New strategy for par fives

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New strategy for par fives

Originally posted by ManFromMoffat View Post
    There was an old show on GlobalTV years ago, which might have consisted of one episode.

Buddy plays three holes -- pars 3, 4 and 5 -- with something like 7 iron, wedge and putter. Shoots maybe +1 for the three holes, including a rim-out. Not everyone can scramble like that but it was one illustration of what a conservative approach combined with a good short game can achieve.
    Funny you should mention this. It was a How to Break 90 video. A had a beta version it's that old. The golf pro was a pastor I think and it included his daughter. Same guy set a record by playing something like 500 holes in a day. The only time I thought my way through a round this year I shot an 84, which is great for me. I'm also going to use his swing tip which is at some point in your back-swing and follow-through your thumbs should point to the sky.

Comment

Originally posted by miles View Post
      I look at all par 5s as a par4.
      The only time I don't go for them in two is if there is a water hazard in front that I know I will end up in then I will lay up
      You might share your index to qualify this (nice dig up of 2 year old post too ;-)

Are you shooting 95 with this strategy or 75?

I can reach most, but lay up when the risk reward suggests I've a better shot at making a 4 with a 100 yard approach in 3 vs a risky long approach in 2.

P

Comment

Originally posted by petvan View Post
        You might share your index to qualify this (nice dig up of 2 year old post too ;-)

I can reach most, but lay up when the risk reward suggests I've a better shot at making a 4 with a 100 yard approach in 3 vs a risky long approach in 2.

P
        This is my strategy too. I almost always go for it unless the trouble around the green suggests the prudent play is to lay up. I find my scores to be better when I'm aggressive. Also depends how I feel that day, etc.

Comment

P
          A buddy of mine that plays off +2 takes the strategy of not going for a green in 2 if he has anymore than hybrid, unless there is a ton of room around the green to miss., as well as no danger of being nastily short sided, or something of that nature.

I've adopted it recently and although I have less eagle chances, my birdie putts are usually shorter and I have eliminated the stupid bogey.

Comment

Originally posted by P25 View Post
            This is my strategy too. I almost always go for it unless the trouble around the green suggests the prudent play is to lay up. I find my scores to be better when I'm aggressive. Also depends how I feel that day, etc.
            Me too. Don't think my birdies vary much but I take fewer high numbers.

Richie2jack has crunched the numbers for a long time and for the better player he has concluded that being conservative is a fast way to higher scores.
            I like big putts and I cannot lie
            You other putters can't deny
            That when a putt goes in with an itty bitty pace
            You're gonna fist pump in their face - Sir Putts-A-Lot

It's how well you golf fast!!!!

Comment

P
              I'm good a chipping, not so good at putting and have chipped into the hole regularly (twice last time out). If had a choice of a long putt or a chip or lop shot I will take the chip or lop over the putt any time as I will be within 2 - 4 feet of the pin. This is why I will go for 2 on par 5's I will have a chance a eagle but brid is realistic. (View as a par)
              Driver: Wilson D200 (set at 9*),UST Mamiya Elements Chrome Stiff.
              3W: Wilson D200,UST Mamiya Elements Chrome Reg.
              7W: Taylor Made (that's it bought in 1986)
              Irons: Ping I-irons Yellow Dot, 4-9 + W45*+ UW50*, CFS 70gram Graphite Reg.
              Mack Daddy 60/10 Wedge
              Putter: Ping Anser Beryllium Copper Putter (bought it in 1982)

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
              X