• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome article

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
      Dan i dont disagree completely .

However ive been to ping oakville and have spoke with fitters there. Also a friend and coworker of mine is friends with britney (Brookes sister and caddy)

Brooke has been fit...she actually plays best with her driver the way it is...part of it is habit. Theyve tried fitting her to a shorter driver with poor results.

As for the putter i am sure she didnt willy nilly pick it. Im sure theres reasons why she was fit into that. Maybe it causes her to align properly who knows.

But she was 100% fit for her clubs.
      WOW, i'm really getting confused about "FITTING" now: Is fitting supposed to fit a player based on their physical or psychological parameters

P.S. And reading the Golfwrx article, it feels that the same question may be asked about Golf Instructions, no ?
      Last edited by veryold; Apr 16, 2018, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post

WOW, i'm really getting confused about "FITTING" now: Is fitting supposed to fit a player based on physical or psychological parameters
        Both. You fit them to their physical needs to improve dispersion and distance. You then put on your psychologists hat and talk them back off the ledge, that they don't in fact need that X-flex tipped 2" like their best friend's cousin told them they needed. I've had to do the last part less and less the past year. It seems that with the ubiquity of "get fit" being hammered into people's heads, the public is actually starting to trust that someone who works at a golf store, and you are paying for their time and experience, they actually do know what they are talking about.

At the end of the day though, fitting is about making a person comfortable enough to hit the shots they want to hit. I've fit people into clubs that are supposedly too long, supposedly too short, too stiff, too soft, too upright, too flat, you name it because they just flat out perform. I wouldn't be doing my job correctly if I refused to budge on what is "right" and what isn't. The most important thing is a) the person's feel and b) followed very closely by the delivered metrics at the point of impact. If the club feels good to the person and the strike point and impact metrics are perfect giving the person the shot they want, then it makes no difference to me what the club is at the end of the day.

Comment

Just watching the golf channel and their golf channel contributor Ron Sirak stated 'Brooke had a hickup in her 3'rd round with 35 putts and a painful 4 putt double bogey on 16.

Still room for improvement in my eyes. Maybe she should try putting like Michelle Wie and her style last year. I suppose that was a professional fitting as well.
          Last edited by TLT Dan; Apr 16, 2018, 08:49 AM.
          Regards
          Dan

True Length Technology TM
          Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
          True Frequency Technology TM
          - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
          - Master
          Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
          - Advanced / Professional
          Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
          - Class 'A'

Comment

Originally posted by TLT Dan View Post
            Still room for improvement in my eyes. Maybe she should try putting like Michelle Wie and her style last year. I suppose that was a professional fitting as well.
            Everyone slagging Brooke's putting in the LOTTE Championship at Ko Olina ... you do realize she won the tournament by 4 shots, right? You'd think from the comments that she missed the cut.

Comment

Thanks for this. It is a real gem.
              Actually, may i suggest to you to start a separate thread on it - it has some, IMHO fundamental thoughts on the golf teaching and golf swing in general. I would do it, but it's your discovery, so i don't want to be an "opportunist" here
              THANKS and CHEERS !
              Last edited by veryold; Apr 16, 2018, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by smc66 View Post

Everyone slagging Brooke's putting in the LOTTE Championship at Ko Olina ... you do realize she won the tournament by 4 shots, right? You'd think from the comments that she missed the cut.
                No question, she is a bit of a phenom and I am 100% a Brooke supporter. Love to see her win and she is certainly doing that at a high pace.

My comments are about improvement and there is room when 50% of her shots on round 3 were putts. There is not a professional golfer on the planet that would be happy with this.

Yes it may have just been a hiccup but errors like this have cost many players the tournament.

Go Brooke.
                Last edited by TLT Dan; Apr 16, 2018, 06:58 PM.
                Regards
                Dan

True Length Technology TM
                Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
                True Frequency Technology TM
                - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
                - Master
                Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
                - Advanced / Professional
                Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
                - Class 'A'

Comment

Everything I have heard about her putting is that it's mental. No amount of fitting is going to change that. It's great we are all armchair coaches but in the end, she's got 6 wins before her 21st birthday so I'll leave it to her team to figure out what's best for Brooke.
                  MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
                    Thanks for this A real gem.
                    Actually, may i suggest to you to start a separate thread on it - it has some, IMHO fundamental thoughts on the golf teaching and golf swing in general. I would do it, but it's your discovery, so i don't want to be an "opportunist" here
                    THANKS and CHEERS !
                    Go for it!!

Comment

How convienent the things we profess which matter are generally always the same input characteristics we measure with the tools at hand, like the new high-tech camera systems employed by the premier fitting studios.

Like everyone else, I'm not taking anything away from Brooke's amazing list of personal accomplishments, with 6 wins and a Major under her belt by the age of 21 - boardering on greatness.
                      Every professional player in the world can be improved, but they choose to surround themselves with the same BoK as the other players, so no distinct competitive advantage to themselves.

I do not care how consistent a professional is (vs. an amateur), even with a swing fault or two, they can always be made to be even more repeatable, and lower their competitive stroke average.
                      This does not mean the final Px would be a Lie Angle of Standard, as it might be determined that Player Optimization for this particular athlete might indeed be an Upright putter lie angle.
                      They would know the individual effect of Upright Lie vs. Standard Lie and how much this contributes to their overall putting success, and this breeds confidence, knowing the WHY and the individual EFFECT of each variable.

To do it right, for a calibre of a player like Brooke, I would consider advanced tools such as VOC / DFSS / DMAIC / DOE / EVOP / etc.:
                      - Start with a Player Interview, how she practices putting, past Lessons Learned, and what are her putting goals
                      - A review of past putters and unique designs to determine Voice of the Customer (VOC) - what instills confidence
                      - Measure and determine the specifications of her last 6 putters, determine a rating scheme for each past putter
                      - Have Brooke do specific putting drills to gather data on putters and degree of repeatability to determine baseline
                      - Use Design of Experiments (DOE) with fractional factorial designs to determine robustness and Response Optimization
                      Inputs would not be limited to just fitting parameters, it would also evaluate swing mechanics (fault vs. no fault)
                      - Based on VOC / DFSS / DOE principles, and the resulting data, then design Brooke a new Ping putter suited only to her
                      - Get about 30 custom Ping heads made to varying specifications of the same design to determine her final specifications
                      - Her putting confidence (know what works and why) would soar like no other professional golfer on this planet

I designed the above approach summarized on 1 page back in 2007. Very comprehensive Game Plan vs. the traditional 2-hour limited fitting.
                      The same approach could be used the following year to her Wedges, then the irons, etc. Over several years, she would be virtually unstoppable.

There are few short-cuts to greatness. Leave it to chance and hope you have the raw talent, or take the opportunity and make it your own.
                      If Brooke wants to excell like no other LPGA player past or present, she has the talent to be this player to completely dominate in golf.
                      Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
                      Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
                      Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Thanks Tour, I needed that.

Comment

Originally posted by Left behind View Post
                          Thanks Tour, I needed that.
                          "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                          ...Iggy

Comment

Did it go in? She's fine, just fine.
                            Attached Files
                            things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
                              Did it go in? She's fine, just fine.
                              If the goal is to win some tournaments, and lose many others, then yes the current path is 'just fine'.

On the surface you are without a doubt 100% bang on based on 'conventional wisdom', but if the goal for an elite athlete is to increase the probability of improving their god given talent with a distinct competitive advantage guided by 'profound innovation', then Post #25 does provide the roadmap/guideance towards achieving greatness in their chosen sport. Generally the decisions they make, limit their true potential.

Dek what I stated is not meant to be disrespectful, just an opposing point of view, as you are probably the smartest guy on this forum.

I also understand what I presented in Post #25 can be applied to many other sports by a national Olympic committee, in consultation with SMEs in academia, to increase their medal count long term and dominate on the world stage, although the West would never try to understand or adopt what I have proposed, although a country like Japan might for an obvious reason from the early 50's.

A few years ago, I was contacted by a multiple World Champion in Archery, and he was doing some of the more advanced techniques which I laid out. As a Black Belt, he was dominating the world stage, since he blended a proven Deming/TQM based Six Sigma methodology (from business) to his chosen sport. How intimidating for his competitors, who never understood his 'deck of cards', and generally competed for 2nd, or the 1st loser.
                              Last edited by TourIQ; Apr 27, 2018, 12:47 AM.
                              Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
                              Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
                              Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Harry I understand that "as a Black Belt" is a reference to his Six Sigma standing, and
                                there is no doubt in my mind that a proper, measured ,approach to identifying an inefficiency does lead to better results. After all, that what fitters and custom fitting is all about.

Archery was a side activity of my wife and I, and I'm miffed to admit she was better at it. Maybe because her 35lb target tuned recurve was custom built for her, whereas my macho 55lb hunting recurve was an expensive "off the shelf" that fit my eye.

I always look forward to and enjoy gleaning the info from yours and a few other posters, and I try to keep an open mind to that I am faintly acquainted with. Keep posting and never-mind the bile that's sometimes spilled here. Cheers.
                                things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X