Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What my TLT set looks like...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by triniexr View Post
    I had Dan rebuild my Titleist 716 AP2's this year with Fujikara MCI 100S shafts. His model made a huge difference in my game. I just got used to the clubs and I am hitting them much better now. I was surprised over the weekend when i hit my 5 iron 215 yards. Was never able to do that before.
    Nice...

I'd love to play around with the high irons and even tighter length differences but I know 100% I will never change my wedges from my TLT specs... LOVE them all at 36.4".. they feel perfect.
    Bag: PING Hoofer Camo
    Driver: PING G30 11* SF Tec
    Mini Driver: PING 2014 Rapture 13*

Wood: PING K15 22*
    Hybrids: Adams DHY 24* & 27*
    Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW
    Wedges: PING Glide 58*
    Putter: PING Karsten TR Anser #5
    Work done by Dan's Custom Golf

Comment

• Funny how after 3 seasons of TLT irons, I am now conditioned to my TLT length sets. Specifically that the shortest club in my bag ( my 4 wedges L-S-G-P ) are at 36.5" gripped, which is traditional 8i length.

Since the season ended, I've had a couple lessons and have been hitting balls indoors on a GC2 twice a week, both my MP-4 and JPX-900F sets. My instructor is away for the week, but the guy holding-the-fort also happens to game a set of MP-4. He let me borrow his PW & 9i , and I took many shots to see how it felt to have shorter clubs again.

Man, it felt strange to have to bend over that much. I was pulling everything and coming out of my stance. FYI stock 9i is 36.0" and PW is 35.75" gripped length , so we are only talking about 1/2" - 3/4" shorter difference, but traditional Gap-Sand-Lob wedges are yet even shorter. Of course, if I gamed a traditional set again, I would get conditioned back to that way eventually, but I see no need

As I've mentioned a few times over the years in various threads, my 8i has always been a favourite club, regardless of the set in question ( TM, Ping, Adams, Mizuno ) and going back 10+ years when I really sucked, to today where I'm a vastly better player.

My next set will be built to a hybrid of TLT and SL

Single Length in the wedges and short irons, all at 36.5" gripped.
      These include clubs L-S-G-P-9i-8i
      I feel that 36.5 playing length puts me in my optimal stance
      I think that in shorter clubs, that loft dictates most of the distance you can get out of a club. From real-world play, I can tweak lofts as required to get my gapping. Not all of these will have the same lie angle, as I believe the heavier weight of wedges paired to a longer length shaft can induce more toe droop, so they will be a bit more upright than the P-9i-8i. ( I may start a new thread on this topic )

TLT from 7i-4i
      There will be traditional 1/2" length gaps from 8i-4i, with lie angles calculated via TLT. ( possibly 3/8" gaps instead )
      I believe that in mid & long irons, that one still needs shaft length gaps to achieve desired distance spreads. Playing length will still have the 4i at traditional 38.5" gripped , so no distance loss, just a more consistent stance with each club.

^^^ we'll see if my above game-plan is what I end up going with come early April

~ Andy
      Last edited by ARL67; Jan 7, 2018, 08:17 AM.
      WITB:
      Cobra King LTD with Attas 5 GoGo 60S
      Callaway 816 14* with Kurokage TiNi 50 Stiff
      Titleist 915HD 17.5* with Diamana S+ 70S
      Mizuno JPX-900 4-GW with Accra 110i, TLT built by Dan
      Nike VR Pro 54/60 with Accra 110i, TLT built by Dan
      TM Ghost Spider 33" SuperStroke Flatso 3.0 CC

Comment

• Cant wait to get my Maltby MMB built to a modified TLT build.

I adjusted the length progression to a standard 3/8" my current tlt build is .35" between clubs but only .15" between 8i to 9i and 9i to wedges.
        My current irons go from 38.15" 4i to 36.35" wedges.
        my MMB will be 38.15" 4i to 36" wedges.

i do agree i could probably go back to standard 1/2" and be fine but id have to play all wedges same length.

