Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum  

Go Back   Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum > Golf Discussion Forum > Rules and Etiquette
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old Oct 2, 2004, 09:52 AM   #1
Ego Woods
Tour Pro

Default Playing with Angry Playing Partners

Most of you had probably had your own fiery moments on the golf course when things just don't seem that they're working out for you...I try to control my rage when this happens but there maybe the odd times when it's just truly bad and I may kill the ground with my club.....but what do you do with those playing partners that consistently seem to get angry..and throw their club or throw their balls in frustration?

I don't say much, but sometimes it's bad enough that it'll affect my game...I don't know why this is....probably because I know that somebody else is not having too much fun...and you really can't talk casually with him or other players when this person is in this funk.....lemme know ur thoughts!
Old Oct 2, 2004, 10:26 AM   #2
Stablefordvet
High Handicapper

I am a big culprit of hyper fits....Firstly, I do like to apoligize to my friends that have to endure my rage and I never had the intention to make the game less enjoyable for them. There is another reason why someone would get mad but i'll let you GUYS figure that out.
Stablefordvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 04:21 PM   #3
Focker Singh
Tour Pro

Stableford,
Could you please tell us? I'm not quite sure what it is...maybe its your PMS? But one can't have PMS every 7 days right? hmmm...anyways...I find it quite entertaining when someone takes a hissy fit...sort of like watching John McEnroe play tennis back in the days...as long as they don't endanger anyone else and respect the golf course I think its fine to take out some frustration.
Focker Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 10:11 AM   #4
Mok
Tournament Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ego Woods
Most of you had probably had your own fiery moments on the golf course when things just don't seem that they're working out for you...I try to control my rage when this happens but there maybe the odd times when it's just truly bad and I may kill the ground with my club.....but what do you do with those playing partners that consistently seem to get angry..and throw their club or throw their balls in frustration?

I don't say much, but sometimes it's bad enough that it'll affect my game...I don't know why this is....probably because I know that somebody else is not having too much fun...and you really can't talk casually with him or other players when this person is in this funk.....lemme know ur thoughts!
I think the situation depends, if you are a good buddy, then you can make some jokes and try to calm them down, if they are strangers/co-workers/boss I'd stay out of their way...
Old Oct 3, 2004, 10:41 PM   #5
Ems
Tour Pro

I agree with Mok, depends on how close you are to the person. Of course, I never had to play with anyone with a bad temper so can't say I know how awkward it would be. I'd probably tease the person after and let them know I'm scared to play with them because they're endangering my life with their flying clubs... and it won't happen again!

Are you guys referring to someone specifically??
Ems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 06:52 PM   #6
Stablefordvet
High Handicapper

Ems, I'm sure you know who.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 10:37 PM   #7
Queen of the Beach
Tour Pro

Angry Anger Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker Singh
Stableford,
Could you please tell us? I'm not quite sure what it is...maybe its your PMS? But one can't have PMS every 7 days right? hmmm...anyways...I find it quite entertaining when someone takes a hissy fit...sort of like watching John McEnroe play tennis back in the days...as long as they don't endanger anyone else and respect the golf course I think its fine to take out some frustration.
I've never played with guys that throw hissy fits. hmm but maybe that's because I'm beating them to it. haha although I don't take a hissy fit. I know that I can get really frustrated on a bad day. I've even been known to throw my driver on the ground after teeing off. Don't worry no one or thing was broken! hmm do I need new clubs, a coach, or are Anger management classes in order.
Thank you to all our members and sponsors for your continued support.
Queen of the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2004, 10:44 PM   #8
Queen of the Beach
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stablefordvet
Ems, I'm sure you know who.
SFV I guess it's too late for me to start an AGA group (Angry Golfers Annonymous)? So do you get mad on the course? Is there anything you do to calm down or refocus?
Old Oct 7, 2004, 07:05 PM   #9
Stablefordvet
High Handicapper

Hmm...AGA huh? I think that's a great idea QB! When I'm caught in an anger rut I try to breakdown my swing and pinpoint what I'm doing wrong. Unlike the pros, It takes me a while before I get my swing back. Hopefully that makes sense.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 08:23 PM   #10
Focker Singh
Tour Pro

Talking

Unfortunately for Stableford, it takes him about 5 rounds to figure out what is wrong....hehe...
Old Oct 9, 2004, 11:20 AM   #11
Queen of the Beach
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stablefordvet
Hmm...AGA huh? I think that's a great idea QB! When I'm caught in an anger rut I try to breakdown my swing and pinpoint what I'm doing wrong. Unlike the pros, It takes me a while before I get my swing back. Hopefully that makes sense.
SFV...yeah that makes sense. As a beginner golfer I find myself getting vvery frustrated after 3 bad holes in a row. I try to take it easy but it's really hard when you thought you improved something from the last game and then you find your swing is all screwed up again.

