Collapse

Golf Mechanix Tip Weight and FLO Tracer - shaft diameter range

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ManFromMoffat View Post
    At the risk of sounding stupid and/or lazy, I find virtually every link I've followed -- articles and videos -- to be mostly useless.

Again here's my take, described in an admittedly less-than-slick diagram.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	444
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	2748399

Can anyone give me a yes/no answer as to whether or not this is the proper approach for installing a FLO-ed shaft?
    yes, that's good.
    things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post

yes, that's good.
      Thanks for that yes/no answer! You and Weirfan were a couple of people I'd hoped would weigh in.
      WITB: clubs, balls, tees, Advil and a candlestick (just in case)

Comment

very simply, there is a Spine plane orientation(N1-N2) that is the 12-6 o'clock position, in other words from your address POV, it runs from toe to heel.
        Next we have the NBP (neutral bend point) plane orientation which is the 9-3 o'clock position, which puts the clubface face at 9 o'clock pointing down the target line.

the Spine and the NBP are both stable planes meaning that the laser will F.L.O(in a straight line) in both of those planes.

in high quality graphite shafts the CPM difference in either plane will be minimal ,meaning the shaft can be installed in any position, and will work at its optimum.

A 2 cpm difference(1/4 flex) is considered very minor difference in flex, and one that most players will not feel.
        A 5cpm is 1/2 flex and can be noticed.
        A 10 cpm difference is 1 complete flex difference, meaning Regular from a Stiff, or a Stiff from an X flex.
        Hope this helps a bit.
        It's almost pointless to pursue this with adjustable hosels because any adjustment would knock the FLO orientation off.
        Thanks again!

So without actually finding the spine(s), A FLO-ed shaft could indicate the Spine or NBP. I will probably be able to get my shafts spined prior to FLO-ing them and so it will be interesting to see where things net out. And your point about adjustable clubs is also well-taken.
        WITB: clubs, balls, tees, Advil and a candlestick (just in case)

Comment

Originally posted by ManFromMoffat View Post

Thanks again!

I will probably be able to get my shafts spined prior to FLO-ing them and so it will be interesting to see where things net out.
          BL8D summed it up well but I wouldn't bother with having them spined in a spinefinder.

Comment

I use a 3-jaw Jacobs Chuck at 205.0 grams, a mini laser pointer and 2 wooden clothes pins epoxied back-to-back-flipped as the laser holder.

Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
            Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
            Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

A 10 cpm difference is 1 complete flex difference, meaning Regular from a Stiff, or a Stiff from an X flex.
              Hope this helps a bit.
              It's almost pointless to pursue this with adjustable hosels because any adjustment would knock the FLO orientation off.
              I have a graphite shaft with a frequency differential of 15 cpm on 2 planes.

Find the final hosel adjustment which works (and no further adjustments), then realign for FLO down the target line.

Comment

Originally posted by TourIQ View Post
                I have a graphite shaft with a frequency differential of 15 cpm on 2 planes.

Find the final hosel adjustment which works (and no further adjustments), then realign for FLO down the target line.
                bolded- that's a super spine shaft and fine to demo FLO at different cpm,but useless for play.

yes,once you find a shaft's optimum FLO alignment, you epoxy the adjustable tip on so that in the neutral setting, the clubface points at target.

problem is, the neutral setting is not alway the optimum for every player. That's why, if you are going to play an adjustable type club, you should start with a premium shaft whose orientation is void of any measurable spine, or very close to being free of a measurable spine. That way you are free to play with the loft and lie options that are a feature of an adjustable club.

things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

bolded- that's a super spine shaft and fine to demo FLO at different cpm,but useless for play.
                  Some golf shaft researchers (SpineTalker Forum) were of the theory that a Super Shaft once aligned was golden, since it was so stable it was like a train riding the tracks.

For years, guys were winning the ReMax Long Drive Championship with sheet wrapped graphite, which I suspect approached Super Shaft category.

Comment

Harry, I vaguely recall the talk, and it centered around one particular make of shaft of that period.(AJTech)

A large spine is not something you necessarily want to find. It's the "hole" in the pair of favourite socks. The decision of where to wear it, your right foot or on your left, became consuming.
                    It even messed up a good working relationship with the two founders of SSTPure. One wanted it Hard to Target the other 12 to 6. They parted, leaving us with Dick Weiss and his SSTPure and I don't know what his is.

For hobbyist the working mantra became laser defined FLO, mostly because it was the cheapest, easiest and most dependable method to find the best shaft performance alignment. Except you still needed an expensive CPM meter to differentiate the frequency between the two stable planes. If you had one, it was a simple matter of aligning the softest stable plane to Target, leaving the stiffest plane to minimize the toe droop. The idea being that the softest plane would whip the ball to target, while the stiffest plane, controlling the toe droop, would guarantee a consistent contact point on the face.

Eventually the working answer came from the shaft makers. They improved both the methods and the materials to make premium quality, " 99.44 %", round shafts with absolute minimal spine. The timing that this coincided with the advent of adjustable heads was/is fortunate.

Russ Ryden of Fit2Score calls this improved shaft building process one of building to a Radial Consistency.

things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Eventually the working answer came from the shaft makers. They improved both the methods and the materials to make premium quality, " 99.44 %", round shafts with absolute minimal spine. The timing that this coincided with the advent of adjustable heads was/is fortunate.

Russ Ryden of Fit2Score calls this improved shaft building process one of building to a Radial Consistency.

How can you have a Radial Consistency in a shaft at 100.2%?
                      I still haven't found a graphite shaft that doesn't exhibit some degree to want to wobble vs. FLO.

Comment

Harry, where did you get the 100.2 from?
                        FLO remains the gold standard for the optimum performance alignment of a golf shaft.
                        but
                        at 99.44% a golf shaft,while not ivory pure(d) throughout its range of orientation, comes very close, and is very suited to the adapter styled heads.
                        things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Harry, where did you get the 100.2 from?
                          FLO remains the gold standard for the optimum performance alignment of a golf shaft.
                          but
                          at 99.44% a golf shaft,while not ivory pure(d) throughout its range of orientation, comes very close, and is very suited to the adapter styled heads.
                          bl8d scroll down to the spec's on the 9th shaft down (Matrix Ozik Altus hX3White Tie) at http://fit2score.com/blog/?cat=6

Is it possible to record a reading of 100.2%?

Comment

Originally posted by TourIQ View Post
                            bl8d scroll down to the spec's on the 9th shaft down (Matrix Ozik Altus hX3White Tie) at http://fit2score.com/blog/?cat=6

Is it possible to record a reading of 100.2%?
                            I didn't notice that anomaly, and yes, that number is an outlier, even if Ryden has great confidence in that particular shaft

The point remains, that a shaft with minimal spine showing is the best option for a variable head design.
                            things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Nowadays it probably does not matter:

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...