On a side note i wanted to goto TLT dan for my mmbs but the price he wanted i couldnt justify. Golfworks built my set to my specs for 50$ and free shipping.
        Driver---Callaway Epic SZ (9) Fujikura Pro 61 XLR8 TS 45"
        3W------Cobra King F6 (14.5) Aldila Tour Blue 85 S 42.65"
        5W------Cobra King F6 Baffler (17.5) Aldila Tour Blue 85 S 41.75"
        3H-------Cobra King F6 (20.5) Fujikura Motore Speeder 9.8 TS S 39.4"
        Irons------Maltby MMB-17 Black 4-PW Modus 3 125X
        Wedges---Cleveland RTX 3 (52/MG 58/LG) Modus 3 125X/Modus 3 125 Wedge
        Putter-----Taylormade Spider Tour Black (DJ) 34" SS Midslim 2.0

Comment

• It's funny how our brains can obsess about minutia -> we're only talking about 1/8 & 1/16 of an inch differences sometimes in our builds LOL ! Like yourself, we appear to take the best of what we have experienced, and what we feel works best for our overall physical makeup, swing capabilities, what just "feels right", and our overall equipment & playing game-plan.

It was revelatory for me to have all wedges the same.
          I have 4 or 5 short scoring clubs, and regardless of the club in hand, stepping up to the ball required zero thought / stance / swing adjustment for typical full shots.
          WITB:

Comment

• I agree that .15" difference is irrelevant cuz it is. But how it makes a difference is over the progression of an entire set of clubs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
              I agree that .15" difference is irrelevant cuz it is. But how it makes a difference is over the progression of an entire set of clubs.
              Jason...I generally agree with you...but 1/8th means nothing. You can't even grip with that exact precision each time.
              Titleist 915 D2
              Titleist 915 F
              Wishon 929 F
              Wishon 775 Hybrid
              PING i5 Irons
              PING Tour S Rustique 52*
              PING Anser 56*
              PING Glide ES 60*
              MannKrafted Rattler XL
              MannKrafted Midwave
              SGC 902 Custom

Comment

• I think you missed my point. Between 2 clubs such a small number is almost undetectable. But even at .15" over a set of clubs ud hace an inch + difference.

Comment

• Correct. 0.15 off of the standard 1/2" is almost a negligible difference but when each club is accumulating the 0.15, by the time you cover 7 club's you are now at a full inch of length differential.

So if your wedges fit then reducing the length differential of each longer club by the time you get to your 4 iron it is 1" less than where it was making it a far more playable club.

The combination of length and lie is what will get you standing athletic for every club.

0.15 does make a difference and when accumulated over the the total length it becomes a major factor in a proper fitting.
                  Regards
                  Dan

Dan's Custom Golf Shop - Sponsor
                  True Length Technology TM
                  Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
                  True Frequency Technology TM
                  - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
                  - Master
                  Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
                  - Advanced / Professional
                  Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
                  - Class 'A'

Phone : 905-263-8510
                  Hampton, ON
                  Appointment only
                  Web site www.truelengthtechnology.com
                  E-mail: danscustomgolfshop@hotmail.com

Comment

• My TLT experiment just began yesterday. Went to visit Dan, wonderful meeting, great to talk with and he was so knowledgeable. Going to get a set of Ben Hogans (w to 4) made to my TLT specs, reg flex steel shafts, plain grips. While my handicap is pretty high (in and around 100 strokes/game) I stuck with the semi bladed head as I want the feedback if I miss hit a ball. Will use this setup throughout this year no matter the results. I will try to figure out some sort of spreadsheet layout to record my progress as I try to play at least once a week during the golfing season.
                    Cobra L5V- Nunchuk shaft
                    Ping Rapture V2 4W
                    Adams Idea Pro 2H
                    Accuform PTM
                    SC Red X

Comment

• Originally posted by jefflin View Post
                      My TLT experiment just began yesterday. Went to visit Dan, wonderful meeting, great to talk with and he was so knowledgeable. Going to get a set of Ben Hogans (w to 4) made to my TLT specs, reg flex steel shafts, plain grips. While my handicap is pretty high (in and around 100 strokes/game) I stuck with the semi bladed head as I want the feedback if I miss hit a ball. Will use this setup throughout this year no matter the results. I will try to figure out some sort of spreadsheet layout to record my progress as I try to play at least once a week during the golfing season.
                      Measured them all tonight and will have lots of bending to do I am confident that all will go well so should be no problem. Just waiting on the couple of orders ahead of you for their shipment (tomorrow then I will be back on yours. They are going to give you so much confidence that your game will improve with the TLT setup.
                      Regards
                      Dan

- Developer / Owner

- Master
                      - Class 'A'

Hampton, ON
                      Appointment only

Comment

• My TLT experience will also begin this year and I am excited. I picked up my retro-ed Taylormade irons and new 5-wood last week.
                        The irons feel a lot more comfortable at address with the biggest change probably being the 1.4" taken off my 4-iron.

