No announcement yet.
Collapse

What my TLT set looks like...

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My SL set has had a "hair" of variance added in by Dan to address some of the short comings of the SL design (I do LOVE SL right now.. still).

I added a 6 iron into the set but it's soft stepped a tad and .10" longer then the other irons. You can barely see the difference but those two little changes let me get the ball in the air better (at least in the sim so far anyway).

My 58* wedge is a tad shorter to keep it in line with my previous TLT wedge build and also just to maintain a similar head weight.

Overall I love the irons and I don't see me changing anytime in the coming future.
    Bag: PING Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Floral
    Driver: TM SIM2 MAX @ 10.5*
    Wood: TM SIM2 MAX @ 15*
    Hybrids: TM SIM2 22*
    Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW
    Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60*
    Putter: SGC WB Northwood
    Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Comment

• Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

I will be assembling myself a SL set in the next little while
      Hope i'm not intruding much by asking if you have decided on the head model, and where to get them from ?
      Thanks and cheers !
      Last edited by veryold; Feb 1, 2018, 09:04 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by veryold View Post
        Hope i'm not intruding much by asking if you have decided on the head model, and where to get them from ?
        Thanks and cheers !
        Not at all.

simply based on price I decided to go with the Pinhawks( which were the first company to come out with SL in this most recent 2nd recarnation of the concept) . I do prefer the look and design of the Wishon Sterling , demoed and really liked them and they performed great but at 5x the price. So will have "standard" length, TLT and SL irons to play with and compare this season
        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

• Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

Not at all.

simply based on price I decided to go with the Pinhawks( which were the first company to come out with SL in this most recent 2nd recarnation of the concept) . I do prefer the look and design of the Wishon Sterling , demoed and really liked them and they performed great but at 5x the price. So will have "standard" length, TLT and SL irons to play with and compare this season
          Hey, THANKS for such kind and quick reply
          Oh, i'd love to hear more about your effort to play and compare the three technologies you mentioned.
          I'm tinkering of buying just one of the Pinhawk or Integra SL heads (something like a GW) and put it together with a graphite shaft (maybe 38") and see what happens.
          Cheers and ATB.
          Last edited by veryold; Feb 1, 2018, 10:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jburns View Post
            My SL set has had a "hair" of variance added in by Dan to address some of the short comings of the SL design (I do LOVE SL right now.. still).

I added a 6 iron into the set but it's soft stepped a tad and .10" longer then the other irons. You can barely see the difference but those two little changes let me get the ball in the air better (at least in the sim so far anyway).

My 58* wedge is a tad shorter to keep it in line with my previous TLT wedge build and also just to maintain a similar head weight.

Overall I love the irons and I don't see me changing anytime in the coming future.
            IMO, TLT's greatest benefit over SL is that they allow the use of a wide range of (usually forged) heads. versus being limited to available SL heads. TLT is an exercise in geometry and as I've said before, SL is in the limit where the TLT length and lie angle deltas approach zero.

I've seen different rules of thumb for how much of a factor the difference in the length of an iron makes versus the difference in loft. I've seen 15% but let's say the difference is 20%, meaning the difference in length determines 20% of the carry distance difference between adjacent irons. Let's then say the length difference between adjacent irons is 1/2" and the carry difference is 10 yards. With 20% or 2 yards due to the 1/2" difference in length, the carry difference component attributable to the difference in length is 4 yards per 1" of club length difference.

That would mean the added length of 0.1" on your 6-iron provides 0.4 yards of added carry. Swing variability would make that virtually impossible to differentiate and I'm guessing that soft-stepping has much more potential to have an impact on launch angle and carry.
            WITB: clubs, balls, tees, Advil and a candlestick (just in case)

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
            X