Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum  

Go Back   Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum > Golf Discussion Forum > The Local Pub
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:25 AM   #1
Blassy
Club Pro

Default best route to drive to Florida

So - haven't driven there since university. For an end of November drive, what's the best route to take?
Irons: Too many but AP2 for now
Wedges: Lots
Putter: A016836
Blassy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 11:04 AM   #2
hannah
Toronto Ryder Cup Member

Default Re: best route to drive to Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blassy View Post
So - haven't driven there since university. For an end of November drive, what's the best route to take?
We go every Xmas, the fastest way is through Buffalo, a little more traffic, you don't want to go through the Mountains at night or early morning for the risk of fog or snow, you should be ok for not running into any snow storms but you can never count on that.

The longer and scenic way is through Windsor, less chance of snow and a few hrs more, we will most likely go through Buffalo again as it was faster and is very pretty going through the Mts last yr, just time your driving,

Through Buffalo you also need to time your stops as there are a lot less places to gas up and to sleep, through the Windsor way you will never be without a gas station, hotels or food as they are all over the place.

Ping i25 10.5 / ALD NV 44 Magnum
Adams Super LS Hybrids 19*/22* Accra Iwood 85R
Miura CB57 LTD. Ed. 5 - PW KBS Soft Stepped
Taylor-Made TP Wedges, 52* 56* 60* KBS Tour V
Ping TR Scottsdale / Superstroke Slim 1.0
Sun Mt. H2NO Stand Bag
Clicgear 3.5 Cart
Leupold GX-3i

Member of Sleepy Hollow G&C Club
hannah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 11:38 AM   #3
goshawk
Toronto Ryder Cup Member

I've driven all 3 ways (Windsor, Buffalo and Gananoque) and I enjoyed the trip through Windsor the most. Going straight down I-75 to Tampa was a good drive with little to no construction either time I've been and the mountains were a non-issue. Although I've only done it in the spring, I wouldn't imagine the roads wouldn't be a problem when you go. And there are so many places to stop for food and lodging!
Last year I made the trip in 18 hours from front door to my daughter's place. Most of it was the first day, driving to Knoxville before stopping for the night. I thought going through the middle of Atlanta early (8:00) on a Tuesday morning would be a nightmare, but it was less congested than 401 traffic and it kept moving at 35mph+. Once I crossed I-20 in downtown Atlanta, it was back to normal highway speed.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 11:51 AM   #4
Blassy
Club Pro

thanks.
Live in Niagara so Buffalo is certainly preferable.
It's going to be myself, wife and our 1 year old so trying to space it out over 3 days of driving. Figure 6 hours or so of driving each day lands us aroound west virginia and north carolina so hoping to find some Ok places to stay as those seem to be major hubs.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:08 PM   #5
Big Shooter
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah View Post
We go every Xmas, the fastest way is through Buffalo, a little more traffic, you don't want to go through the Mountains at night or early morning for the risk of DEER, you should be ok for not running into any snow storms but you can never count on that.

The longer and scenic way is through Windsor, less chance of snow and a few hrs more, we will most likely go through Buffalo again as it was faster and is very pretty going through the Mts last yr, just time your driving,

Through Buffalo you also need to time your stops as there are a lot less places to gas up and to sleep, through the Windsor way you will never be without a gas station, hotels or food as they are all over the place.
Fixed that for ya for the REAL THREAT!!
Big Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 01:02 PM   #6
hannah
Toronto Ryder Cup Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shooter View Post
Fixed that for ya for the REAL THREAT!!
We saw more snow than deer!!! but they certainly are a real threat thats for sure, I like going through buffalo as it really cuts off a # of hrs off the driving

Sun Mt. H2NO Stand Bag
Clicgear 3.5 Cart
Leupold GX-3i

Old Nov 1, 2012, 01:25 PM   #7
Frorose
Tour Pro

We drive the Virginia route every year. Based on the wanky weather so far this fall I think we will be taking I-75 this year.

Three days is a long time for driving down. I realize we are little crazy and do the drive non stop but even when the kids were babies there was only one year we did it with a stop. (and mainly because the Mr. and I were both struck with projectile nausea...thanks kids) Why not split it into two days vs three?

I actually found it easier to drive non stop when the kids were younger. A little bit of baby gravol and out like lights. Now the four of them are kind of annoying. (kidding...sort of)

Depending on how we feel we may do it in two days this year with a stop in and around Knoxville if we take i-75 or Charlotte if we do -95 route.
Frorose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 01:48 PM   #8
hannah
Toronto Ryder Cup Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frorose View Post
We drive the Virginia route every year. Based on the wanky weather so far this fall I think we will be taking I-75 this year.

