No announcement yet.
Collapse

Graphite or steel for 4 and 5 hybrid ?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphite or steel for 4 and 5 hybrid ?

I'm really not too sure about this one. Traditionally I hit a Maltby forged blade with Project 5.5 steel shafts. I've decided to go with a hybrid 4 and 5 for the coming season and am wondering about the differences anyone has found with a 5 hybrid with a steel shaft - compared to a graphite set up. The graphites I'm thinking of are Regular Excalibre tour hybrid shafts. Thanks all.

Re: Graphite or steel for 4 and 5 hybrid ?

I can only add my experience with an RBZ 3H.

Last spring I bought it and had limited confidence with it and the stock graphite stiff shaft. I never knew if I was going to hook it or balloon it high right.

So I put the same shaft from my irons in it --- Project X 6.0.

It was like having a totally different club --- extremely accurate and I now had 100% confidence with it.

I didn't concern myself with swingweight --- I just ordered a 3 iron Project X shaft, put my grip of choice on it and glued the head on.

I certainly noticed a difference in overall weight but if the swingweight was substantially different I certainly couldn't tell.

I may do the same with the Stage II 4H I just bought. I think I'll buy a TM adapter, take the steel shaft out of my RBZ, glue the adapter on and see what works best.

Comment

This link is to a great wrx thread on the subject.

I just ordered c-taper lite shafts for some old 909h hybrids i have kicking around. I'd like to be able to test them side by side with my graphite 910's come spring.

Comment

I think I'll try a steel shaft on the 5 hybrid. I usually hit at a D-1 and I should be able to build to that. I'm not sure why all hybrids are built with a graphite shaft. I agree with the above. This is a replacement club. I wonder how many TGN's are hitting with a steel shaft.

Comment

Guilty.

Current set:
          Anser 9.5, AD DI 7X .... and as a second option, got an adapter put on an X100 built to 44.75"
          Nike VR 2 Hybrid 18* with S300 shaft
          3i-PW S300
          Wedges S400

May swap the S300's for X100's down the road, we'll see.

May swap the 18* hybrid and 3i (21*) for a 15* 3-wood and 20 degree hybrid I recently picked up. They currently have graphite shafts. If I decide to go with that set up, will likely replace the shafts. Hybrid I will likely go with steel, FW heavier graphite or steel too.

All this to say, if you think your swing can benefit from the heft of steel. Especially if you're toying with the idea, I highly recommend giving it a shot, it's a relatively cheap experiment with new shafts costing ~$18 plus install. Maybe you'll toy with going further up the ladder past the hybrid too? Who knows.

Comment

Is this a distance or accuracy question?

Graphite could be lighter allowing the shaft to be longer. So you could have a distance advantage for 2 reasons, lighter overall club weight and longer shaft.

Steel potentially would be more stable so you could have an accuracy advantage with steel.

With the new generation shafts now available these lines are blurring. Steel shafts are getting lighter and graphite shafts are getting better.
            Last edited by ctv1; Jan 1, 2014, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Just remembered I have a stiff in a Red Graffaloy Graphite I could try. 5 iron length too. Agree about accuracy though.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
              X