Collapse

Frequency & CPM -

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frequency & CPM -

Quick Video on the proper use for a frequency machine and understanding CPM.

Nice explanation. Would have been interesting to actually see him use the machine though, to see how it works and what he does with it.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

I like the Youtube videos from "McGolf Custom Clubs" for club building instruction

🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
      Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
      Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
      Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway | Evenflow White 60S
      Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
      Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
      Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
      Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

The machine is good for making sure theres consistency following a certain slope .

It is not good for verifying flex of a shaft as we have now learned cpm (usually taken from the butt) can be very misleading. For some shafts. Like the Modus 120 for example. These shafts will FCM/CPM very low....for example your standard Dynamic Gold S300 is a 5.8 and X100 is 6.8 .Px is .5 higher then a stated flex. So the px 5.5(stiff) is 6.0 .6.0 (stiff+) is 6.5 and 6.5(xstiff) is 7.0.

With the modus 120 even in X flex i think it cycles at something like 5.5 or so..does it mean its not actually a stiff...no...it just means at the butt it is .Its why most fityers dont use frequency machines anymore for anything but ensuring the shafts follow a certain frequency slope but thats it. Instead more and more are moving to EI profiling software or machines. As it looks at the entire shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
          The machine is good for making sure theres consistency following a certain slope .

It is not good for verifying flex of a shaft as we have now learned cpm (usually taken from the butt) can be very misleading. For some shafts. Like the Modus 120 for example. These shafts will FCM/CPM very low....for example your standard Dynamic Gold S300 is a 5.8 and X100 is 6.8 .Px is .5 higher then a stated flex. So the px 5.5(stiff) is 6.0 .6.0 (stiff+) is 6.5 and 6.5(xstiff) is 7.0.

With the modus 120 even in X flex i think it cycles at something like 5.5 or so..does it mean its not actually a stiff...no...it just means at the butt it is .Its why most fityers dont use frequency machines anymore for anything but ensuring the shafts follow a certain frequency slope but thats it. Instead more and more are moving to EI profiling software or machines. As it looks at the entire shaft.
          It depends on what Modus you are looking at. The Modus 130X for example cycles out over 9.0 on the Rifle scale...I wouldn't say that is "cycling low" by any means. Tobybear's video is a good one, as it highlights the pros and cons to use a CPM machine and why you should only really use it for certain things. Far too many people are caught up in the "it has to measure exactly this or its junk" mentality.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
            .Its why most fityers dont use frequency machines anymore for anything but ensuring the shafts follow a certain frequency slope but thats it. Instead more and more are moving to EI profiling software or machines. As it looks at the entire shaft.
            As far as I know Wishon still uses a FM to profile shafts. They call it zone profiling. EI is probably better and faster but the older method still has its use. And a lot cheaper

Two shafts can have exactly the same overall butt frequency and yet have totally different playing characteristics. The stiffness profile can be accurately measured by a process called zone profiling. The process is pretty simple. It has been standardized by the PCS. Clamp a shaft so 41” is sticking out from the clamp (37” for an iron shaft). Since wood shafts are typically 46” long you will automatically have a 41” beam length. A 454 gram tip weight is attached to the tip. It has a through hole so it is flush with the tip of the shaft. The frequency is measured. The shaft is now slid 5” deeper into the clamp and the process is repeated until the beam length is down to 11”. The 7 data points, if plotted will look like an exponential increase in frequency. Two shafts may start out at the same frequency but at 11” they may be dramatically different. For instance one shaft brand might have a 41” reading of 180 cpm (due to the heavy tip weight) and an 11” frequency of 700 cpm. Another brand might have measurements of 180 and 850. These two might both be labeled R flex yet they will play totally different. One is designed for the slow swing with a slow tempo and an early release. The second is for the quicker tempo with a very late release. That is not to say one shaft is better than the other they are just designed for different swings. The only way to really determine the true characteristics of shaft is to profile it.
            Last edited by Tintin; Feb 20, 2018, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Exactly tintin. But he will frequency all 3 sections. Essentially getting an ei profile albeit slower.

And like chris said. The modus 130 will FCM out super high even in a stiff. The x stiff is crazy high yet it doesnt fee like rebar as one would assume because it has a softer tip section .

Both Px and Px LZ will frequency out the same at the butt .Actually iirc they made the LZ slightly stiffer. Yet i can tell you for me the regular px plays much stiffer to flex and id say Lz almost soft to flex.

Comment

This is why i us my True Frequency Technology which basically profiles a shaft and identifies if the tip section will be stiffer weaker.

To measure and identify the butt section by itself does very little to understand how the shaft will perform. The zones of mid and tip help identify how the shaft will perform.

TFT's main function was originally designed to sort a set of iron shafts by profiling. Once sorted the shafts can be organised from weakest to suggest which will promote higher ball flight in the long irons and lower ball flight in the short irons.

i've actually seen tip sections have 70 cycles difference when profiling a set of iron shafts - from a high end shaft manufacturer. This shaft got pulled from the build. This shaft would have caused the golfer to struggle as the release of this club would need to be different to all the rest.

Different clamp sizes, different clamp pressures, different weights, different machines ... all affect the readings. Even the FLO plane can very the readings.
                Regards
                Dan

True Length Technology TM
                Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
                True Frequency Technology TM
                - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
                - Master
                Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
                - Advanced / Professional
                Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
                - Class 'A'