Three days is a long time for driving down. I realize we are little crazy and do the drive non stop but even when the kids were babies there was only one year we did it with a stop. (and mainly because the Mr. and I were both struck with projectile nausea...thanks kids) Why not split it into two days vs three?

I actually found it easier to drive non stop when the kids were younger. A little bit of baby gravol and out like lights. Now the four of them are kind of annoying. (kidding...sort of)

Depending on how we feel we may do it in two days this year with a stop in and around Knoxville if we take i-75 or Charlotte if we do -95 route.
We leave about 7am Sat. morning and stop around 11pm with reservations we make ahead of time, we then get in hollywood late on Sunday around supper time, then I flake out around the pool for a few hrs the next day and golf in the pm if weather is permitting

Sun Mt. H2NO Stand Bag
Clicgear 3.5 Cart
Leupold GX-3i

Old Nov 1, 2012, 01:56 PM   #9
Big Shooter
Tour Pro

Quote:
I realize we are little crazy and do the drive non stop but even when the kids were babies there was only one year we did it with a stop. (and mainly because the Mr. and I were both struck with projectile nausea...
Cheap Motel's have a cure for that!!!
Big Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:14 PM   #10
Frorose
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shooter View Post
Cheap Motel's have a cure for that!!!

! goof

Hannah. Our best time driving has been 21 hours door to door from 'Sauga to Spring Hill (about a half hour north of Tampa) We usually leave around 2-3 am. That gets us through the mountains in daylight. Arrive at the folks around 10-midnight (depending on whether any speeding tickets have been obtained) We get a good sleep and are ready to go in the am.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:37 PM   #11
hannah
Toronto Ryder Cup Member

Quote:
! goof

Hannah. Our best time driving has been 21 hours door to door from 'Sauga to Spring Hill (about a half hour north of Tampa) We usually leave around 2-3 am. That gets us through the mountains in daylight. Arrive at the folks around 10-midnight (depending on whether any speeding tickets have been obtained) We get a good sleep and are ready to go in the am.
That's about what it takes us, we stop a few times to stretch and mommy makes a lunch so we don't stop till supper time, a long drive but I don't like to fly

Sun Mt. H2NO Stand Bag
Clicgear 3.5 Cart
Leupold GX-3i

Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:59 PM   #12
racmbs
Toronto Ryder Cup Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah View Post
That's about what it takes us, we stop a few times to stretch and kick the family out of my car so I can wash it. It's a ritual for me to stop and have my car detailed in each state, have to keep the virgin white nice and shiny!!!
Fixed....

racmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:12 PM   #13
Samick
Tour Pro

Quote:

We have also did both routes...and stopped exactpy where you mentioned.

Made the trek from Orlando to Fergus in one stretch before, 19.5hrs. Wouldnt want to do that again...mind you II drove all the way myself.
Samick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 05:05 PM   #14
goshawk
Toronto Ryder Cup Member

Whoops....made a mistake. When I drove down I-75 last year I stopped for the night just north of Chattanooga. Very nice Best Western with a Waffle House 100 yards away for breakfast in the morning. I got a late start from here and didn't get there until close to midnight, but it was worth the effort (I had made reservations before leaving here). I left the Waffle House around 7:30 and I got to my daughter's place in south Tampa by 5pm. All very easy driving with no rushing.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 05:13 PM   #15
Bellyhungry
Tour Pro

I did the Toronto to Florida (Naples) drive this past Spring. I went with a couple who make the drive twice a year.

We went through Buffalo-i90-Erie-i79-19-i77-i95. Took us two days and about 22 hours in the car.

Last edited by Bellyhungry; Nov 1, 2012 at 05:19 PM.
Bellyhungry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 05:19 PM   #16
tickyboy
Tour Pro

Along Interstate-75 is a must buy if you're heading down through Windsor... covers every exit, alternate roads, attactions...
SuperHybrid 19
T-Zoid Pro-II 4-PW
MPT4 52
MPT11 56
MPT11 60
Futura
tickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 05:30 PM   #17
nomullies
Club Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellyhungry View Post
I did the Toronto to Florida (Naples) drive this past Spring. I went with a couple who make the drive twice a year.

We went through Buffalo-i90-Erie-i79-19-i77-i95. Took us two days and about 22 hours in the car.
This route shorter but 75 has much more humanity. I can live with a couple more hours driving as long as I have more places to stop along the way. For us it was 22 hours from Missingsauga to Treasure Island, which is west of Tampa. Did this many times.

Last edited by nomullies; Nov 2, 2012 at 04:57 PM.
nomullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 05:41 PM   #18
Frorose
Tour Pro

The other thing to consider on the Buffalo-Virginia routing is if an accident happens through the mountain passes traffic will be a nightmare. We got stuck two years ago behind an accident. We must have been sitting there for about 3 hours not moving. No exit anywhere nearby. It was brutal.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 06:20 PM   #19
crunch27
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshawk View Post
I've driven all 3 ways (Windsor, Buffalo and Gananoque) and I enjoyed the trip through Windsor the most. Going straight down I-75 to Tampa was a good drive with little to no construction either time I've been and the mountains were a non-issue. Although I've only done it in the spring, I wouldn't imagine the roads wouldn't be a problem when you go. And there are so many places to stop for food and lodging!
Last year I made the trip in 18 hours from front door to my daughter's place. Most of it was the first day, driving to Knoxville before stopping for the night. I thought going through the middle of Atlanta early (8:00) on a Tuesday morning would be a nightmare, but it was less congested than 401 traffic and it kept moving at 35mph+. Once I crossed I-20 in downtown Atlanta, it was back to normal highway speed.
I don't know. I live closer to Windsor, but prefer the Buffalo route. I find the traffic very heavy on I-75 and too many trucks. The drive thru Erie, Pittsburgh, Hwy 19, I-77, Charlotte......is a lot more pleasant and relaxing. Plus, the border at Detroit is always a hassle for some reason. Buffalo is a breeze.
(Ping Rapture 18* Hybrid, Aldila VS Proto 80-S)
Ping Rapture 21*, 24* Hybrids, Aldila VS Proto 80-S
Ping S56 Irons, 5 to PW, KBS-S
Ping Tour-S, 52/12* and 58/10*, KBS-S
Ping 35" Nome 355 Putter
Bridgestone B300-RX Tour
Ping "Latitude" Carry/Stand Bag
Sun Mountain "Front 9" Cart Bag
PowaCaddy "Classic" Electric Cart
Nikon Laser 500G Rangefinder
crunch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 06:37 PM   #20
hackerhare
Tour Pro

Drove Richmond Hill to Fort Myers last year, on the I-75 route. On the way down, one overnight at Atlanta. On the way back, two overnights, in Atlanta and Toledo. Did it with the wifey, two kids (2 and 4) and a nanny. Actual driving time is around 23 hours, +/-. Left at around midnight, crossed the border at 3:30 am, arrived in Atlanta at around 4 pm local time. The only things to watch out for: traffic jams around Atlanta, construction on I75, and highway patrols in georgia.
hackerhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 11:06 PM   #21
LastTycoon
Club Pro

We did the Buffalo route twice, we got snow in the mountains the second year and it made it a tough drive at night and have gone I-75, Windsor, the last 5 times at Christmas.
I-75 is a better choice if there is any kind of weather, rain, snow.

Also, about 2 years ago there was a big accident and I was able to use the GPS and run paralell to the Interstate for about 50 miles and get out of the traffic jam.

We usually drive straight through, about 21-22 hours to Tarpon Springs, just NW of Tampa.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:07 AM   #22
Bern
Tour Pro

The best route involves going to over 35,000 ft.
Ping S57 4-pw rifle 6.0
Ping Tour 50-12,54-10,58-10 rifle 6.0
Odyssey Pro series #4
Bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:30 AM   #23
ceegarz
Duffer

IMHO - drive to Buffalo get on a plane - save yourself the stress its a bit more in cash
ceegarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:44 AM   #24
Blassy
Club Pro

wish I could fly because I would - will be there for over 3 months so need my car.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 03:30 AM   #25
Pengyo
Low Handicapper

I always drive down through Buffalo. Make sure you hit a stretch called US-19 in The Virginias. It's smaller rural highway but a good short cut that saves a lot of time. Many GPSs like Garmins points to the route. One year I missed going on that route and it took a couple extra hours.

Hoofer2 Bag :
Driver : TM RBZ 10.5 XCON6
3-wood : Ping Rapture V2 16 Javln
Hybrid : Ping G5 19 TFC100H
4-W : Ping i5 CS-Lite Cushin
Wedge(s) : Ping iWedge 54/60 CS-Lite
Putter : Ping Scottsdale Anser BeNi

Ping 4 Series Bag :
Driver : Titleist 907D2 9.5 Diamana
4-wood : Ping G15 17 Serrano
3-W : Ping i3+ Combo Z-Z65
Wedge(s) : Ping Tour 52 Z-Z65 & Titleist Vokey Chrome 58.08 Dynamic Gold