Focker...are you saying you've never been stuck in a rut with a couple bad rounds in a row? hmm can anyone vouch for this?
Old Oct 9, 2004, 11:51 AM   #12
Ego Woods
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of the Beach
SFV...yeah that makes sense. As a beginner golfer I find myself getting vvery frustrated after 3 bad holes in a row. I try to take it easy but it's really hard when you thought you improved something from the last game and then you find your swing is all screwed up again.
I always find the more frustrated I get at the game, the more everything seems to fall apart in my game.......this is a very unforgiving game and only when I try and relax myself does my game start coming back to where I want it to be......
Old Oct 11, 2004, 04:40 PM   #13
Focker Singh
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of the Beach

Focker...are you saying you've never been stuck in a rut with a couple bad rounds in a row? hmm can anyone vouch for this?
QB,
I was stuck in a rut for more than a couple of rounds near the beginning of this season. I shot in the high 90's and even had a round over 100. I was too very frustrated. Felt like wrapping my clubs around a tree. I was very concerned over my game and couldn't figure it out.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 06:38 PM   #14
Grass Roots Tour
Banned

Location: IN between the pink linen in Paula Creamer's king size bed.
Default Re: Playing with Angry Playing Partners

There was a club tosser in my regular foursome. "WAS" being the opperative word. If I have to duck your clubs every three holes (sept for that one good round a year you stumble upon) theres a good chance you're not gonna get the nod to play with us again next week. In the event someone gets hit by your indiscretion.... what then? Take a chill pill, try and remember you payed good money to be out golfing and so did the rest of us.
Grass Roots Tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 11:23 PM   #15
malarky
Mid Handicapper

Did you all see the movie "Sideways"? I thought great filmmaking, great acting, but what a horribly depressing story.

I digress ... I laughed so hard during the golf course scene when the group behind hits into the main characters. I really related to the reaction!
malarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 11:30 AM   #16
Golftool
Club Pro

This has somthing to do with the "sideways" scene where the group behind is hitting into you.

I was playing a round with my brothers and right from the beginning there was a guy in the group behind us that did'nt wait for us to move ahead. I'm lining up my approach, addressing the ball, about to swing when "whoosh" a ball flies within 2 feet of my head - i look back & dude just waves to me. O.K - he didn't think it would carry that far.

2 holes later - same thing - no "fore" just a wave for my brother this time.

2 holes later - on the green about to line up my put - looking at the angles, slope etc. "zing" - ever so close to my ear - WELL I LOST IT!!!!

I went to my bag, my brothers also - we grabbed the crappy balls (top flite etc.) we find and keep for chipping at home and the three of us proceeded to fire several balls right back at them!!!!

When buddy came to the green "piszed off" that we fired back & asked where his ball went. i told him i had it in my pocket - he said he wanted it back as it was a $5 ball - i said here - and threw it in the middle of the pond.

We all looked at him & said if one more ball came within 50yds of us - we're going to throw him in the pond.

Never saw the guy for the rest of the day!!!!!!!!!
Golftool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 04:04 PM   #17
Grass Roots Tour
Banned

Good for you dude! Not that I condone either of your behavior but some people just don't get the message until you beat them about the head with it. I wish everyone with THAT mantality would just quit the game of golf alltogether! We really don't need them out there screwing up our days. We could use the space on our courses too. Take 200,000 or so idiots off our fairways and prices would plumit and members would be sought after again like the old days. Service would find its way out of the woodwork again. Whoops...ranting, sorry.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 04:17 PM   #18
ISuck@Golf
Duffer

Talking Re: Playing with Angry Playing Partners

Unfortunately, I'm the guy trying to chuck my bag, clubs, golf balls, twigs and everything else I can find into the water when I play. Doesn't make for good company but I've been getting better ... well at least I think so!

As the name states, I've come to the realization that I'm not good at golf - not that I don't try nor have I given up but I'm not going to fool myself. If I get out to a course once every 4 to 6 weeks during our 'very long' summer season in Toronto, I can't be getting mad at myself for driving the ball into the next fairway.

My advice is - be realistic. Know who you are and what you're capable of. This will help you keep focus and hit the shots you know you can.

ISuck@Golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 08:45 PM   #19
Ems
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by malarky
Did you all see the movie "Sideways"? I thought great filmmaking, great acting, but what a horribly depressing story.

I digress ... I laughed so hard during the golf course scene when the group behind hits into the main characters. I really related to the reaction!
I tried to start a thread on this movie. I thought the golf scene was so funny too.

http://www.torontogolfnuts.com/showthread.php?t=694
Old Mar 2, 2005, 08:46 PM   #20
Ems
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golftool
This has somthing to do with the "sideways" scene where the group behind is hitting into you.

