Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum  


Go Back   Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum > Golf Discussion Forum > The Local Pub
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Jan 29, 2008, 06:44 AM   #1
sdcfan18
Club Pro
 
sdcfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 6, 2005
Location: Brantford
Posts: 729
Default Licence plate cover laws

Haven't been able to find an answer online, so I thought I would ask the fine people at TGN. Does anyone know the Ontario laws about the clear/blue/tinted licence plate covers avalaible at Canadian Tire and other auto parts stores? Are they legal or not?
__________________
sdcfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 07:06 AM   #2
Chambokl
Tour Pro
 
Chambokl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 28, 2004
Location: Kirkland Lake (Ontario)
Posts: 4,657
Default Re: Licence plate cover laws

The OPP said they were not legal. They said that you can't cover your licence plate.

I don't know why they are still selling them. I also don't know anybody that were ticketed for having one of those. I know some people got warnings..
Chambokl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 07:08 AM   #3
The Troll
Tour Pro
 
The Troll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 10, 2006
Location: Ministry of Sarcasm
Posts: 8,723
Default Re: Licence plate cover laws

Plate covers are typically illegal.

http://www.yorkregion.com/article/39904
__________________
Trollie

Don't sell me short, I'm a tremendous slouch.
The Troll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 07:27 AM   #4
davepratt
Tour Pro
 
davepratt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 5, 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,445
Default Re: Licence plate cover laws

I'm curious. Do they block the 407 cameras?
davepratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 08:29 AM   #5
golf nut
Tour Pro
 
golf nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 10, 2004
Location: Brampton
Posts: 4,167
Default Re: Licence plate cover laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepratt
I'm curious. Do they block the 407 cameras?
Nope

However if you get the special welding glass version it might work
__________________
My game is rubbish with shades of brilliance.


golf nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 10:25 AM   #6
iyell4
Tour Pro
 
iyell4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 10, 2005
Location: Markham
Posts: 2,951
Default Re: Licence plate cover laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chambokl
The OPP said they were not legal. They said that you can't cover your licence plate.

I don't know why they are still selling them. I also don't know anybody that were ticketed for having one of those. I know some people got warnings..
illegal per our Ontario HTA if it renders you plates unreadable by red light cameras, photo radar, ETR toll cameras ...

Number plates, further violations ....

No other numbers to be exposed
13. (1) No number other than that upon the number plate furnished by the Ministry shall be exposed on any part of a motor vehicle or trailer in such a position or manner as to confuse the identity of the number plate. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 13 (1).
Number plate to be kept clean
(2) Every number plate shall be kept free from dirt and obstruction and shall be affixed so that the entire number plate, including the numbers, is plainly visible at all times, and the view of the number plate shall not be obscured or obstructed by spare tires, bumper bars, any part of the vehicle, any attachments to the vehicle or the load carried. 1994, c. 27, s. 138 (7).
Obstruction prohibited
(3) The number plates shall not be obstructed by any device that prevents the entire number plates including the numbers from being accurately photographed using a photo-radar system. 1993, c. 31, s. 2 (5).
Same
(3.0.1) The number plates shall not be obstructed by any device that prevents the entire number plates including the numbers from being accurately photographed using a red light camera system. 1998, c. 38, s. 2 (1).
Same
(3.1) The number plates shall not be obstructed by any device or material that prevents the entire number plates including the numbers from being identified by an electronic toll system. 1996, c. 1, Sched. E, s. 2 (1).
Offence
(4) Every person who contravenes subsection (2), (3), (3.0.1) or (3.1) is guilty of an offence. 1993, c. 31, s. 2 (5); 1996, c. 1, Sched. E, s. 2 (2); 1998, c. 38, s. 2 (2).
__________________
PING G2 10... Callaway Steelhead 3W ... Mizuno Fli-Hi 21 ... Callaway X-14 PS ... Cleveland 588 RTG 53 & 57 ... PING Anser3 ... Maxfli Noodle ... Sun Mountain C-130
iyell4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 05:00 PM   #7
slicendice
Club Pro
 
slicendice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 15, 2005
Location: Pickering, ON
Posts: 797
Default Re: Licence plate cover laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyell4
illegal per our Ontario HTA if it renders you plates unreadable by red light cameras, photo radar, ETR toll cameras ...

