Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TLT For Taller Men

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TLT For Taller Men

Hi all,

I was in Oshawa for work two weeks ago and since I was in the area I got in touch with Dan based on recommendations from members of this forum.

To start, Iím not a tiny man. Iím 6í3 and not very flexible. Iíve always felt like Iím uncomfortably bending over to hit my irons. Contact with Dan was easy, I sent him a PM on here and he got back to me promptly. We arranged a late afternoon time but my work appointment ended by noon. I sent a text to Dan and he was able to accommodate me much earlier.

Now to the actual fitting. I was in for a retrofit as I had purchased some TaylorMade M4ís from a member here. When I arrived Dan first asked me about my favourite clubs to hit, the distance I hit with the clubs and my average score. We then went outside where Dan brought several of his small sets out. First I swung my own clubs and Dan showed me how unathletic my position was at address and had me pay attention to how much customer I had to dip in my swing to get the club to the ground. I then swung the same clubs in several sizes of Danís test sets. In the end we decided I was a size 15 in his fitting system from there.

From this, Dan then calculated my length and lie for each club based on his proprietary system to keep me in an athletic stance for each club. The results were somewhat unexpected to me based on what I have been told in the past. My irons are already custom +1Ē and based on the TLT system only my 4 iron is the correct length. Some of my clubs still require and extra 1-3Ē extending as well as changing the lies due to the extension of the clubs. The overall gap in length of my 4 iron through wedges is 1.5Ē. This made sense as I constantly feel like Iím bending over way too far and off balance when hitting my higher irons. Also, I mentioned to Dan that I had a hard time hitting my driver and 3 wood and we ended up shortening them based on the output of his model.

Iíve tried my woods and they are definitely much easier to hit. I have to take my irons back to Dan for the adjustments as I had a tournament the weekend after we met so I couldnít leave my clubs with him at the time but can not wait to try them.

For anyone contemplating seeing Dan for a fitting I highly recommend it. It is quite inexpensive and not only do you get a detailed fitting but Dan explains the science behind what he is doing so you get a better understanding and also he helped me with a f the quick pointers on how to address the ball properly. Lastly, although I didnít tak him up on the offer, had I wanted to leave my clubs with him for that weekend when I had to play he offered to let me use one of his custom sets if I wanted to leave my clubs.

Thanks again for everything Dan.

I'm only 5'9" and once I went down the TLT road with Dan 4-5 years ago, I cannot hit an off-the rack wedge any more as I find them far too short. My Lob-PW are all 36.25". I cannot image how such a tall person could hit a stock length wedge, even at +1". I'm sure you will find much better success once you get some practice time and rounds under your belt. You will undergo a "mindset change" in that you no longer need to make all these physical / stance / setup adjustments to get the club to the ball. You also have the added assurance that your set has been re-built & measured by a skilled practitioner. Hope to hear more of your successes next season !
    WITB: Sun Mountain 5.5LS
    Titleist 917 D2 8.5 with Evenflow T1100 White 65 Stiff
    Ping G400 14.5 with Alta 65 Stiff
    Titleist 915HD 20.5* with Accra FX300H

Mizuno MP-18 MMC 4-PW with Steelfiber i95 Regular HSx1
    Mizuno JPX-900F 50* with Steelfiber i125cw Stiff
    Nike VR Pro 54* & 60* with Steelfiber i125cw Stiff
    Edel E-3 Putter with Pure grip
    Nike RZN Platinum/Black

Comment

I did the TLT thing in the spring and I must say it has helped my ball striking immensely but the short irons needed some time to get use to. Bryson single length success is certainly changing the club fitting landscape.

Comment

Originally posted by ginrin View Post
        Bryson single length success is certainly changing the club fitting landscape.
        Not so much in the Pro ranks though
        Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Jason, what a great review of what I do and what I am known for. You saw personally as we continued to go through the fitting mini sets - where we slowly worked our way up to my Series 15 (my longest build). With your WTF we started at a Series 10 - which again had longer wedges than your previously (FIT to +1") only to discover that these were not even close to the length of wedge that you require.

You stated that your 4 iron is close to the same length (but I will be up-righting the lie angle 1 - 2 degrees) making the fit far superior, Then you state that your wedges are still probably a couple inches too short (even though they too are extended 1"). This is where TLT shines. Your wedges are too flat and too short - period. You looked like you stole a 12 year old's club with your extended wedge.

You are a bit of an exception due to your size. Most fitters would stop at + 1 " for every club, but as you saw through the TLT math model - your 4 iron is close, but your wedges are far from right.

I altered the standard TLT math model so I don't end up making a crazy long set as a whole. By progressively up-righting the lie I can keep your long clubs from getting too long - but there is no other way of getting your wedges where they need to be - longer and more upright.

In fact I shortened your driver from the OEM standard which they sell to guys that are 5'6 and less, and you saw great improvement - so why are the same 5'6 guys playing 46 1/2" drivers that they cannot even come close to hitting with any accuracy or consistency compared to you at 6'3 or so????

