The "OFFICIAL" 2014 Ryder Cup thread

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The "OFFICIAL" 2014 Ryder Cup thread

Originally posted by golfingoalie View Post
    Make sure your captain does not make a match that puts somebody in that position.

If guys don't want to play under what is proposed then please don't. We will have a full team.

I know you'll have a full squad....your guys will be chomping at the bit under this format.

In the first few events you weren't allowed to play outside your flight unless hcs dictated so. But even in those cases they played the next lowest capped player in hopes of keeping strokes to a minimum.
    Callaway X Hot Pro 8.5* w/ MCS X flex
    Callaway X2 Hot Pro 14.5* 3 Deep w/ Aldila Tour Green S flex
    Callaway X Hot 18* and 23* w/ PX 6.0
    Callaway Tour Authentic X-Prototype 5-PW w/ PX 5.5
    Callaway Jaws X Series 52/56/60 w/ stock uniflex
    Heavy Putter K3 w/ Superstroke Flatso Mid

Comment

Originally posted by mpare View Post
      Gerry, I think that the handicapping "solution", especially between different divisions, is the wrong way to resolve what some perceive as inaccurate handicaps. All this does is shift the advantage to the lower caps, especially for higher handicapped players who accurately tracked their scores, which I would say was most, if not all the players. As it is, I have already said this much and more on the OG site to no avail. It'll be interesting to see how many blowouts happen. Statistically, if handicapping means anything, most of the matches should be won by the better players, since the advantage has been skewed in their favour.
      couldn't agree more. Me at a 15 right now getting 2 strokes from a 0-5? Fuggetaboutit, this match will be over after 10 holes.
      MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

You can share a beer with me, Jeff.

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post
        couldn't agree more. Me at a 15 right now getting 2 strokes from a 0-5? Fuggetaboutit, this match will be over after 10 holes.
        This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Originally posted by mpare View Post
          Gerry, I think that the handicapping "solution", especially between different divisions, is the wrong way to resolve what some perceive as inaccurate handicaps. All this does is shift the advantage to the lower caps, especially for higher handicapped players who accurately tracked their scores, which I would say was most, if not all the players. As it is, I have already said this much and more on the OG site to no avail. It'll be interesting to see how many blowouts happen. Statistically, if handicapping means anything, most of the matches should be won by the better players, since the advantage has been skewed in their favour.

I'm with you on this one Mike. I think the two or three "career rounds" throughout the history of this event is blurring the relevance of all the matches that played out exactly as they should have with appropriate strokes given. I think if sandbagging was as prominent as some believe it to be, I don't think the overall record would be 4 wins to 3.

Comment

Again Jeff, if you are a 15 you should not be playing 0-5 guy.

The truth here guys that nobody wants to say so I will is that because the Ottawa side does not field what you guys consider as a lower handicapped team, you guys have whopped us the last 2 events, that if on an equal playing field would not happen, so the current handicapping system is not leveling the playing field it is heavily favouring your side, so as expected it is your side saying it is all good as it is.
            BIG MOY GOLF...POWERED BY SNICKERS
            Member Century Club...Osprey Valley May 20, 2010...108 holes
            There is no next year...signed Leaf fan

Comment

The truth here guys that nobody wants to say so I will is that because the Ottawa side does not field what you guys consider as a lower handicapped team, you guys have whopped us the last 2 events, that if on an equal playing field would not happen, so the current handicapping system is not leveling the playing field it is heavily favouring your side, so as expected it is your side saying it is all good as it is.

What about the two previous years before that? TGN had it wrapped after day 1 both years...

Comment

perhaps, but even getting one stroke from someone in b-flight will have the same result. Based on what I have seen in the past with the different caps between the 2 teams it will be impossible to not have all A's playing A's, B's playing B's, etc.

Comment

Just rank the players 1-16 and have one play one, two vs two and hope there isn't too much of a handicap gap.

Comment

Make sure your captain does not make a match that puts somebody in that position.

If guys don't want to play under what is proposed then please don't. We will have a full team.
                    Seems to be difficult to understand this idea. These guys just want to argue instead of find solutions...
                    Epic 10.5 - Elements
                    Epic 3 wood - Elements
                    Mizuno JPX900 -22* Veylix Rome 988X
                    King MB - Recoil Prototype
                    Fourteen - 52/56/60PM -Recoil Prototype
                    Lamb Allendale
                    https://www.instagram.com/makerofputts/

Comment

Originally posted by pix40 View Post
                      Seems to be difficult to understand this idea. These guys just want to argue instead of find solutions...

Mike, of course you guys like this idea. Your team has always been stronger, player to player. We understand the idea but don't really like it. As for solutions, I have offered two, so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
                        Mike, of course you guys like this idea. Your team has always been stronger, player to player. We understand the idea but don't really like it. As for solutions, I have offered two, so far.
                        I just reread the thread.. didn't see any.

My suggestion tighten up thr cap spread.. but I stand behind gerry ..
                        Epic 10.5 - Elements
                        Epic 3 wood - Elements
                        Mizuno JPX900 -22* Veylix Rome 988X
                        King MB - Recoil Prototype
                        Fourteen - 52/56/60PM -Recoil Prototype
                        Lamb Allendale
                        https://www.instagram.com/makerofputts/

Comment

I just reread the thread.. didn't see any.

My suggestion tighten up thr cap spread.. but I stand behind gerry ..

Either rank the players 1-16 and you play your equivalent (and hope there isn't a large gap), like intersectionals here in Ottawa.

Or split into 4 groups of 4 (based on cap) and you play someone in that group at full strokes.

Comment

On a side note, I think too much focus is being put on individual scores and not outcomes of matches.

If one team won 16-0 but all matches were won 1 up, I'd say that was a well played, close event. So what if a guy had a career round. If he only won 1 or 2 up, it was still a great match.

Comment

No one is trying to argue here, discuss is a better term. In fact we are all looking for solutions. I am a fan of the GAO index and can't see why people (mostly OG'ers it would seem) would object to spending $30 on this considering how much we all spend on golf, equipment and this weekend alone. it's a drop in the bucket.

Comment

No one is trying to argue here, discuss is a better term. In fact we are all looking for solutions. I am a fan of the GAO index and can't see why people (mostly OG'ers it would seem) would object to spending $30 on this considering how much we all spend on golf, equipment and this weekend alone. it's a drop in the bucket.

Its the fact I wouldn't use it for any other purpose than this event. I only play recreationally now, so I use free handicapping software. And in the past, it has been accepted from any handicap source.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X