Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum  

Go Back   Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum > Golf Discussion Forum > The Local Pub
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old Feb 8, 2014, 09:41 AM   #1
lipw87
Scratch Golfer

Default I lost my only car key, anyone recommend a locksmith?

It is for a VW. Anyone gone through this? I know I could call the dealer but they will be my last resort as I know they will be the most expensive and I believe it takes ~5 days to get a key, I"ve heard locksmiths can do it onsite. Any suggestions I'd appreciate it.
lipw87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2014, 09:45 AM   #2
shankuverymuch
Banned

Default Re: I lost my only car key, anyone recommend a locksmith?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipw87 View Post
It is for a VW. Anyone gone through this? I know I could call the dealer but they will be my last resort as I know they will be the most expensive and I believe it takes ~5 days to get a key, I"ve heard locksmiths can do it onsite. Any suggestions I'd appreciate it.
It depends on the type of key as to whether most locksmiths can even do it.

I learned the hard way with one car, it was much cheaper to replace the side glass.
shankuverymuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2014, 09:49 AM   #3
lipw87
Scratch Golfer

I luckily left my car door unlocked, but still.. I guess I will call around.
lipw87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2014, 09:55 AM   #4
4underthru9
Tour Pro

CAA (free) or any tow truck driver ($50) can get you in the car in about 5 seconds flat (I think those guys even have olympics for this).
Chip key that's a whole new deal, Chryslers I know go for around $125, you need your VIN; VW's I don't know.
4underthru9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2014, 10:00 AM   #5
hannah
Toronto Ryder Cup Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4underthru9 View Post
CAA (free) or any tow truck driver ($50) can get you in the car in about 5 seconds flat (I think those guys even have olympics for this).
Chip key that's a whole new deal, Chryslers I know go for around $125, you need your VIN; VW's I don't know.
He will need his V.I.N. and I.D. to order a key from V.W., it can be anywhere from $200 - $600 depending on the yr, and then they will have to program the key, if older model then he's lucky...

Titleist 910 D2 10.5* /Accra Dymatch MT70 M4
Adams Tour Issue 16*/Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75S
Miizuno MP CLK 23*/Fubuki R

Miura CB57 LTD. Ed. 5 - PW KBS Soft Stepped
Taylor-Made TP Wedges, 52* 56* 60* KBS Tour V
Ping TR Scottsdale / Superstroke Slim 1.0
Sun Mt. H2NO Stand Bag
Clicgear 3.5 Cart
Leupold GX-3i

Member of Cedar Brae G&C Club
hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2014, 11:15 AM   #6
cuppa
Club Pro

sent you a PM with a name and number of a guy near Finch and the 404
cuppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2014, 12:48 PM   #7
Bern
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah View Post
He will need his V.I.N. and I.D. to order a key from V.W., it can be anywhere from $200 - $600 depending on the yr, and then they will have to program the key, if older model then he's lucky...
You just made me buy another key for my Passat. I've had only one for the last three years and I know I'm tempting fate.

$13 bucks on ebay is good insurance
Ping S57 4-pw rifle 6.0
Ping Tour 50-12,54-10,58-10 rifle 6.0
Odyssey Pro series #4
Bern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2014, 01:21 PM   #8
cuppa
Club Pro

just a heads up for anyone who is looking for an additional key. I went thru this a few months ago with my 2009 Rav4 Ltd. When we bought the Rav used from a Toyota dealer we received 2 fobs but only received 1 Toyota key fob. This was important to us because the 2009 Rav4 Ltd has a push button start and a smart key fob.

To our surprise only the Toyota Fob worked to KEEP the car started, as the other fob was for the remote starter. We were not given the fobs until after the deal was finalized.

Anyhow Toyota wanted 300 plus for a 2nd fob. We were able to purchase a good one from ebay and get it programmed and have the emergency key cut by a locksmith from TO. If you have a push button start, do a bit of research before you buy a 2nd fob. Some vehicles need a fob that has never been programmed before (sometimes dealers and locksmiths just tell you that), some dealers will not try a program one that was not supplied by them, you need to match the model and the transmitter frequency of the existing fob.

Just like when you get a new ECU in your car you will need to get the new and old fob programmed. Sometimes if you have the appropriate software and tools you can program these yourselves. I bought one that had been previously used and I bought a little gadget and software to program it myself and some other options on the car, but because it was used a locksmith had to use some more sophisticated software to program it for me.

just wanted to give you some more info before anyone with a smart key fob went on a buying spree without researching
cuppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2014, 01:24 PM   #9
jefflin
Tour Pro

Sorry to hear about your lost keys. When I bought my Mazda5 back in 2007 they supplied us with 2 keys. I still felt we need a third between my wife and I. So off of ebay I bought an used fob chip key and a blank blade. I was able to install the blank blade into the fob and got it cut at a Mazda dealership. If I remember correctly I got it cut through my S/N. I then downloaded instructions on how to program the new key to my car off the internet. It was actually quite simple (ie Opening and closing my front door 3 times after turning on the car, push button on key...etc). I don't think it costed me anymore than 50 bucks which was 6x cheaper than buying a brand new one from Mazda. Not sure if it would be the same procedure with a VW.

Of course this will not solve your immediate concerns but might be a thought to consider if you want to get a second emergency key later on in the future.
Accuform PTM
SC Red X
jefflin is offline   Reply With Quote