Dan is very knowledgeable and I learned a lot during our fitting session. He pays great attention to detail and the theory behind the TLT math model appealed to the math nerd in me. It was fun just chatting about club building in general (thanks for putting up with my questions - haha) and that alone made the fitting worth it.

I'll report back when I get a chance to take my clubs out on course.
                        Jeff Lin - i'm a high handicapper too (mid 90s) and would love to compare notes as the season progresses.
                        J

Comment

• Thanks J. It was a pleasure working with you but I am so confident that the new length and lie combination determined during the TLT fitting session is going to change your game.

You will be wondering how on earth you ever played before. The consistent address position is what sets me apart from others in the world of fitting. Single length and TLT are the 2 fitting systems that ensure a singular consistent athletic address position for every club.

You will develop a far more consistent swing and you will see improved directional control with greatly improved on center hits. All this will provide improved playability.

Every one of you long irons were too long and too upright. By reducing The length, flattering the lie and adding swing weight back you will experience improved contact and overall feel.
                          Last edited by TLT Dan; Jan 29, 2018, 02:29 PM.
                          Regards
                          Dan

- Developer / Owner

- Master
                          - Class 'A'

Hampton, ON
                          Appointment only

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	39081761335_db8a021716_c.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	2735637

Here is my TLT set up. 8 thru W are pretty much equal length. Clubs are cleaned up and look like new. I am really looking forward to the season to start.

Originally posted by jpires View Post
                            Jeff Lin - i'm a high handicapper too (mid 90s) and would love to compare notes as the season progresses.
                            No problem. I've already posted on the 19th hole thread with regards to my plans for how I will record my progress.
                            Attached Files
                            Cobra L5V- Nunchuk shaft
                            Ping Rapture V2 4W
                            Adams Idea Pro 2H
                            Accuform PTM
                            SC Red X

Comment

• Nice Work ! Along with experiencing the benefits of TLT, you will also appreciate the quality of Dan's build, in that everything just "feels right" in your hands -> a product of Dan's measurements and consistency of build.

My numerous chats with Dan over the last 3-4 years have opened my eyes to other "non-traditional" ways of club spec/assembly. I believe the re-appearance of Single Length a couple years ago put another spotlight on that 1/2" increments and 0.5* lie angle increments might not be a universal-truth. Dan built me 3 sets over the last 4 years, and each set I tweaked a bit differently based on how I played/evolved with them, and what I think I could improve for MY game and MY swing. I'm planning my next set in the spring will be SL for 8-9-P-G-L, then TLT from 7-6-5-4
                              WITB:

Comment

• Originally posted by ARL67 View Post
                                Nice Work ! Along with experiencing the benefits of TLT, you will also appreciate the quality of Dan's build, in that everything just "feels right" in your hands -> a product of Dan's measurements and consistency of build.

My numerous chats with Dan over the last 3-4 years have opened my eyes to other "non-traditional" ways of club spec/assembly. I believe the re-appearance of Single Length a couple years ago put another spotlight on that 1/2" increments and 0.5* lie angle increments might not be a universal-truth. Dan built me 3 sets over the last 4 years, and each set I tweaked a bit differently based on how I played/evolved with them, and what I think I could improve for MY game and MY swing. I'm planning my next set in the spring will be SL for 8-9-P-G-L, then TLT from 7-6-5-4
                                I will be assembling myself a SL set in the next little while and am going to look at 36 or 36.5 inches wedge(s) thru 7 iron and 36.5/37 in the 6/5/4.

my wedges in mt TLT set ( lw, sw, gw, pw) are all same length at just over 36 now , my 9 and 8i pretty close i n length. I need to reshaft them as i built the set almost 8 years ago and its too stiff for me now.

Have used same length ( and lie) wedges thru 9 for a while now and highly recommend it for improved consistency.
                                "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                                X