Blue Jays 2016 post-season

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blue Jays 2016 post-season

Originally posted by smc66 View Post
    Some of these numbers don't look right (Martin, Donaldson, Estrada)
    pulled off of ESPN's website - not sure
    MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Pending free agents with 2016 numbers..

Jose Bautista RF 36 TOR 99 69 22 .234 .818 $14,000,000
      R.A. Dickey RP 41 TOR 169.7 4.35 10 0 $12,000,000
      Edwin Encarnacion DH 33 TOR 158 127 42 .263 .886 $10,000,000
      Scott Feldman RP 33 TOR 77 3.97 7 0 $8,000,000
      Joaquin Benoit RP 39 TOR 48 2.81 3 1 $7,500,000
      Dioner Navarro C 32 TOR 63 35 6 .207 .587 $4,000,000
      Brett Cecil RP 30 TOR 36.7 3.93 1 0 $3,800,000
      Jason Grilli RP 39 TOR 59 4.12 7 4 $3,500,000
      Michael Saunders LF 29 TOR 124 57 24 .253 .816 $2,900,000
      Darwin Barney SS 30 TOR 75 19 4 .269 .695 1 $1,050,000
      Gavin Floyd RP 33 TOR 31 4.07 2 0 $1,000,000
      Josh Thole C 29 TOR 20 7 1 .169 .483 $507,500
      Casey Kotchman 1B 33 TOR -
      Brad Penny SP 38 TOR -
      Daric Barton 1B 31 TOR -
      Alexi Casilla 2B 32 TOR

Again, sorry for the format.

Comment

Hope that this comes out a little clearer. Pending free agents who played on the MLB team. With their salaries for this season. And their age at the start ofr next season. The Jays can pick up Grilli's option for next year for $3 million and I think that is a no brainer. Also included is Josh Thole who is not a free agent as he is arbitration eligible for next year and therefore under team control.

Dioner Navarro 5,000,000 33
        Jason Grilli 3,500,000 40
        Michael Saunders 2,875,000 30
        Brett Cecil 3,800,000 30
        Gavin Floyd 1,000,000 34
        Joaquin Benoit 8,232,596 39
        Edwin Encarnacion 10,000,000 34
        Scott Feldman 8,000,000 34
        R.A. Dickey 12,000,000 42
        Jose Bautista 14,000,000 36
        Josh Thole 800,000 30

1) Navarro better than the average back-up catcher. Also better paid but worth it. Particularly since Martin broke down this year.
        2) Grilli, a no brainer for $3 million.
        3) Saunders will get more than this year. But the Jays need left handed bats. And his post all-star drop may have been a result of missing all of last season.
        4) Brett Cecil. Left handed relievers are valuable and Cecil seemed to regain his form in the post-season.
        5) Gavin Floyd. Had good numbers until he got hurt. Is basically made of glass. But for the right amount could again be valuable.
        6) Benoit. Worth a chance at his age? Still has good velocity. Depends on the cost.
        7) EE. Would love to re-sign him. Would hate to have him end up in the Jays' division.
        8) Feldman. A journeyman who did not show much in his time with the Jays. Price dependent?
        9) Dickey. The Jays already have 5 starters. And he needs a specialized catcher.
        10) Bautista. Certainly hurt his market value this year. ???????????
        11) Thole. Could play him in the minors or release him. Compared to most back-up catchers is cheap and statistically not the worst (career number wise). Still without Dickey see no need for him. Better to re-sign Kratz for Buffalo as the #3?
        Last edited by Arthur Dailey; Oct 20, 2016, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Bautista had an injury riddled year and is 36 but is only one year removed from being 8th in AL MVP voting. I would not give up on him yet. He did have below average numbers all year in everything except OBP which was career average. Big question is how much did his production suffer from playing hurt vs. getting older.

EE actually had his lowest OPS since 2011 and his highest strikeout rate. The big difference he had this year was not losing a chunk of the season to injury, he seemed to get that out of the way in Spring Training. Played in 160 games this year, a number he has never reached before, will he reach it ever again?

I would say there is a better chance of Bautista having a healthy comeback year then there is Encarnacion duplicating his health from this year.

I think I have stated before my preference is to have both of them back, but if only one I still feel the odds of Bautista staying healthy is better than EE staying healthy in any given season. Oh, and I would give Bautista a 1B glove on the way out this year and tell him to show up to spring training knowing how to use it.

Comment

I would like to see Eddie back but think Jose will be gone especially after some of his comments throughout this season especially his last ones about Merrit.

The funny thing about Jose is after the game they were showing some of hits over the years and quite a few of them were opposite field. What happened to that guy. Still a big fan of him though but think his best days are behind him.

On a long shot I would love to see them sign Chapman.

Pitching looks great for next year with Lariano filling in for Dickey which as everyone points out leads to he need for a new catcher behind Russell.

Definately need some more left hand quality bats too.

Comment

As usual, completely agree with pendlebg. Nobody is signing JB to be an outfielder. I would not bring Saunders back myself either. I wish Pompey was better. A player like him would be nice to have, but I'm not sure if he can get it done at this level. Alford is a guy in our system - current in the fall league - who seems to have the potential, but I'm not sure how far away he is.

Comment

Originally posted by P25 View Post
                As usual, completely agree with pendlebg. Nobody is signing JB to be an outfielder. I would not bring Saunders back myself either. I wish Pompey was better. A player like him would be nice to have, but I'm not sure if he can get it done at this level. Alford is a guy in our system - current in the fall league - who seems to have the potential, but I'm not sure how far away he is.
                As an ex 3b Jose, like Eddie should be able to handle defensive duties at 1b. Although he is not as big a target as Edwin. And with Bautista's arm now suspect 1b is a good place for him.

Just depends on the price and contract length.

And would just hate to have to play against Edwin, particularly if he joins the Bosox. Would pad his numbers considerably at Fenway.

And the Jays are paying Smoak $4.75 million to be the back-up at 1b for the next couple of years.

Alford played in the Florida State League (A+ level) so that is probably still a long way from the Majors. Hit .236 with 9 homers and an OBP of .344 in 92 games.

At the same age and in the same league in 70 games Pompey went .319 with an OBP of .397 and 6 home runs.
                Last edited by Arthur Dailey; Oct 20, 2016, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Unfortunately for Pompey, he was kinda exposed in a bad way in Buffalo. He can get on base, but hits for very little power at the higher levels, and even with his speed isn't stretching out doubles and triples like you'd expect. That suggests there simply aren't a lot of hard-hit balls in general. That won't play well in the big leagues at all and is likely the reason why management was reluctant to call him up, and when they did, only did so for pinch-running purposes.

It's a shame, because he looked so good in his initial September callup a few years ago, but it's a reminder that you should never fall in love with a September callup, because they'll break your heart.

Comment

Originally posted by IAAFM View Post
                    think Jose will be gone especially after some of his comments throughout this season especially his last ones about Merrit.
                    yes.

I love the Jays and have followed them since day 1 but feel that Jose
                    ( despite what he has done for the team) is by far the most polarizing player that I can recall. Maybe I am alone in feeling this way but more and more , and particularly over the course of this year found it harder and harder to like him, and now at the point where I simply don't.
                    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                      yes.

I love the Jays and have followed them since day 1 but feel that Jose
                      ( despite what he has done for the team) is by far the most polarizing player that I can recall. Maybe I am alone in feeling this way but more and more , and particularly over the course of this year found it harder and harder to like him, and now at the point where I simply don't.
                      George Bell?
                      Orlando Hudson?
                      Kelly Gruber?
                      Shea Hillenbrand?
                      David Wells (his first go round)?
                      Roger Clemens?

Not a lot of discontents in the Jays history, but still is Jose the most polarizing?

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
                        George Bell?
                        Orlando Hudson?
                        Kelly Gruber?
                        Shea Hillenbrand?
                        David Wells (his first go round)?
                        Roger Clemens?

Not a lot of discontents in the Jays history, but still is Jose the most polarizing?
                        ok, maybe I should have chosen a more direct wording....Jose is the most unlikeable, at least to me.

I liked Bell, Gruber was and remains one of my fav all-time Jays, Hudson -meh, Wells arrogant for sure, Clemons - simply an a-hole, but perhaps gives Jose a good run for most unlikeable although I think he behaved reasonably well while here despite the massive ego. I can't recall anything that bothered me about Shea and he was pretty insignificant anyways.

i"m sure there are others too Alomar , Lawrie,

Comment

I can't recall anything that bothered me about Shea and he was pretty insignificant anyways.
                          "Play for yourself. The ship is sinking."

Comment

I love this look back on the last 7+ years with Jose:

One of the best to wear a Blue Jays uniform.

Comment

Originally posted by P25 View Post
                              I love this look back on the last 7+ years with Jose:

One of the best to wear a Blue Jays uniform.
                              No denying he was a good player and will most certainly find his name on the level of excellence .

Comment

No denying he was a good player and will most certainly find his name on the level of excellence .
                                Yep. Not saying you were. He had a down year. Mostly because of injuries. I love looking back on those moments. Aside from the bat flip, my favourite was when he hit a rope off O'Day after being buzzed, and skipped to 1st base.

He's a love him or hate him guy. I love that he says what's on his mind. Some can't stand it. A lot of the time, his quotes are taken way out of context. Boot comment is a prime example.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X