! 6 1/2 hours....there were probably some 5somes ahead of us. Hey we were not complaining only paid 30 bucks with cart...and I spent time taking pics of the coast line.

By far the highlight was Oak Quarry! The views were amazing! The pics on their websites do not do it justice. The conditions of the fairways and greens were excellent. Note every hole breaks away from the mountain except for 4 and 12. The only draw back was the sand bunkers. Not sure if it is common in California but all the bunkers seemed to be hard packed and contains little pebbles (referring to green side bunkers not waste bunkers).

We were going to play strawberry farms our last day but decided last minute to play Oak Quarry again. The price on golf now only $44 with cart. The golf course was over an hour away from our hotel but the course was not that busy and our round was just over 4 hours. So the time lost in travel we gained by playing faster.

Cheers.

Comment

Drive to Palm Springs
                              golf is pure escapism ...

Comment

Originally posted by going4broke View Post
                                Drive to Palm Springs
                                Actually you don't even have to drive as far as PS.
                                Head to Beaumont and play Oak Valley. The wife can spend the time you are golfing at the Cabazon Outlet Mall.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X