Collapse

Reshafting Ping Non-Ferrule Irons

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reshafting Ping Non-Ferrule Irons

I'm interested if anyone has any useful tips for reshafting Ping irons which don't have ferrules (i15 and earlier, g30 and earlier). I've done it in the past but there have been several challenges:

1) The first is to get the shaft properly centred because even when the shaft is fully inserted into the hosel there is a fair amount of wiggle room at the top of the hosel. I don't like using shafting beads and have tried placing a very thin band of masking tape (2-3mm wide) around the shaft just below where the shaft exits the hosel. That seems to work, but just wondering what others are doing.

2) The second is how to get the right amount of epoxy to get that nice looking Ping factory finish. I always seem to apply a bit too much and then its a challenge to wipe away the right amount to get a nice clean look.

Any advice or tips are appreciated. One final question. I assume that once I reshaft the irons myself Ping probably won't do any more lie adjustments for me - am I correct?

Re: Reshafting Ping Non-Ferrule Irons

Originally posted by TommyJ View Post
    I'm interested if anyone has any useful tips for reshafting Ping irons which don't have ferrules (i15 and earlier, g30 and earlier). I've done it in the past but there have been several challenges:

1) The first is to get the shaft properly centred because even when the shaft is fully inserted into the hosel there is a fair amount of wiggle room at the top of the hosel. I don't like using shafting beads and have tried placing a very thin band of masking tape (2-3mm wide) around the shaft just below where the shaft exits the hosel. That seems to work, but just wondering what others are doing.

2) The second is how to get the right amount of epoxy to get that nice looking Ping factory finish. I always seem to apply a bit too much and then its a challenge to wipe away the right amount to get a nice clean look.

Any advice or tips are appreciated. One final question. I assume that once I reshaft the irons myself Ping probably won't do any more lie adjustments for me - am I correct?
    Pretty sure they will still adjust; the 'life time' service is on the heads only; you could have had the shafts replaced by a dealer for all they know. Can't help with the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by TommyJ View Post

Curious why you don't like shafting beads? The wiggle room you mention is exactly what they are intended for and they work wonderfully to rectify your issue. Most people use too many /too much, not sure if this is your problem or not but they are very simple and I've never found a reason to not like using them.

I suppose a bit more drastic solution is : The top inside diameter of the Heads should be approximately .370 . Your shafts should also be .370 except for the distal inch or so which is the tapered section.....perhaps measure the shaft diameter at the same distance up from the tip then another say 1/4 inch higher. If the fit will be tighter at that higher point just lop off 1/4 inch from the tip if you have the capacity to accomodate on the butt end. It should still fit tightly and won't make an appreciable difference to flex or launch.

Have not experienced the issue with not getting a nice finish with the top of the iron hosel. You don't need alotbof epoxy, just roll the prepped tip in the epoxy, insert and twist as normal, a little flow over the top but shouldn't be much. Wipe away exess with a rotational and down motion and it should lave a nice smooth edge. Gravity should keep the epoxy down and level as it cures. Using black epoxy might help rid any of that clear epoxy look if you have a gap at the hosel top?

You CAN use ferrules if you like.

Good luck
      Last edited by Weirfan; Mar 21, 2017, 06:12 PM.
      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

For the epoxy just use one of the lysol wipes and clean the surface of the shaft.
        Only use a little as you don't want any excess to flow into the uncured epoxy.

A smidge of play is common,but you don't want the head loose as - if there is too big of a gap due to the diameter difference then the epoxy will likely fail. I'm with Weirfan and use a small amount of centering beads.
        Regards
        Dan

True Length Technology TM
        Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
        True Frequency Technology TM
        - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
        - Master
        Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
        - Advanced / Professional
        Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
        - Class 'A'

Comment

Don't know why you would not use shafting beads but that being said you could use drywall adhesive fiberglass tape as an alternative.

Peter. Wouldn't it be a pain to trim a ferrule at an angle to match the hosel's slant?

Comment

Originally posted by Tintin View Post
            Don't know why you would not use shafting beads but that being said you could use drywall adhesive fiberglass tape as an alternative.

