Collapse

In between swing speeds question

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In between swing speeds question

I've been advised that my swing speed falls between a reg flex shaft and a stiff flex shaft. I currently play stiff shafts in all my clubs. I've noticed that my ball flight is penetrating with spin but not high. I think the penetrating ball flight is robbing me of carry distance. Would I benefit from switching to reg flex shafts or will the fact that my swing speed being also suitable to a stiff flex shaft cause me to spray the ball all over the place?

Re: In between swing speeds question

There are different degrees of stiffness, so one companies stiff may be another companies X. And one might be tip stiff while the other has a softer tip section. The best way to figure it out is to get fit by a qualified fitter. I would strongly recommend Modern Golf (they can do it indoors at their facility or outdoors on their outdoor fitting days at Pipers), but there are many reputable fitters in the GTA.

Comment

Hi 6rida, I have a similar issue with my shafts too - inbetween regular and stiff. I've attached a Project X shaft flex chart that shows that their driver shafts identified as 5.5 are actually in-between regular and stiff. I have played their 5.5 wood shafts and find it to be pretty accurate to being right in-between. Their 5.5 iron shafts however are actually stiff. Hope the chart helps. For your irons, you can ask your clubfitter to softstep or hardstep your shafts to get them in-between regular & stiff. Once you determine your shaft flex, you can decide if you want a high, mid or low launching shaft ... And you can also determine the torque, high mid or low ... Which affects the feel through impact. Cheers.
      Last edited by therevlovesgolf; Aug 5, 2014, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 6rida View Post
        I've been advised that my swing speed falls between a reg flex shaft and a stiff flex shaft. I currently play stiff shafts in all my clubs. I've noticed that my ball flight is penetrating with spin but not high. I think the penetrating ball flight is robbing me of carry distance. Would I benefit from switching to reg flex shafts or will the fact that my swing speed being also suitable to a stiff flex shaft cause me to spray the ball all over the place?
        A softer flex may allow you a little more height, but your concerns of spraying the ball all over the place due to 1 flex change is unwarranted. If you are 1/2 a flex out you are only talking 5 - 6 cycles and most cannot detect 3 cycles, so we are talking a minimal change.

The hard part with 'in-between flexes' is who's flex you are comparing to?

A good clubfitter / clubmaker will be able to fine tune the frequency to where you desire it to be, but this will require a minimum of new shafts.

Please let me know if I can help.
        Regards
        Dan

True Length Technology TM
        Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
        True Frequency Technology TM
        - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
        - Master
        Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
        - Advanced / Professional
        Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
        - Class 'A'

Comment

Originally posted by 6rida View Post
          Question for you, do you take divots with your irons? what iron do you start not taking divot? most people can take divot with short irons but not 7, 6, 5, 4. this tells me your swing type is shallower/flatter. All thin shots and skull shots are low and penetrating. Sounds to me like swing issue more than clubs.

normal hight of golf shots with mid irons are 90 feet in the air. Mind you tour players can control their trojectry, they can hit their ball high or low depending on course condition.

with the irons, the ball goes higher when you hit down on it and it will be low when you hit up on it.

If anything a stiffer shaft will give you more control but shouldn't affect your ball flight all that much unless you go to XX stiff.

Tiger Woods and pretty much all the tour players have swing coaches all their life, you think you should as well?
          Practice is about anticipation not change.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
          X