Collapse

Complimentary TXG Fitting At Burlington May 11 to June 14

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
    The biggest thing that truly impressed upon me with chris was that he had no quams saying "youre current setup is best we cant make it any better"

Mind you this goes for all at txg. They really do have a pressure free customer first approach
    Same when Ian worked with me when I had my driver fitting, he basically said "So Nino what's wrong again?" LOL, I have history of snapping several shafts and was concerned the one I'm gaming right now is not the right one that's why I went for a fitting. We've tried several combos but it all went back to my current setup. Ian suggested really small proposals that might make it a little more better but that's about it. I love coming to TXG as the place is so relax and makes you feel at home, way to go guys!
    Cobra King F7
    Cobra Bio Cell+ 12.5
    Cobra Bio Cell+ 16*
    Cobra Amp Pro 6-AW + KBS C-Tapers S
    Cobra Tour Trusty Dual (56/60)
    Bettinardi Studio 6

Comment

Did a fitting with Chris. Really enjoyed the experience and was very happy ending up with the P790's. I could not believe the gain in both distance and accuracy over my Rocketbladez. Chris does a great job - while making the whole experience fun and rewarding.

Comment

Had my fitting with Chris back on May 30. Been away for a week so a little bit late in posting my thanks, both to Chris for making it a relaxed experience and also to TXG for offering the complimentary fittings.

I was fit at Ping back in 2013. They do a good job, but I found the TXG experience much more useful. I got way more information about my swing, was able to try irons from different manufacturers and had access to a much broader spectrum of shafts. Highly recommended for anyone wanting to get the most out of their next equipment purchase.

Comment

Had my first fitting ever with Chris at TXG Toronto last week...it was an eye opening experience and highly recommended for anyone who has never done a fitting session.

We did an iron fitting and my wallet will be alittle lighter with new Ping G700's replacing my 10 year old Callaway X20's. Chris had me try the Rogue, Z565, PXG, G700 in different shaft combo's. It will be interesting for me to see how the new irons perform in real course conditions. Can't wait for my driver fitting. Thanks again Chris and TXG for the promo and informative high handicap videos.

Comment

TommyJ Those Srixon Z565s were point and shoot for you. Let me know when you want to come back in to try the Z585 and the Modus 130 again.

tywl I'm glad we got to hit those. I don't think you missed the sweetspot once with those all session, and they blend in perfectly distance wise with your hybrid. I'm looking forward to the driver session as well, I think we might be able to help optimize you a touch more.

Playthru That pickup on the P790 was ridiculous. Probably the longest distance increase I have seen by just manipulating a shaft. That Project X 5.5 really suited you for whatever reason, and the extremely tightened dispersion wasn't so bad either!

Thanks for coming in, everyone. It's been a blast!

Comment

I have now played several rounds with the P790 and have communicated feedback to Chris. I am hitting all my clubs really well right now so in a good position to evaluate the clubs.

The distance gain we saw in the fitting has not materialized in reality. I am not sure why. I would say I am hitting all the irons about the same distance as my Rocketbladez. I do like the feel of the forged and I believe I have gained some accuracy. I also see lower ball flight with the P790 - however, they still check on the green so not an issue and actually an advantage in the wind.

I got a 4 iron with this set - which I have not used for years. I am hitting it well, especially off the tee on par 3's. I like the accuracy of the 4 iron versus the hybrid I used before.

Overall, I am pleased with my purchase and I enjoyed the fitting experience with Chris.

I would like to know how one can see a 15 yard gain with a 6 iron on the simulator and not have it translate in reality. This is not a complaint - more scientific curiosity. Any ideas?

Comment

Playthru

Real world conditions vs outdoors. Slight wind etc?
                could be that you catch the ball ever so slightly fat (like less that half an inch before the ball) if this is the case. Mats will mask this where as grass wont. Causing a bigger loss of ball speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
                  Playthru

Real world conditions vs outdoors. Slight wind etc?
                  could be that you catch the ball ever so slightly fat (like less that half an inch before the ball) if this is the case. Mats will mask this where as grass wont. Causing a bigger loss of ball speed.
                  I was wondering about the mats. However, I would think I would catch both sets of irons the same would I not?

Comment

Originally posted by Playthru View Post
                    I was wondering about the mats. However, I would think I would catch both sets of irons the same would I not?
                    Yes, you would think it would affect both sets of irons. It is strange that you saw a significant increase when you were fitted, with a direct comparison to your old irons. But now after many rounds, you don't see any difference in distance. That is strange.

No doubt mats vs course can be different, depending on the mat and your swing, but you would think that if you compare two sets of clubs on the same surface you will get a fair comparison of the two sets.

