What is a draw biased club really?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a draw biased club really?

Toe weighted?

I recall reading that it sets up with a closed face but doesn't the face alignment depend entirely on the user? ie. rotate the handle and the face can open or close.

Let's take offset out of the equation for the purpose of this question for the moment.

Re: What is a draw biased club really?

If you take offset out of it as you stated, it's mainly heel weighting.

With the Titleist 913D's, aside from deep face (D3) and shallow face (D2), the only other difference is the D2 has its centre of gravity closer to the heel... offering a (minor) draw bias.

As for the user gripping the club at address, some game improvement drivers' sole design, allow the club to (naturally) sit a little "closed"... helping the golfer more consistently square the face at impact.
    M1 10.5°, M2 16.5° HZRDUS Yellow 76; 910H 17° Kiyoshi Purple 100
    716MB 3:P, SM6 54°.10°S, WW 60°.06°K DGTI AMT; Futura X5; TP X

Comment

I would summarize it as any club that assists the user with squaring the face at impact. My driver has 10% of the heads weight in the heel to assist with the rotation. Other offset clubs give the user more time to close the face.

Toe weighting would make the toe heavier and lag behind the heel assisting with keeping the face open. Or just not closing too much.
      Bag: PING Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Floral
      Driver: TM SIM2 MAX @ 10.5*
      Wood: TM SIM2 MAX @ 15*
      Hybrids: TM SIM2 22*
      Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW
      Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60*
      Putter: SGC WB Northwood
      Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Comment

Originally posted by jburns View Post
        I would summarize it as any club that assists the user with squaring the face at impact. My driver has 10% of the heads weight in the heel to assist with the rotation. Other offset clubs give the user more time to close the face.

Toe weighting would make the toe heavier and lag behind the heel assisting with keeping the face open. Or just not closing too much.
        I think it has more to do with the factor of "gear effect". I won't detail it here, because it's complicated, but needless to say, having more weight of the club toward to heel causes draw spin due to the gear effect. Google it if you like.

It can be quite substantial, accounting for a significant amount of draw or fade bias when struck on-centre. However, it does much less for inconsistent contact and off-center strikes.
        Last edited by PlusOne; Jul 18, 2013, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
        X