Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum  

Go Back   Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum > Golf Discussion Forum > The Local Pub
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old Mar 27, 2008, 09:26 AM   #26
iyell4
Tour Pro

Default Re: Boy Scout Rob Ford charged with assault and uttering death threats

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepratt
I am really really tired of his act.
i kinda like his schtick on Oakley in the mornings.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 09:31 AM   #27
Golden Bear
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman
The point being made in my post is that everyone has a certain degree of prejidice in them. Sorry you missed that. The biggest problem here is that you and others like to sit on your high stoops and condem for sins you your self commit.
Okay. List my sins.

Quote:
Sometimes in order to accomplish this words like "People" and "Oriental" are ridiculously converted to derogatory terms. As golfpal said, we don't know what to say anymore. We no longer know which way to turn for fear of stepping in dog doodoo. Its not just Rob Ford that steps in it. Most recently, bob Runciman. And instead of digging in to Rob Fords past, lets look in to the past of any public person that has been accused of racial slurs. And there will be many many more. Because there are those that keep setting up the booby traps in hopes of snaring another unwary sould that dares to speak publicly. I can see future public speaking engagements by politicians as being, hosted by a team of lawyers up on the latest whims of political correctness to advice them of anything they say.
If someone makes one comment because they slipped, didn't understand the nature of a word, etc., that's one thing. Rob Ford is a repeat offender. I can't imagine he didn't know "gino" was offensive. I can't imagine he didn't think there was something offensive about screaming "get a job" to homeless people. I can't imagine he didn't know someone would take being called "waste of skin" in a bad way.

What are his redeeming qualities, exactly? That he calls city hall to account but doesn't think he himself should be called to account when he sidesteps policy on filing receipts? Hey, he raises a fuss about waste at city hall, and that's a good thing. I'm not going to argue that. But that seems to be the only thing he's got going for him. He seems to have a lot more bad qualities than good qualities.
Golden Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 09:31 AM   #28
guitarman
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Bear
I guess my wife's family are all liars then. And so are the many Asian friends I've had and continue to have over the years. Or I am. And I guess these people are, too: http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/346424
Well either you and them or me and my Asian contacts.

Quote:
Note that I didn't compare it to the "N" word. There is another word that would be comparable. "Oriental" would be more equivalent to calling someone of African descent "coloured", if that helps.
See how complicated it becomes by all this hair splitting. Its not just racial bigotry. You have to make different levels of it.

Quote:
Now, why are people getting so wrapped up on one thing? The Rob Ford apologists are trying to sidestep the multiple incidents in which the blowhard has been way off base. He's got a history of insensitive comments, a history of objectionable behaviour, and now people are pretending no one on earth considers "Oriental" offensive.
I've addressed my opinions on all aspects of the Rob Ford subject. It seems the thread has evolved in to this a little deeper. It wouldn't be the first time a thread has evolved like this.

Quote:
You're defending Rob Ford against his own words and actions. I can't imagine why anyone would be comfortable with that. He's a buffoon.
I'm not defending Rob Ford. I'm simply addressing the the way alot of people like to convict before all evidence is present or the way some elitist like to accuse of things they most likely are no better for. As for Rob Ford being a buffon. Everyones a buffoon to someone.
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 09:33 AM   #29
esidirop
Tour Pro

Quote:
Actually, it IS a good point. And it proves my point.

"Redneck" is derogatory slang. It is listed as such in the dictionary. It has long been derogatory.

If I was a politician and was saying that our local workers should have the same work ethic as the rednecks who have immigrated from the US south, I'd expect to be fileted for it.
You sound like a politician with all your views and expert knowledge in every area of the public. You should run for an mp, maybe a good opportunity to represent one of your many causes.
esidirop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 09:34 AM   #30
guitarman
Tour Pro

Quote:
Okay. List my sins.
I don't need to list them but unless your Jesus Christ you have them.

Quote:
If someone makes one comment because they slipped, didn't understand the nature of a word, etc., that's one thing. Rob Ford is a repeat offender. I can't imagine he didn't know "gino" was offensive. I can't imagine he didn't think there was something offensive about screaming "get a job" to homeless people. I can't imagine he didn't know someone would take being called "waste of skin" in a bad way.

What are his redeeming qualities, exactly? That he calls city hall to account but doesn't think he himself should be called to account when he sidesteps policy on filing receipts? Hey, he raises a fuss about waste at city hall, and that's a good thing. I'm not going to argue that. But that seems to be the only thing he's got going for him. He seems to have a lot more bad qualities than good qualities.
Yeah, yeah we've been over all that. Rob Ford is a bad guy with no redeeming qualities according to you. If them other polititcians weren't so dam smart we could out them all.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 09:43 AM   #31
Golden Bear
Tour Pro

Quote:
I'm not defending Rob Ford. I'm simply addressing the the way alot of people like to convict before all evidence is present
Has anyone here said he's guilty? I don't think so. I've said he may or may not be guilty. I've said it's unlikely either he or his wife is completely without fault, but I haven't said "he beat his wife". Frankly, given that he's got custody of the kids, it's likely that the folks at Children's Aid think he was far from the guiltiest party here, but I'm sure there was some physical altercation, since some reports say his wife was injured.

In the process, we've talked about a lot of controversy in Ford's past, and while we can debate the intent of things like "the Orientals are taking over", we can't debate other charged comments he has made, which have been outlined here. He's been insensitive or outright insulting to AIDs sufferers, the homeless, and Italians. He's been tossed from a public arena for drunken conduct (which he then lied about, I should add). And his redeeming quality is that he waited until Sideshow Mel was no longer mayor before complaining about excesses at City Hall. I don't see a heck of a lot to like about this man.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 09:54 AM   #32
guitarman
Tour Pro

Quote:
Has anyone here said he's guilty? I don't think so. I've said he may or may not be guilty. I've said it's unlikely either he or his wife is completely without fault, but I haven't said "he beat his wife". Frankly, given that he's got custody of the kids, it's likely that the folks at Children's Aid think he was far from the guiltiest party here, but I'm sure there was some physical altercation, since some reports say his wife was injured.

In the process, we've talked about a lot of controversy in Ford's past, and while we can debate the intent of things like "the Orientals are taking over", we can't debate other charged comments he has made, which have been outlined here. He's been insensitive or outright insulting to AIDs sufferers, the homeless, and Italians. He's been tossed from a public arena for drunken conduct (which he then lied about, I should add). And his redeeming quality is that he waited until Sideshow Mel was no longer mayor before complaining about excesses at City Hall. I don't see a heck of a lot to like about this man.
With your obvious disdain for Rob Ford and your repeated negative comments towards Mel Lastman lead me to assume you've been taken in by the Mayor Miller camp.
Wasn't Mel the longest serving Mayor. He'd maybe even still be mayor if he didn't retire.
I don't know for sure but maybe such council abuses didn't happen when Mel was mayor. And that might be why Rob Ford didn't complain.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 09:56 AM   #33
dekker
Tour Pro

well,the one thing we can all agree on is that Miller&Co. are sporting delirious silly grins right now.
dekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:08 AM   #34
Golden Bear
Tour Pro

Quote:
With your obvious disdain for Rob Ford and your repeated negative comments towards Mel Lastman lead me to assume you've been taken in by the Mayor Miller camp.
Why? Why does one necessitate the other? Can you dislike Mel and Rob Ford without liking Miller? I believe I've been negative about Miller many times on this board. For what it's worth, I'm a moderate and unlikely to be taken in by a Lastman or a Miller. I'm more likely to support a Red Tory or a true Liberal. In other words, I've got no one to vote for these days. That oughta explain my bitterness!

Quote:
Wasn't Mel the longest serving Mayor. He'd maybe even still be mayor if he didn't retire.
I don't know for sure but maybe such council abuses didn't happen when Mel was mayor. And that might be why Rob Ford didn't complain.
People were more focussed on Mel's sideshows like the overblown Millenium celebrations and the silly (now, mercifully defunct) Celebrate Toronto Street Festival that clogged traffic and attracted few people. But as for Ford, he's a neoconservative, a buddy of Jim Flaherty, and his attacks are clearly motivated more by the political leanings of the current mayor then they are a real concern for misspending.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:13 AM   #35
Bellyhungry
Tour Pro

'You people' obviously need to go play some golf to channel your hyperactive energy into smashing balls.
Bellyhungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:27 AM   #36
guitarman
Tour Pro

Quote:
Why? Why does one necessitate the other? Can you dislike Mel and Rob Ford without liking Miller? I believe I've been negative about Miller many times on this board. For what it's worth, I'm a moderate and unlikely to be taken in by a Lastman or a Miller. I'm more likely to support a Red Tory or a true Liberal. In other words, I've got no one to vote for these days. That oughta explain my bitterness!
Oh for gawd sakes, lighten up. Is your computer unable to display icons? I have a grinny one there if you aren't able to see it.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:29 AM   #37
Golden Bear
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellyhungry
'You people' obviously need to go play some golf to channel your hyperactive energy into smashing balls.
Oh yeah?!?! And just what does "you people" mean, bucko!!! You want to see some balls getting smashed, you know where to look, pal.

<Disclaimer: This message is laced with irony for the amusement of the poster and his fellow posters. It is not to be taken as a genuine threat, a statement of ill will, or anything that might be bad. It should not be construed as offensive to pals, to buckos, or to people. At the sound of the tone, the time will be 3:30 p.m. Eastern Daylight time. Beep.>

Quote:
Oh for gawd sakes, lighten up.
That's an unreasonable request. However, I will cheer up. I'm afraid I'm unable to produce light today, however. That's simply not a realistic ability for a human.

Last edited by Golden Bear; Mar 27, 2008 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Automerged posts
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:33 AM   #38
guitarman
Tour Pro

Quote:
That's an unreasonable request. However, I will cheer up. I'm afraid I'm unable to produce light today, however. That's simply not a realistic ability for a human.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:36 AM   #39
Bellyhungry
Tour Pro

Quote:
Oh yeah?!?! And just what does "you people" mean, bucko!!! You want to see some balls getting smashed, you know where to look, pal.

<Disclaimer: This message is laced with irony for the amusement of the poster and his fellow posters. It is not to be taken as a genuine threat, a statement of ill will, or anything that might be bad. It should not be construed as offensive to pals, to buckos, or to people. At the sound of the tone, the time will be 3:30 p.m. Eastern Daylight time. Beep.>
Oh yeah? You are a tough guy now? You wanna go outside? I will 'patrick roy' you and then take picture of you when you tee off.

Better yet, Jack Nicklaus is nothing but a second tier average golfer.
Bellyhungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:39 AM   #40
davepratt
Tour Pro

My pappy told me to avoid the topics of politics and religion at parties. I guess he should have warned me about Golf Chat rooms as well.
davepratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:43 AM   #41
Golden Bear
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellyhungry
Better yet, Jack Nicklaus is nothing but a second tier average golfer.
That's it. I just ruptured an artery. Once I get out of surgery, you're in real trouble, mister. We're talkin' Golden-Bear-putter-to-the-temple trouble. You've messed with the wrong irrational-fanboy.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:45 AM   #42
Frank101
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shooter
I like him.
ditto

My only question is am I racist cuz I was born white?

That seems to be the case lately.
Frank101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:57 AM   #43
guitarman
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by italfrank
ditto

My only question is am I racist cuz I was born white?

That seems to be the case lately.
I don't know. I'm wrong because I'm married.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 12:26 PM   #44
Chambokl
Tour Pro

Frank, you are required to change your name immediately... ItalFrank is NOT an acceptable name....
Chambokl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 09:45 PM   #45
Big Shooter
Tour Pro

I have "Asian" friends who PREFER to be called "Oreintal" because they are Chinese, and don't like the term "Asian" because ASIA includes anyone from any part of the Continent of Asia, which they feel doesn't 'represent' their culture!
Big Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 04:45 AM   #46
guitarman
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shooter
I have "Asian" friends who PREFER to be called "Oreintal" because they are Chinese, and don't like the term "Asian" because ASIA includes anyone from any part of the Continent of Asia, which they feel doesn't 'represent' their culture!
I guess it doesn't matter what we say, we'll always piss someone off.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 06:07 AM   #47
hogannut
Tour Pro

Here's my take on it. I am NOT impressed with Rob Ford on a personal basis. It appears he may have an anger and/or alchol issue. He at least has poor common sense. When you are employed in the public sector it is a good idea not to get drunk and shoot off your mouth at a public event, like a Leaf game. It is also not a good idea to have your personal domestic issues turn into public knowledge.

As a politician I applaud him. He isn't afraid to speak his mind and confirm what many people think in that there are a lot of politicians out there who don't treat the tax money with very much respect and are only concerned with their budgets and how much they will get.

A government in theory should really be a "non-profit" business and any extra money should be invested back into the country. If you are able to use less than your budget you should be REWARDED, not penalized, which is what happens now because the next years budget will be less compared to what you got in the current year. That is not a formula to encourage less usage!!

Ford obviously has personal issues he needs to address, which he should. I would also like to hear and see both side of the story before passing judgement on his wifes allegations.

Alpha Golf Version 5 3wd 15* Platinum 65gr 44"
Alpha Golf C830 19* & 22* FST 90 "R" 41.5" & 40.5"
Alpha Golf RM6 25* FST 90 "R" 39.5"
Hogan Apex Edge Pro 5-E FST "R" 90 +1/2"
Snake Eyes 52* 675WB FST 90 "R" +1/2"
Snake Eyes 60* (58*) 675WB FST 90 "R" +1/2"
Heavy Putter A1 33"
Bushnell V2 Range Finder
Wilson FG Tour
" The secret is in the dirt "....... Ben Hogan
hogannut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2008, 06:41 AM   #48
golfpal
Scratch Golfer

As usual the bad press is expressed by everyone and when the guy is exonorated and charges dropped no one comments. Not saying hes totally innoncent but worth mentioning charges were bogus.
golfpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2008, 06:44 AM   #49
guitarman
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfpal
As usual the bad press is expressed by everyone and when the guy is exonorated and charges dropped no one comments. Not saying hes totally innoncent but worth mentioning charges were bogus.
I was glad to hear the charges were dropped and that he is currently in counselling with his wife.
Old May 22, 2008, 06:53 AM   #50
hogannut
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfpal
Of course presumed guilty and when he is found not guilty no one cares or changes their opinion. HE is as close to an honest politician as you can get. Why do you think he ruffles so many feathers? Because all the other politicians like their perks of spending tax dollars anyway they see fit. Ford at least recognizes the tax money doesn't grow on trees!!.

It was also stated that he and his wife are in councelling.

As I have said I don't condone his actions on a personal basis, but maybe us tax payers would have a few more dollars in our pockets if we had more politicians like Rob Ford.

Alpha Golf Version 5 3wd 15* Platinum 65gr 44"
Alpha Golf C830 19* & 22* FST 90 "R" 41.5" & 40.5"
Alpha Golf RM6 25* FST 90 "R" 39.5"
Hogan Apex Edge Pro 5-E FST "R" 90 +1/2"
Snake Eyes 52* 675WB FST 90 "R" +1/2"
Snake Eyes 60* (58*) 675WB FST 90 "R" +1/2"
Heavy Putter A1 33"
Bushnell V2 Range Finder
Wilson FG Tour
" The secret is in the dirt "....... Ben Hogan
hogannut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags