Collapse

I'm starting to miss Tiger

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I'm starting to miss Tiger

Wonder now what TW will be bagging now that he has the choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Pimento Cheese View Post
      I don't know. It wouldn't surprise me. And it's not a negative reflection on Tiger if there isn't the same old fire.

Perhaps I can better illustrate what I'm thinking.

I try to picture myself in Tiger's shoes: being the best player on the planet from my early twenties to well into my thirties. Life is awesome. I can win at will. The world defines me as the best golfer on the planet and that's how I see myself. I have a couple of kids, and now I'm the best golfer on the planet and I have a couple of kids. Life is great!

Then some injuries. Then a long layoff. Suddenly, I'm working out at home, watching golf on TV, and spending a lot more time with my kids and other people who are special to me. And I'm over 40. And I can now see that even if I can get back on top, I will not be an elite golfer forever. There's an end to this road.

But that's not the end of me. I have kids who I love, I've got other interests.

In this new context, golf is no longer the thing that defines me. It's a thing I do. An important thing yes, but it's no longer something I "need." I have many years to look forward to that are non-golf years. My kids and my other interests are what my life is going to be in a future that's coming up very quickly. Those are the things that define me, going forward.

Golf is not the biggest priority anymore. I have a future outside of golf -- I don't need it anymore. Want it? Yes! Want to win? Absolutely!

But "fire" doesn't come from wanting -- it comes from needing.

As I said, if the fire is gone, it's not a negative reflection on Tiger: it's a positive reflection on Tiger. He's a grown-up, he's a father -- there are more important things in his life than golf. That's a pretty healthy place for an athlete to be at this point in their life.
      I can agree with all this.

I still have to believe that Tiger feels he is able to win and win another major. This fall return could determine whether we see Tiger next year or whether he hangs them up.

A competitive athlete who loses the fire will not perform at his best , IMO.
      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

I don't agree. Then again, PC and I don't often. I get the point, for sure, but I don't think he'd come back at all if he didn't feel he could compete at the highest level. He has nothing to prove to anyone. He could simply say "I can no longer compete at the highest level without pain or risk of further injury, therefore I am retiring from competitive golf." And go out with head held high (putting aside personal scandals).

My guess is that if he's coming back, he's doing so to be on the big stage again and he has something to prove, that he's not washed up and can give all the young guns a run again. If the fall trial goes well, he will build his game around the majors next year. If his injuries flare up, then perhaps he'll retire. He obviously believes in himself and you have to, at that level in any game or for that matter, business.

I wish him all the best. His career is second to only one.

Comment

I am expecting a similar result to Prince Fielder. I'm not a spine doctor but once one level degenerates it puts extra stress on adjacent levels. When a second level degenerates, well it is time to take it easy the rest of your life IMO. PF had fusion on both levels while TW only had a discectomy AKAIK so maybe Tigers case is less severe?
          Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Comment

Who got tix to the Masters next year?

Comment

I'm a big fan of Tiger but I don't have high expectations for his return. I like others am curious to see what brand he goes with.

Comment

I read Dunlop somewhere....or did I imagine that?

Comment

I'm pulling for Tiger to rock the golf world by going with Top Flite and winning the Masters with a set of clubs he bought at Walmart. Then do a putter-flip while walking off 18.

Comment

It will be interesting. Apparently, Notay Begay said Tiger's next comeback will be his last. I also read he has a whole garage full of Nike gear he likes so he will not need to change clubs anytime soon.
                    I think their is a concern when he always talks about "explosiveness". He seems obsessed with distance. He may not be able to hit it as far as DJ or Bubba anymore but if the rest of his game comes around, he could still win plenty. If he can accept that he doesn't need to be the longest driver out there anymore.
                    If he averages 300 from the tee and short game comes back, he wins plenty. Best long iron player ever and that is a huge advantage statistically.

Comment

I would love to see him bag PXG equipment...simply from the standpoint of what the company would do....hold out for $4000k per set or try a lower grade set to appeal to the masses.

Comment

I bet TW will continue to play Nike clubs in the foreseeable future, maybe except the putter.

Comment

Originally posted by Bellyhungry View Post
                          I bet TW will continue to play Nike clubs in the foreseeable future, maybe except the putter.
                          It's gonna be a pay to play deal - can't see him bagging equipment that's not going to generate dollars in his pocket. I hope he goes all out and rakes in the endorsement dollars - I see logos on everything! He might even play a Volvik

Comment

I really don't like Speith, I find he is full of himself.... I don't like his attitude and he thinks he's better than he actually is. Media made him that way though. Tiger could have at least shape his shots, haven't seen much of that from Speith. Speith is more straight line.

Think Speith can do shots like these?

https://youtu.be/Wrrwme1uKWU

https://youtu.be/0ZcpbsoeDZ0

Comment

Originally posted by triniexr View Post
                              I really don't like Speith, I find he is full of himself.... I don't like his attitude and he thinks he's better than he actually is. Media made him that way though. Tiger could have at least shape his shots, haven't seen much of that from Speith. Speith is more straight line.

Think Speith can do shots like these?

https://youtu.be/Wrrwme1uKWU

https://youtu.be/0ZcpbsoeDZ0
                              Of course he can't, he is not Tiger Woods ! (and neither are any of the other young pretenders)

Comment

Originally posted by Pimento Cheese View Post
                                But "fire" doesn't come from wanting -- it comes from needing. .
                                Agreed but some people are just wired differently. An example that we can all understand is Gordie Howe. Mr. Hockey had the fire to compete physically at the highest level until the age of 52.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X