/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Heavier, more flexible shafts for quick tempo swing?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Phatchrisrules View Post

Same thing for shaft profile, that's really hard to figure out without seeing you swing it. However, if you fade the ball, the counterbalanced HZRDUS Yellow is the worst shaft in the world for you.

Chris
    EDIT (no mind, just noticed you already did!)

Hey Chris,

Thanks for sharing your insights as always - can you explain what a counterbalanced shaft is (or backweighted for that matter?). Sounds like its making the shaft play lighter by changing balance point?

P

Comment

Originally posted by petvan View Post

EDIT (no mind, just noticed you already did!)

Hey Chris,

Thanks for sharing your insights as always - can you explain what a counterbalanced shaft is (or backweighted for that matter?). Sounds like its making the shaft play lighter by changing balance point?

P
      Counterbalancing is a general term just meaning there is more weight towards the butt end of the shaft. While probably not entirely correct, I use it synonymously with backweighting or "butt stiff" shafts. All of that translates to more weight towards the back of the shaft to make the swing weight a bit lighter. It has the dual benefit of making it harder to rotate your hands over.

duffer_mcmulligan The P790 is an excellent choice. The DG105 R300 is also a good shaft, it's light enough and about the right weight range for your swing speed. Good fit there.
      Last edited by Phatchrisrules; Apr 10, 2019, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Phatchrisrules View Post

duffer_mcmulligan The P790 is an excellent choice. The DG105 R300 is also a good shaft, it's light enough and about the right weight range for your swing speed. Good fit there.
        Thanks! Looking forward to getting the clubs in hand. It was remarkable the speed off the face and the tighter dispersion, even with a frankly horrid set of swings. Appreciate your comments as well, but the proof was in the testing.

It was interesting, I watched your fitting of the “high handicapper” (name escapes me) for a driver yesterday while riding my stationary bike. With the proper setup, he gained around 75 or 80 yards, which blew me away. But the ball speed difference I witnessed in my testing was similar with the right club. Not that I wanted to gain distance, just to get better accuracy. But if the P790’s are as good as what I saw, once I dial in the new yardages, it should help a lot....
        Ping G430 9*, Ping Tour Chrome 65g Reg flex
        Ping G430 Max 3w and 5w, 75g Ping Tour Chrome Reg flex
        Ping G430 Max 22* Hybrid 85g Ping tour Max Reg flex
        TM P790 irons, 5-AW, DG R300U 105gm
        Ping Glide 54/12 and 58/08 wedges
        Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 33”​

Comment

Update: pulled the trigger on the Rogue 3w and 5w with the Evenflow 75 gram Reg flex and the Rogue 4H w/Aldila Rogue Black 85 HYB Graphite, Regular flex as well.

Taking a bit of a leap of faith, but we don’t have these shafts in the cart for a fitting, and the shaft weight progression fits between current driver and irons. So kind of using some logic...and a dash of hope......

Had the driver cut down to 44 3/4” , so will rebalance the head, initially with lead tape at the back then with Callaway weights when they arrive. If the shafts in the fairway woods work out, then I’ll get Maltby to build up an Evenflow 65 gm Reg flex in the appropriate length to try in it if the Frankenshaft doesn’t work out.

Next time I get to the COTU, I am looking up TXG for a proper driver fitting. I need to experience them. I am loving their videos. Learning a ton as well...

Comment

Picked up the irons today. As it happened, our lower grass range also opened. So I peeled the wrappers off the heads and hi-tailed it for the lower range and some hitting.

Warmed up with my 52* gap wedge, which is dead on 100 yards. Then moved up through the irons from AW (50*) to the 5i.

Lower range is flat, and while flagged every 25-50 yards, getting exact on distances is tough to eyeball. But impressions after hitting 5 -8 with each:

All are hot and long.

AW: feels OK, might come in averaging 110 yards, my old PW.

PW: 125-140. Big range. Will need work.

9i: 140 ish, maybe up to 150. Feels long.

8i: 160, old 8 was 145-155. Some were longer.

7i. No idea. Getting out there. 170-175 maybe

6i: up to 190. One may have been 200

5i: 190+, a few over 200 I think.

Gonna spend a couple hours with Leo on Trackman dialing them in next week.

DG R300 105 gram shafts feel awesome. I was really focusing on slowing down and swinging smoothly and good contact is really rewarded. Feels like the ball really pops off the longer irons especially.

The Rogues better hurry up!

Comment

o so I got the 3 and 5 woods with the Evenflow 75 gm shafts. The Rogue hybrid with an 85 gm Reg flex as well. The new 44” Evenflow 65 gm driver shaft, all with MCC +4 regular grips. Swapped out the 2 gm weights in the FW woods for 8gm. Feels awesome. The Epic SZ driver, got rid of the 2 and 12 gm weights and replaced with 7 and 17. Feels like a hammer. Buddy has a swingweight scale, so I’ll dial things more accurately a little later. Added a little lead tape to my wedges thru 9i. Liking all changes. Swing is slowing down, and contact much better when it works. Also getting through the ball better. Driver, when hit square is back to 280-290.

Yardages, still a work in progress, but look like:

3w: 230-245 ( up 10 or so)
              5w: 215-225, same
              21* hybrid: 200-210
              5i 185-200
              6i: 175-185
              7i: 165-175
              8i: 155-165
              9i: 135-145
              PW: 120-130
              AW: 105-115
              52*: 90-100
              58*: 65-70

Still figuring out, but haven’t had a chance to do the Trackman on the range yet

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse