Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum  

Go Back   Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum > Golf Discussion Forum > Tour Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old Feb 18, 2012, 04:15 PM   #1
nado
High Handicapper

Default Seniors Tour scoring

I think its a joke how they lay out hole cuts to be perfectly flat within 10ft of the cup and then the the commentators are amazed at the low scoring. I also heard them talking how long the senior players are so long off the tee now.....they say its all equipment.....i think they are forgetting how the fairways are cut as close as the greens that we ams play on so there getting tons of roll. Just seems dumb to set up courses like that making the pga players look silly meanwhile they cant make cuts (most of them) when they play pga events.... my two cents
nado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 04:21 PM   #2
Pingnut
Greenskeeper

Default Re: Seniors Tour scoring

People want to see those guys make birdies, not struggle to make pars. I remember reading about the old guys complaining when Hale ruled the roost, pushing the tour to set up the courses tough.
TM Burner 2.0 4-9
Cally X-Forged 48,52,58,64
Ping Redwood D66
Pingnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 04:32 PM   #3
Leftygolfer30
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nado View Post
I think its a joke how they lay out hole cuts to be perfectly flat within 10ft of the cup and then the the commentators are amazed at the low scoring. I also heard them talking how long the senior players are so long off the tee now.....they say its all equipment.....i think they are forgetting how the fairways are cut as close as the greens that we ams play on so there getting tons of roll. Just seems dumb to set up courses like that making the pga players look silly meanwhile they cant make cuts (most of them) when they play pga events.... my two cents
You know that in almost every event there's a cut regardless of the course setup, right?
Leftygolfer30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 04:40 PM   #4
nado
High Handicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftygolfer30 View Post
You know that in almost every event there's a cut regardless of the course setup, right?
Im talking about the low scoring........we play courses here with tougher pin placements!
Old Feb 18, 2012, 04:59 PM   #5
Bellyhungry
Tour Pro

Quote:
I don't think there's cut at senior tour tourneys except in their 10 majors.
Bellyhungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 05:02 PM   #6
Leftygolfer30
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellyhungry View Post
I don't think there's cut at senior tour tourneys except in their 10 majors.
I didn't realize that.

I still don't understand the point of the OP's rant.

I'm pretty sure every Senior's Tour player could beat him, regardless of the course setup.
Leftygolfer30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 05:11 PM   #7
nado
High Handicapper

Quote:
I didn't realize that.

I still don't understand the point of the OP's rant.

I'm pretty sure every Senior's Tour player could beat him, regardless of the course setup.
im sure they would educate me on the course too...but i was takling about how much praise the announcers give them making it seem like they were at par with pga guys
Old Feb 18, 2012, 05:15 PM   #8
nado
High Handicapper

This is off topic but, have you heard how nick faldo shoots down tiger wood and dustin j......what does he have against them other than they have faster swing speeds than he ever had
Old Feb 18, 2012, 07:18 PM   #9
TheSaxemachine
Tour Pro

Quote:
This is off topic but, have you heard how nick faldo shoots down tiger wood and dustin j......what does he have against them other than they have faster swing speeds than he ever had
You're right, that is off topic.
RBZ Tour 18.5 w/Matrix Altus
Adams CMB 4-PW w/DG S300
Vokey SM4 50 SM2 55 60
Taylormade Ghost Blade
Ballin'
Lethal/Z Star ZV
TheSaxemachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 07:39 PM   #10
4underthru9
Tour Pro

It's off topic and by the way that's SIR Nick now. I think Sir Nick is the European version of Johnny Miller he calls a spade a spade unlike Peter O who is soo nice to our american golfers. It also maybe that Sir Nick is getting a bit of revenge on the CBS and NBC guys for often chewing out the European golfers. As far as the the Seniors go those guys are still pretty damn good. Freddy C only missed the cut by 1 and I don't think he was playing from the forward Tees, bad back an all!.
4underthru9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 09:08 PM   #11
Big Shooter
Tour Pro

They don't shoot low scores on every course, but you have to remember that at 50, many of these guys are as good as they ever were...usually it's the putting that lets them down....also, many courses that they play earlier in the season (this is their 3rd tournament) are in South Florida, where the land is very flat, and they are playing to an 'older' audience who live/play these courses
Big Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:52 PM   #12
mpare
Tour Pro

A few years ago my younger daughter gave my wife and I tickets to the Senior PGA Championship which was to be played in Arnie's backyard in PA. I had the opportunity to watch them hitting balls on the course and on the range. Those guys ARE good! The pin placements were tough, and they still found ways to get to them. Given their ages, I would have been praising their accomplishments as much as any announcer. Neither I nor the announcers would have been suggesting that they are as good as PGA Tour players. They generally are not, since they're not as long and their putting is not quite as sharp. But they still play some very good and entertaining golf. And more than the junior tour, they work the ball much better. So I have no beef with the respect that is extended to them within their arena of play.
mpare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 05:04 AM   #13
Weirfan
Tour Pro

Quote:
players are so long off the tee now.....they say its all equipment.....i think they are forgetting how the fairways are cut as close as the greens that we ams play on so there getting tons of roll.

equipment advances particularly ball and shaft have made for some increase in distances no doubt.

you are also correct that the fairways at the courses that pros play are cut tight and often firm and fast resulting in significant more roll out than we might be used to playing "normal" courses here in the northeast.

(depending on weather)
Old Feb 19, 2012, 05:11 AM   #14
ace in the hazard
Tour Pro

silly question, but why do guys lose their putting touch when they get older? i would have figured it would be the last thing to go since experience counts for more than strength
TM 21*H
TM 200 4-PW DG300
CG15 52/56
TM Rossa Monza Corza 33" Winn Jumbo Pistol
ace in the hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 05:33 AM   #15
AlfaGolfer
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace in the hazard View Post
silly question, but why do guys lose their putting touch when they get older? i would have figured it would be the last thing to go since experience counts for more than strength
I understand there is this dreaded thing called "yips". I understand that it is a neural condition that makes it difficult, if not outright impossible to putt well. I believe it comes from years of delicate muscle firings (the initiation of and execution of the putting stroke) under mental pressure.
AlfaGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 05:56 AM   #16
northernpro
Tour Pro

the senior tour is like a 'pension plan' for retired regular PGA Tour players..
if they have made a reasonable amt of money on the reg tour they qualify
for the old boys tour..they generally must make their cash in the first
few years because there is a batch of 'new' seniors every year..
northernpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:12 AM   #17
bogey5
Club Pro

They say it's the toughest tour to qualify for due to limited number of exemptions unless you have PGA money list status to start out. I don't think anybody expects PGA tour golf like it's played by the young guys just as nobody expects PGA tour quality watching LPGA. But they're all still pretty good for the game they're playing. I prefer watching the PGA tour but it's fun to watch the skill of some of the seniors playing their home made swings that didn't come from a computer model or a lifetime of instruction. There's a lot of great ball strikers out there with swings that nobody could or would teach today.
bogey5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 02:17 PM   #18
nomullies
Club Pro

I saw them at Pebble Beach last summer. Yup, they're pretty good. What I didn't see much of was the bombing off the tee. Everything else seemed fairly close to the regular tour pros I saw at St. George's.
nomullies is offline   Reply With Quote