Found this interesting discussion of Mats vs Grass and ball data differences:
                    https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...ata-difference
                    Includes a link to one fitter's test with a 2-handicap golfer, which found one particular mat (Real Feel) significantly lowered measured spin versus grass.. In the thread, other posters say other mats have less difference vs measurements on grass. Also in discussions vs grass, and some posted that dense mats (like Real Feel) actually are less forgiving in terms of loss of on distance for slightly fat hits.(so they are good for practicing),
                    Last edited by multimut; Jul 28, 2018, 09:21 AM.

Comment

I have now played several rounds with the P790 and have communicated feedback to Chris. I am hitting all my clubs really well right now so in a good position to evaluate the clubs.

The distance gain we saw in the fitting has not materialized in reality. I am not sure why. I would say I am hitting all the irons about the same distance as my Rocketbladez. I do like the feel of the forged and I believe I have gained some accuracy. I also see lower ball flight with the P790 - however, they still check on the green so not an issue and actually an advantage in the wind.

I got a 4 iron with this set - which I have not used for years. I am hitting it well, especially off the tee on par 3's. I like the accuracy of the 4 iron versus the hybrid I used before.

Overall, I am pleased with my purchase and I enjoyed the fitting experience with Chris.

I would like to know how one can see a 15 yard gain with a 6 iron on the simulator and not have it translate in reality. This is not a complaint - more scientific curiosity. Any ideas?
                      Using a scientific model,
                      I would hypothesize the variance between both studies could be environmental...

Simulator (closed/controlled environment) vs Reality (open/uncontrolled environment)

The simulator environment remains constant/ideal.

Examples:
                      - Lie: Synthetic grass mat, level
                      - Elevation diversity: Level
                      - Altitude: Neutral relative to sea level
                      - Weather: Neutral
                      - Swing: Repetitive swings utilizing same club

Reality has many variables effecting outcome.

Examples:
                      - Lie/Turf interaction: Uneven lies, real grass/terrain (fairway, rough, sand, dirt, mud)
                      - Elevation diversity: Shot origin and target elevation are seldom equal
                      - Altitude: Atmospheric pressure, air density
                      - Weather: Wind, temp, humidity
                      - Swing inconsistencies from day to day and club to club: Timing/rhythm, speed, path, angle of decent, face angle, delivered loft, strike
                      - Golf ball: Do you play with the same brand/model of ball or a variety of different balls? Was the same ball used in the simulator as the one you actually play with?

Footnote:
                      I recently brought a vintage muscle back 7 iron (proper blade with traditional/weak loft) to the range for fun. Surprisingly, even with a slippery worn grip and little to no "forgiveness", I was able to achieve comparable distance with better dispersion. Has me considering swapping out to blades at least in the higher lofted clubs. Granted I was swinging well that day and was finding the middle of the club face consistently.

Conclusion:

Click image for larger version  Name:	2ev10p.jpg Views:	1 Size:	48.5 KB ID:	2834582

In all seriousness though, have you tried comparing old vs new at the range? Maybe try hitting 10-15 balls with one of your old clubs paying attention to distance/dispersion then repeat with the same club from the new set and compare. Do you still see corresponding results?

This season I swapped my Nike Vapor 3 iron with a TM 790 3 iron and have noticed an a slight increase in real world distance. It's not drastic but it evens out the gap between my fairway wood and 4 iron, which was the goal. Great driving iron and some added forgiveness off the grass is a nice bonus. Happy with the change thus far.

+1 rep for the fellas at TXG
                      Last edited by Ruska; Jul 28, 2018, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Increased Resistance off turf/dirt.

Inertia, and Newton's 3rd law come into play. I'll let the engineers here chime in on that.

the friction off the mat's nylon fibers is less than it would be off turf/dirt.. The upside of more friction off turf is that the ball's dwell time on the face is marginally higher and will allow more shot control.

shallow your AoA off turf to see if that will make a distance difference for you.
                        things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Remember theres no debris on a mat.

The difference between mats and the course is only relevant if youre not catching all of the ball first. I.e in the rough and or slightly fat.

If youre fractionally fat on a mat the clubs bounce will skip it into the ball retaining much of its speed if only marginally fat.

Real grass the bounce saves u from digging but the club doesnt skip it gets slowed down a touch and dirt and grass get between the ball and face further reducing ball speed.

Comment

You should all watch TXG’s video on turf vs grass. Short story, they saw no difference in a side by side comparison when using a quality mat (ie the ones they use for fitting). So who is right?

Comment

If you have doubts about the performance of the club just shoot TXG an email. In their video, they mentioned free concierge service with the purchase of every club. Maybe the lie and lift of the club was a bit off for whatever reason.

Note: If you have doubts that its grass or mat just tee up your ball. then see if you are still 15 yard short

Comment

Originally posted by Gridiron View Post
                                You should all watch TXG’s video on turf vs grass. Short story, they saw no difference in a side by side comparison when using a quality mat (ie the ones they use for fitting). So who is right?
                                That was one of their few videos i disagreed with. They used a very good player with good fairway lies.

get a mid or high cap and the difference is noticeable. Theres plenty of literature and science and videos showing otherwise.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X