• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too Expen$ive !!

Sticker shock...

2016 Titleist AP2, CB and MB irons = $1,599
    2016 Taylormade M1 = $599
    Mom, dad, two in post secondary, one in public school = keep what i got !!

Seemingly too steep even for TGNers with equipment issues IMO....

Re: Too Expen$ive !!

Yeah the prices are a joke and they will continue to blame the low $, but the US prices rose as well but not as high. Apparently $1300 for AP2's in the US. Try adding in some upgraded shafts and you'll really roll your eyes. Steelfibers are $75 ea, so to do your 8 piece set, your now at $2485.99 tax in... Pure jokes.

No worries on the M1 as it'll be half that in the spring when I'll be looking into a new driver possibly.

Comment

Not too mention the new hybrids at $329.99 a piece. The prices will auto correct themselves as people will not buy. I have played Titleist for a long time and would not consider paying that for a set of OTR irons with dynamic gold shafts in them.
      Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond 8* - Ventus Blue 6X
      Taylormade Stealth+ 15* - Ventus Blue 7x
      Taylormade Sim2 ti -19* - Ventus Red 9x
      Titleist T100s 4-PW - PX 6.5
      SM9 50F 54D 58T - PX 6.5
      Odyssey Tank 7
      Pro V1
      Bushnell Tour V4 Shift

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead View Post
        Sticker shock...

It's smart marketing. They know they'll continue to sell R15 and Aeroburner at their current sale price or even lower in a few months and when the M1's price is lowered next year, the consumer will be getting a "deal" when it's $449 by next spring/summer. The cycle continues. Just like how R15's are a deal at $349.

Comment

Fortunately you can still play great golf with old sticks!!

Comment

Originally posted by sunshiNee View Post
            Fortunately you can still play great golf with old sticks!!
            Lies, very few of the players I see on tv do. They constantely change to the latest and greatest. If the old stuff was that good why don't they play it

Comment

Originally posted by Gwelfgulfer View Post
              Lies, very few of the players I see on tv do. They constantely change to the latest and greatest. If the old stuff was that good why don't they play it
              Lol , Ya why not

Bottom line they are in the business of making money,
              They do this one of 3 ways
              1. Sell more product ( we know from many reports golf equip sales have been falling and continue to )
              2. Cut costs . I'm sure they are doing this as well reducing item costs wherevthey can , moving to diffrent foundries for cheaper shafts etc, but can only go on for so long)
              3. Increase the item price
              "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                Lol , Ya why not

Bottom line they are in the business of making money,
                They are, as is all business, but there has to be a point where you say 'wtf are we doing', but Execs will never say that. The greed of making more each year than previous is why we will continue to see shady deals going on that get a blind eye turned to.

Its not they they are actually losing money, they just aren't making as much as they want. Which in the end only hurts the lower people unfortunately.

Comment

Sticker shock...

Based on Titleist's pricing, look for Mizuno to have a great year as their prices have remained stable, e.g. the MP25 at $1,099.
                  In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
                  Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, KuroKage 606 S
                  TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                  TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
                  PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
                  TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
                  Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
                  TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

They are, as is all business, but there has to be a point where you say 'wtf are we doing', but Execs will never say that. The greed of making more each year than previous is why we will continue to see shady deals going on that get a blind eye turned to.

Its not they they are actually losing money, they just aren't making as much as they want. Which in the end only hurts the lower people unfortunately.
                    So you speak in the language they understand: don't spend your money with them.

They're free to set their prices anywhere they want. And nobody is forced to pay those prices. So use that to your advantage. It's business on the consumer as well. What's good for the goose, and all....

Turn it around: are you going to sell someone something for $40 when they will gladly give you $60?

Comment

Originally posted by Bluefan75 View Post
                      So you speak in the language they understand: don't spend your money with them.

They're free to set their prices anywhere they want. And nobody is forced to pay those prices. So use that to your advantage. It's business on the consumer as well. What's good for the goose, and all....

Turn it around: are you going to sell someone something for $40 when they will gladly give you $60?
                      Issue with golf equipment is that its the stores that get hit harder than the OEM's as the stores are their main purchasers. Until the likes of GT/GS say 'no way kiddo', prices will rise.

I would love to see the purchasers say no to the OEMs and make them sit in the naughty corner for a season. That would change their tunes very quickly. Take a page out of Walmarts play book and squeeze the OEMs, especially if you are the largest purchaser in the world of their product. So much now at the higher price point is all custom order work, and vary rarely does someone walk in the door and buy something otr at that price. So they are stuck with equipment until markdowns.

But too many greased pockets for that to ever happen.
                      Last edited by Gwelfgulfer; Sep 24, 2015, 07:47 AM.

Comment

I have to laugh at a recent ad for the M1: "Jason Day switched to M1 and lead the field in driving distance at the BMW Championship."

He was not exactly hurting for distance with his previous R15, I watched him drop BOMBS all day during the final round of the Canadian Open. Guy absolutely crushes it.
                        10 degree Cobra Fly-Z+ / Matrix White Tie 55X4
                        16 degree Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 / Fujikura Speeder 865
                        20 degree Ping Rapture V2 Hybrid / MR JavlinFX
                        4-AW Nike Vapor Pro Combo / DG Pro

54, 58 degree Ping Glide / CFS
                        Ping Anser Redwood

Srixon ZStar XV

Comment

Issue with golf equipment is that its the stores that get hit harder than the OEM's as the stores are their main purchasers. Until the likes of GT/GS say 'no way kiddo', prices will rise.

I would love to see the purchasers say no to the OEMs and make them sit in the naughty corner for a season. That would change their tunes very quickly. Take a page out of Walmarts play book and squeeze the OEMs, especially if you are the largest purchaser in the world of their product.

But too many greased pockets for that to ever happen.
                          Titleist could be in for a JetSpeed-like experience if they're sufficiently delusional to believe their 716 line will move at the same pace as previous models. I usually entertain upgrading but no way would i justify the expense this time around.

And I agree with rgk5 - Mizuno offer as good, or superior forgings and their pricing is stable...hello MP-25 / MP-5

Comment

And I agree with rgk5 - Mizuno offer as good, or superior forgings and their pricing is stable...hello MP-25 / MP-5
                            That coupled with their no charge for any shaft in their matrix (graphite aside) and now no chanrge grips (NDMC if you choose) of what they carry is an added bonus.

Outside of the MP5's, I didn't like the looks of their new stuff, to me the MP25 had a much thicker top line then I was expecting or liked.

Tho I did like the blue wedges, curious how they will wear and look like.

Comment

Can't remember the last time i bought a new club. Oh, it was a G20 I picked up a few christmases ago for $100. Before that I have no idea though I recall buying some TaylorMade burners about 20 years ago new. The prices are looney tunes.
                              MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X