I was playing a round with my brothers and right from the beginning there was a guy in the group behind us that did'nt wait for us to move ahead. I'm lining up my approach, addressing the ball, about to swing when "whoosh" a ball flies within 2 feet of my head - i look back & dude just waves to me. O.K - he didn't think it would carry that far.

2 holes later - same thing - no "fore" just a wave for my brother this time.

2 holes later - on the green about to line up my put - looking at the angles, slope etc. "zing" - ever so close to my ear - WELL I LOST IT!!!!

I went to my bag, my brothers also - we grabbed the crappy balls (top flite etc.) we find and keep for chipping at home and the three of us proceeded to fire several balls right back at them!!!!

When buddy came to the green "piszed off" that we fired back & asked where his ball went. i told him i had it in my pocket - he said he wanted it back as it was a $5 ball - i said here - and threw it in the middle of the pond.

We all looked at him & said if one more ball came within 50yds of us - we're going to throw him in the pond.

Never saw the guy for the rest of the day!!!!!!!!!
That's exactly what I would have done!
Old Mar 2, 2005, 08:59 PM   #21
Grass Roots Tour
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ems
That's exactly what I would have done!
Me 2 man. Get these type of people back on they're sofa watching wrestling or something. Neanderthals don't belong on the fairways, stay home and get drunk if ya half to.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 09:40 AM   #22
el tigre
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Roots Tour
Me 2 man. Get these type of people back on they're sofa watching wrestling or something. Neanderthals don't belong on the fairways, stay home and get drunk if ya half to.
...and if you had actually hit one of them and caused serious injury, that would be OK then?

I understand the frustration, but this behaviour is no better that his - sorry, but the lame excuse of "he started it" just doesn't cut it. Purposely hitting a golf ball at someone should NEVER be an option - EVER.

Why not bring the behavior to the attention of the marshal or course management at the clubhouse? Why not simply confront the person WITHOUT firing golf balls at them? Even tossing their golf balls in the pond is a better way to get your message across. Getting hit with a golf ball can cause serious damage - which is why they need to be told to stop it and you need to refrain from stooping to the same behaviour.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 11:15 AM   #23
Golftool
Club Pro

el tigre - you are correct - what we did should not have happened. We were extremely frustrated at this individual right from the beginning. Instead of concentrating on the game and enjoying our surroundings - we were left to look over our shoulder CONSTANTLY!.

I have been hit by people in the past - and it sure does'nt tickle!!! I guess having been through it before i am more weary than most & to get hit with a warning is a lot more acceptable than no warning at all - ever!

Not knowing the rules & etiquette is no excuse! - you don't swing a baseball bat at a hockey game - just as you dont fire balls at the players in front of you - without so much as a "fore". And to do it 3 times!!!!!! Come on !!!

There wasn't a marshall to be seen anywhere - never saw one ALL DAY! What else were we supposed to do???

I suppose firing back wasn't the smartest thing to do - next time will only throw the ball in the pond - along with his bag & clubs!
Golftool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 11:39 AM   #24
Mule56
Greenskeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ego Woods
I use to be this person when I was younger. I gave the game up at 15 because the only person that would tolerate me was my dad. His response to my temper was a stern lecture.
When I took the game up again in my mid 30's. The "I should be better then this attitude" was still there. Snapped a putter I had bought two hours earlier into a tree. Two years late I quit again.
Since I took the game up again I have had a maturing, if you could call it that, which I could not reach during my youthful rebel days. The game to me is fun first. If I do well on certain day, it's a bonus. I don't play or practice 7 days a week (my wife will argue this in 3 months) so I have accepted that I'm not going to bet the top five in the world, plus a couple more hundred thousand. My saying today is better than being at work and I walk on.
Mule
Hybrids - Titleist 910 H w/Diamana Kal'li
Irons - Wilson FG Tour V2 w/KBS Tours
Wedges - Wilson FG Tours w/TT DG SPinners
Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport
MEMBER OF THE 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!
Mule56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 04:38 PM   #25
Grass Roots Tour
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by el tigre
...and if you had actually hit one of them and caused serious injury, that would be OK then?

I understand the frustration, but this behaviour is no better that his - sorry, but the lame excuse of "he started it" just doesn't cut it. Purposely hitting a golf ball at someone should NEVER be an option - EVER.

Why not bring the behavior to the attention of the marshal or course management at the clubhouse? Why not simply confront the person WITHOUT firing golf balls at them? Even tossing their golf balls in the pond is a better way to get your message across. Getting hit with a golf ball can cause serious damage - which is why they need to be told to stop it and you need to refrain from stooping to the same behaviour.
Agreed.

Sometimes anger isn't your friend and the passion of a golf ball whizzing past your head three times in one round will cause a meltdown in the "sensability" portion of your brain. **Experience talking**

Tags
angry, partners, playing