The real cause of slow play isn't what you think

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The real cause of slow play isn't what you think

The pros and TV announcers are the biggest problem

Most pros play in 3 somes 4 hours minimum - They should be required to play in 3 hours maximum

The TV announcers saying things like he should start all over again and take his time go thru that preshot routine and only hit when they are ready.

They should be saying things like I wish they would pick up the pace hurry up and hit the ball

Remember what is seen and heard on TV is what most golfer try to play like.

Also when u hit double par please pick up and move on.

Just my 2 cents please dont shot the messenger

Comment

1. lining up a one foot putt
      2. not playing ready golf
      3. leaving cart on wrong side of green
      4. Waiting in the cart until player plays and then driving to another ball
      5. Cart girls

All of these are reasons for slow play and there are hundreds more.

So if we move higher handicaps to different tees are we also going to ban the cart girls. Why not make it a rule you cant talk to the cart girl unless you have a 12 handicap or less

SLOW PLAY IS ETIQUETTE if you took a look at the reasons for slow play there are hundreds of different ones depending on individual golfers. Each course needs marshalls and then the marshalls need to speed up play. Courses need to put up signage saying slow play will be penalized and what the consequences are. Golf should be a four hour game or faster no matter the day , the number of golfers or any other reason.
      Lelyflamingo

Comment

There's a time and place for it. The girls are poorly trained.

You see them taking forever with a sale mid fairway. 3 guys are already lining up putts when the drinker is stalling and flirting while he buys a round.

That should be handled on the next tee block AT ALL TIMES. Finish the hole, then you can buy beers while your buddies hit.

Originally posted by lelyflamingo View Post
        5. Cart girls

So if we move higher handicaps to different tees are we also going to ban the cart girls. Why not make it a rule you cant talk to the cart girl unless you have a 12 handicap or less

SLOW PLAY IS ETIQUETTE if you took a look at the reasons for slow play there are hundreds of different ones depending on individual golfers. Each course needs marshalls and then the marshalls need to speed up play. Courses need to put up signage saying slow play will be penalized and what the consequences are. Golf should be a four hour game or faster no matter the day , the number of golfers or any other reason.

Comment

Originally posted by lelyflamingo View Post
          5. Cart girls

I'd say this and just generally lollygagging on the course - getting to you ball, in between holes, etc. You don't need to rush but I've played with some people who are always just slow no matter which way you cut it. Once was in a touranment so we had to respect turns, honours, etc. and he was always the last to arrive.
          MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by muskoka111 View Post
            The pros and TV announcers are the biggest problem

Most pros play in 3 somes 4 hours minimum - They should be required to play in 3 hours maximum

The TV announcers saying things like he should start all over again and take his time go thru that preshot routine and only hit when they are ready.

They should be saying things like I wish they would pick up the pace hurry up and hit the ball

Remember what is seen and heard on TV is what most golfer try to play like.

Also when u hit double par please pick up and move on.

Just my 2 cents please dont shot the messenger
            The average PGA round takes between 4 and 5 hrs, and that is in twosomes. PGA pros would always exceed 5 hours if they played in 4 somes like us.
            Often the first group of 2 out will play in under 4 hrs.
            "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
              The average PGA round takes between 4 and 5 hrs, and that is in twosomes. PGA pros would always exceed 5 hours if they played in 4 somes like us.
              Often the first group of 2 out will play in under 4 hrs.
              and just think most guys are only taking around 70 shots, with very few lost balls, looking in the woods, fescue, etc. and have a caddy tending the pin and looking after their clubs. It should really go much faster.
              MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

lay the blame on $349 putters that can't handle greens less than 11 on the stimp.
                things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

A timely article posted on golfdigest.com this afternoon ...

Comment

Courses should just charge by the hour (or half hour). Say $10 per half hour.

Comment

Originally posted by hackerhare View Post
                      Courses should just charge by the hour (or half hour). Say $10 per half hour.
                      Sir I think you just solved it...charging after the round and I can imagine a lot more coming in under 4 hours...
                      What's in the bag...

Taylormade R1 | Oban Kiyoshi White
                      Tour Edge Exotics CB4 13* | Aldila RIP Alpha
                      Adams Pro Black 20* | Accra HX105 M4
                      Adams Pro Black 23* | Accra HX105 M4
                      Nike Machspeed Forged 5-PW | NS Pro 950
                      Ping Tour S 52/58* | KBS Tour Wedge Flex
                      Scotty Cameron JYD Fastback

Comment

1) Next to nobody knows the proper way to play through a slower group.
                        2)The slower group has no idea how to let the faster group through

Comment

Originally posted by lilwildhorse View Post
                          Sir I think you just solved it...charging after the round and I can imagine a lot more coming in under 4 hours...
                          I dont think this would help.

Charge $20 an hour lets say, the 4 somes at 9:00am , 9:08 and 9:16 all say, ok lets spend $100 today and play in 5 hours. Everybody on the course behind them will be paying the same or more.

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                            I dont think this would help.

Charge $20 an hour lets say, the 4 somes at 9:00am , 9:08 and 9:16 all say, ok lets spend $100 today and play in 5 hours. Everybody on the course behind them will be paying the same or more.
                            Agreed.

That "pay by the hour" kind of rate would work best if everyone gets to play on a different course.

I also think there is a rather sizable contingent of golfer who would gladly pay an extra $20 to be "allowed" to play at a 5-hour pace. There are a ton of guys who struggle to get a pass from the wife and kids for a half-day away. For them, they want to spend an extra hour out on the course with their buds, smoking cigars, hitting on cart girls, making bad jokes, swilling down beers...

They may not play all that often, but they are in big enough numbers that you can end up behind a fresh group of them every weekend...
                            "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                            ...Iggy

Comment

Practice swings! Often multilple. Do overs. Any extra swings are a big problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Onin3 View Post
                                Practice swings! Often multilple. Do overs. Any extra swings are a big problem.
                                I think more people should emulate Kevin Na

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X