Number plates, further violations ....

No other numbers to be exposed
13. (1) No number other than that upon the number plate furnished by the Ministry shall be exposed on any part of a motor vehicle or trailer in such a position or manner as to confuse the identity of the number plate. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 13 (1).
Number plate to be kept clean
(2) Every number plate shall be kept free from dirt and obstruction and shall be affixed so that the entire number plate, including the numbers, is plainly visible at all times, and the view of the number plate shall not be obscured or obstructed by spare tires, bumper bars, any part of the vehicle, any attachments to the vehicle or the load carried. 1994, c. 27, s. 138 (7).
Obstruction prohibited
(3) The number plates shall not be obstructed by any device that prevents the entire number plates including the numbers from being accurately photographed using a photo-radar system. 1993, c. 31, s. 2 (5).
Same
(3.0.1) The number plates shall not be obstructed by any device that prevents the entire number plates including the numbers from being accurately photographed using a red light camera system. 1998, c. 38, s. 2 (1).
Same
(3.1) The number plates shall not be obstructed by any device or material that prevents the entire number plates including the numbers from being identified by an electronic toll system. 1996, c. 1, Sched. E, s. 2 (1).
Offence
(4) Every person who contravenes subsection (2), (3), (3.0.1) or (3.1) is guilty of an offence. 1993, c. 31, s. 2 (5); 1996, c. 1, Sched. E, s. 2 (2); 1998, c. 38, s. 2 (2).
exactly - so as long as the plate is readable, you're fine. I've had plate covers on my vehicles for 5 years with never an issue.
__________________
Slice.
slicendice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 08:19 PM   #8
Blue
Club Pro
 
Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 10, 2006
Location: Niagara
Posts: 596
Default Re: Licence plate cover laws

Coloured plate covers, even when clean, are illagal. I know several people who have gotten tickets for those.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 04:11 AM   #9
slicendice
Club Pro
 
slicendice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 15, 2005
Location: Pickering, ON
Posts: 797
Default Re: Licence plate cover laws

does the ticketing only happen on the 407?
__________________
Slice.
slicendice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 08:02 PM   #10
Blue
Club Pro
 
Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 10, 2006
Location: Niagara
Posts: 596
Default Re: Licence plate cover laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicendice
does the ticketing only happen on the 407?
No. It has nothing to do with avoiding toll cameras.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 10:19 AM   #11
slicendice
Club Pro
 
slicendice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 15, 2005
Location: Pickering, ON
Posts: 797
Default Re: Licence plate cover laws

so, you're a police officer or work at traffic court? It's not that I don't belive you, it's just that I'd need some legal proof that i'd get a ticket for my ever so slightly smoke coloured covers.

for those who got tickets or know people who got tickets for this? What kind of car was the person driving? I drive a late model silver CRV - unless I'm speeding or otherwise being a naughty driver, I'm invisible.
__________________
Slice.

Last edited by slicendice; Jan 31, 2008 at 10:28 AM.
slicendice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:03 PM   #12
nobdyhere
Toronto Ryder Cup Member
 
nobdyhere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 16, 2005
Location: T.O.
Posts: 1,110
Default Re: Licence plate cover laws

they have to be legal if the MTO are selling them. You can buy them at any MTO office and they are blue. But if the shielding becomes scratched or hard to read you have to remove it or replace it.

I also believe their can only be certain colours that are allowed like blue/clear/tinted because my sister almost got a ticket for having her pink covers on.

You never know when the cop wants to be an basturd and give you a ticket for it.
__________________
-------------------------------
Member of the '08, '10, '11, '14 Champion TGN Ryder Cup Team!

In the Bag Fitted by Modern Golf:
TM SLDR TP 9* w/ Ozik 7M3 Black Tie X-flex
Ping i15 15.5* w/ Accra Prototype X-flex
Adams Idea Pro w/ Speeder 757 X-flex

TM Rocketbladez Tour 4-PW w/ PX 7.0
Ping Tour W 52,56,60 w/ PX 6.5
Odyssey ProType iX #9HT w/ Super Stroke Slim 1.0
TM Lethal

GAO#
544296

GAO index: 9.3

nobdyhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:20 PM   #13
Big Shooter
Tour Pro
 
Big Shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 3, 2005
Location: South Central North York!
Posts: 24,647
Default Re: Licence plate cover laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobdyhere
my sister almost got a ticket for having her pink covers on.

You never know when the cop wants to be an basturd and give you a ticket for it.
..or has ulterior motives!
Big Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:33 PM   #14
racmbs
Toronto Ryder Cup Member
 
racmbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 9, 2005
Location: Semi-retired - Richmond Hill
Posts: 19,897
Default Re: Licence plate cover laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobdyhere
they have to be legal if the MTO are selling them. You can buy them at any MTO office and they are blue. But if the shielding becomes scratched or hard to read you have to remove it or replace it.

I also believe their can only be certain colours that are allowed like blue/clear/tinted because my sister almost got a ticket for having her pink covers on.

You never know when the cop wants to be an basturd and give you a ticket for it.
A buddy of mine is with the OPP and has told me that they are illegal.....and if caught, will be asked to remove. In some cases they just get you to take them off on the spot and be done with it....if you can't, they fine you instead so you do.
__________________

racmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 01:29 PM   #15
dekker
Tour Pro
 
Join Date: Aug 3, 2006
Posts: 11,710
Default Re: Licence plate cover laws

Admit it, the only reason you put covers on your plate is to hopefully ride toll roads incognito.
Keeps the dirt off? Yeah sure.
dekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 01:58 PM   #16
slicendice
Club Pro
 
slicendice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 15, 2005
Location: Pickering, ON
Posts: 797
Default Re: Licence plate cover laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekker
Admit it, the only reason you put covers on your plate is to hopefully ride toll roads incognito.
Keeps the dirt off? Yeah sure.
lol! actually no, i like to keep the plates looking clean and fresh. and I've never driven on the 407. ever! I drive a non descript small honda suv - i'm already incognito!
__________________
Slice.
slicendice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 02:03 PM   #17
goshawk
Toronto Ryder Cup Member
 
goshawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 10, 2006
Location: City of Markham, with forays to Tampa
Posts: 17,306
Default Re: Licence plate cover laws

Since I put a clear cover on my GF's SVT several years ago to deter people stealing her sticker (it happened twice), she's been stopped several times at ride program stops and once for speeding and had no probs with the officers involved. BTW, the stickers have stayed put since I did this.
__________________
The Name of the Game is Consistency!
goshawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 08:12 PM   #18
Blue
Club Pro
 
Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 10, 2006
Location: Niagara
Posts: 596
Default Re: Licence plate cover laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicendice
so, you're a police officer or work at traffic court? It's not that I don't belive you, it's just that I'd need some legal proof that i'd get a ticket for my ever so slightly smoke coloured covers.

for those who got tickets or know people who got tickets for this? What kind of car was the person driving? I drive a late model silver CRV - unless I'm speeding or otherwise being a naughty driver, I'm invisible.
One of my friends drives an Infinity FX35. Here is his story....

Yesterday driving on Keele I get pulled over from a cop who was driving behind me for less than 15 seconds. I'm not really worried (as long as they don't search my car) because I've done nothing wrong. Not speeding and I signalled when I passed another car (I saw when the cop got behind us all).

The cop who resembled Micahel Kuss with a lisp informs me that he pulled me over because my tinted license plate cover is obstructing my plate. What surprised me is his partner standing outside my passenger window looking inside the car the whole time. Well, until he walked over to the other side to tell his partner that my tint is illegal also.

I told the pig that I've had the tint and plate cover on since I got the vehicle 2 1/2 years ago and have never had any trouble. He wasn't very talkative and went to his car. 10 minutes later he has a ticket for $110 for the plate cover.

I told him it seemed kind of foolish that I get a $110 ticket for the plate cover when I would have simply removed it. I told him I didn't want my insurance to go up but he gave me the typical cop answer (heard this before) that it doesn't affect my demerit points and shouldn't affect my insurance. From when I looked into it though, any moving violation (ticket other than parking) will affect insurance. If my car was parked he would not have issued the ticket thus it's a moving violation technically.

Anyway, I asked him why he couldn't give me a fix-it ticket but he responded by saying he has to give me one for the tint or plate cover and did me a favour because it would cost money to have the tint removed.

He leaves by telling me that with the dark tint (27% btw) and plate cover "it usually means you're up to no good".

How ridiculous. I understand that it gives him cause to pull me over but once he can clearly see that I'm a regular guy with a clean record not engaging in criminal activity you'd think he could just have warned me.



The ticket got tossed in court. The problem with a lot of the HTA laws are that it's all about the discretion of an officer. You can be fine 99% of the time but it takes one officer who is having a bad day to end up with a stupid ticket. I have been driving sports cars for a long time now so I'm used to having my balls busted for no reason but it does get old
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 09:11 PM   #19
TourIQ
Tour Pro
 
TourIQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 8, 2005
Location: Wingham, ON, Canada N0G 2W0
Posts: 10,121
Default Re: Licence plate cover laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chambokl
The OPP said they were not legal. They said that you can't cover your licence plate.

I don't know why they are still selling them. I also don't know anybody that were ticketed for having one of those. I know some people got warnings..
My brother got pulled over with the tinted CTC licence plate cover and got a note to get his vehicle upgraded within something like 48 hours. No fine if he complied, so he took the note to CTC and got new clear covers.

The tint covers don't work too well at the USA/Canada borders as they can't read your plate no.
__________________
Adams Tech 12.5* / Tight-Lies 16* / 9031 Tour Hybrid / Ping WRX i20 Irons
Vokey CC-TVD Wedges / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone
TourIQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 04:14 AM   #20
VBall
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 21, 2004
Posts: 757
Default Re: Licence plate cover laws

I knew the tinted ones were illegal but never thought the clear ones were too. Several years back I bought my car in for service (at the dealership) and when I got it back, they've put clear covers on my plate. Back then, I was thinking "Wow, nice service"... but now I know they were just trying to screw me over.
VBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 05:53 AM   #21
slicendice
Club Pro
 
slicendice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 15, 2005
Location: Pickering, ON
Posts: 797
Default Re: Licence plate cover laws

interesting. I'll pick up some clear covers - if i get stopped for clear covers then so be it.

thanks for the info Blue!
__________________
Slice.
slicendice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 07:05 AM   #22
Blue
Club Pro
 
Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 10, 2006
Location: Niagara
Posts: 596
Default Re: Licence plate cover laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicendice
interesting. I'll pick up some clear covers - if i get stopped for clear covers then so be it.

thanks for the info Blue!
No problem
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cover, laws, licence, plate

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Petition to get rid of front licence plate wayland The Local Pub 23 Aug 29, 2007 09:39 AM
Cover Letter for School felsteinb The 19th Hole 1 Jan 26, 2007 02:39 AM
Golf licence in Germany..... klink1983 The 19th Hole 25 Jan 19, 2007 06:13 AM
WTB scotty caliente or similar cover sharkhark Right Hand Clubs 2 Jan 27, 2006 11:09 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Terms of Service / Privacy