Peter. Wouldn't it be a pain to trim a ferrule at an angle to match the hosel's slant?

It sure would be. I didn't realize they have an angled hosel top.

Ping sure mixes it up, eye 2 and others have level hosel top, i20 and i25 use ferrules, and ones like these with angled hosel top

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
              It sure would be. I didn't realize they have an angled hosel top.

Ping sure mixes it up, eye 2 and others have level hosel top, i20 and i25 use ferrules, and ones like these with angled hosel top
              Ping does it even one better with the i20 and i25, you need to get a specialized ferrule which has a sleeve like extension which goes inside the hosel, much like you would have on certain drivers. They had the same deal on the gorge wedges and of course the ferrules are sold separately for around $2 each. Of course you can just use a standard ferrule, but most of those are too big in diameter and then you have to deal with doing a good job of turning the ferrule.

Thanks for the feedback, you guys are right about the shafting beads. In the past I've always mixed up small batches of epoxy and then added too much of he beads. I should just buy a syringe of epoxy with shafting beads for this job.

Comment

$1.15 each at Golfworks

GolfWorks Canada is a fully stocked retail store specializing in golf club components, custom fittings and golf club repairs. We offer the largest selection of golf grips, shafts, heads and accessories in the industry.

Comment

Still pricey for ferrules and they are not really required, especially with steel shafts.

With graphite, Cone any sharp inside edges on the hosel top , ,,,,,,,,instead of collared ferrule use shaft beads or strips of the drywall mesh as discussed before and a standard ferrule.
                  Last edited by Weirfan; Mar 22, 2017, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                    Still pricey for ferrules and they are not really required, especially with steel shafts.

With graphite, Cone any sharp inside edges on the hosel top , ,,,,,,,,instead of collared ferrule use shaft beads or strips of the drywall mesh as discussed before and a standard ferrule.
                    I hear you. However as per the post above by TommyJ where he states his concern about 1-20 and 1-25 ferrules I would personally find it a lot simpler and a lot less messy to just purchase them instead of fooling with drywall tape and/or shafting beads to pick up the slack caused by the lack of ferrule inside the hosel.

Comment

I hear you. However as per the post above by TommyJ where he states his concern about 1-20 and 1-25 ferrules I would personally find it a lot simpler and a lot less messy to just purchase them instead of fooling with drywall tape and/or shafting beads to pick up the slack caused by the lack of ferrule inside the hosel.

Yes , you are correct

Comment

When I first posted this question I wasn't aware that Ping irons pinch in a bit at the bottom of the hosel. So when you install the shaft you apply the epoxy, insert the shaft as far as it will go, then turn the club over with the butt end towards the floor, hold the club by the head and firmly drive the butt end into the floor. This is best done on a concrete floor and will seat the shaft properly and centre it in the hosel. You have to make sure that you've cleaned out all the old epoxy so that this smaller diameter opening at the bottom of the hosel is exposed, its probably not more than 1mm in depth.

As far as getting the right amount of epoxy, its never going to look as clean as a Ping factory job. With a normal ferruled iron I always apply the epoxy to the shaft tip, but with my Ping irons I apply it to the inside of the hosel and more towards the bottom. I do this to avoid having epoxy spill over the top of the hosel and onto the exposed part of the shaft. You'll figure out on the first try how much epoxy you need, start out with a bit less, you can always add a dab more. When I insert the shaft I slowly turn it while moving it in and out of the hosel several times. The epoxy will then rise evenly around the shaft to just below the top of the hosel. Its at this point that I turn the club over and bang it on the floor to seat the shaft.

Also, Ping will still do lie angle adjustments, I checked with them. I think at this point they are still doing irons back to the i5, nothing before that.
                        Last edited by TommyJ; Jul 2, 2019, 04:52 AM.

Comment

Youtube video showing Ping tour van tech assembling i15 irons.

Get a behind the scenes look at how Ping builds its i15 Irons on their PGA Tour Van in Part One (Mixing the epoxy, Cutting down the shafts, Gripping the Club...

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                          X