So looking forward to completing this project and hearing back from you of all the improvements that TLT has delivered.
          Regards
          Dan

Dan's Custom Golf Shop - Sponsor
          True Length Technology TM
          Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
          True Frequency Technology TM
          - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
          - Master
          Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
          - Advanced / Professional
          Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
          - Class 'A'

Phone : 905-263-8510
          Hampton, ON
          Appointment only
          Web site www.truelengthtechnology.com
          E-mail: danscustomgolfshop@hotmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by jwilhelm View Post
            Hi all,

I was in Oshawa for work two weeks ago and since I was in the area I got in touch with Dan based on recommendations from members of this forum.

To start, Iím not a tiny man. Iím 6í3 and not very flexible. Iíve always felt like Iím uncomfortably bending over to hit my irons. Contact with Dan was easy, I sent him a PM on here and he got back to me promptly. We arranged a late afternoon time but my work appointment ended by noon. I sent a text to Dan and he was able to accommodate me much earlier.

Now to the actual fitting. I was in for a retrofit as I had purchased some TaylorMade M4ís from a member here. When I arrived Dan first asked me about my favourite clubs to hit, the distance I hit with the clubs and my average score. We then went outside where Dan brought several of his small sets out. First I swung my own clubs and Dan showed me how unathletic my position was at address and had me pay attention to how much customer I had to dip in my swing to get the club to the ground. I then swung the same clubs in several sizes of Danís test sets. In the end we decided I was a size 15 in his fitting system from there.

From this, Dan then calculated my length and lie for each club based on his proprietary system to keep me in an athletic stance for each club. The results were somewhat unexpected to me based on what I have been told in the past. My irons are already custom +1Ē and based on the TLT system only my 4 iron is the correct length. Some of my clubs still require and extra 1-3Ē extending as well as changing the lies due to the extension of the clubs. The overall gap in length of my 4 iron through wedges is 1.5Ē. This made sense as I constantly feel like Iím bending over way too far and off balance when hitting my higher irons. Also, I mentioned to Dan that I had a hard time hitting my driver and 3 wood and we ended up shortening them based on the output of his model.

Iíve tried my woods and they are definitely much easier to hit. I have to take my irons back to Dan for the adjustments as I had a tournament the weekend after we met so I couldnít leave my clubs with him at the time but can not wait to try them.

For anyone contemplating seeing Dan for a fitting I highly recommend it. It is quite inexpensive and not only do you get a detailed fitting but Dan explains the science behind what he is doing so you get a better understanding and also he helped me with a f the quick pointers on how to address the ball properly. Lastly, although I didnít tak him up on the offer, had I wanted to leave my clubs with him for that weekend when I had to play he offered to let me use one of his custom sets if I wanted to leave my clubs.

Thanks again for everything Dan.
            What shafts did you end up going with? I would imagine that having some clubs extended up to 3 inches was not possible. They never recommend going more than 1.5" for those as they will cause too much strain on the attachment and frequently snap under the player's hands. Further, it counterbalances the shafts way too much, making the clubs feel much too heavy.
            Rogue Sub Zero 9* - Diamana BF Series 60 Stiff
            Rogue Sub Zero 13.5* - Fubuki V-Series 70 Stiff
            Rogue Sub Zero 18* - Diamana Thump 85 Stiff
            G700 4i - Diamana Thump 90h Stiff
            G700 5i-PW - Accra CWT 105 Master's Green
            Ping Glide Stealth 50/SS, 54/ES, 58/ES - Modus 105 Master's Green Wedge
            Bettinardi Inovai 3.0 - Stability

Comment

The shafts were custom +1 to start and now Dan will do his best to extend them as far as he can while keeping them reliable. At this point reshafting them all is out of my budget.

Not worried about the extra bit of swing weight as Iím a big guy and to be honest probably wonít even notice it.
              Last edited by jwilhelm; Nov 5, 2018, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Phatchrisrules View Post

What shafts did you end up going with? I would imagine that having some clubs extended up to 3 inches was not possible. They never recommend going more than 1.5" for those as they will cause too much strain on the attachment and frequently snap under the player's hands. Further, it counterbalances the shafts way too much, making the clubs feel much too heavy.
                We are not changing shafts at this point so 'what shafts are you going with? is not a consideration'.

I have some of the original shaft extensions that were originally offered thru Golfsmith that have a longer 'epoxy zone' that can reach near 3". I agree we are near the limits and will make swing weight numbers higher than most can handle - but my experience is - that bigger men do not seem to care that we have added a few grams - and a higher swing weight value - a value that seems to not carry much credibility any more.

What they do seem to care about is that for the first time in their life they can stand athletic. Swinging a bigger hammer seems to be in the category of - who cares - I am a giant of a man and a few grams is irrelevant.

We are still at the stage of trying to determine the final numbers and some form of deviation still may be required. I have not had the opportunity to measure the existing set to determine the degree of extension - but the real world is - this man needs to reach the extremes of club length in the club length world.

Perhaps a few re-shafts may be required - all of which will still have high swing weight values - but - men of this size really do not care that I have added / or increased a balance point number. All he really cares about is - for the first time in his life he can stand athletic and not be punished because the OEM 'standards' will not allow the true required length that this man requires.

Don't be afraid to break the OLD rules of what constitutes a great fit. A big man can swing a big hammer. I have lots of players that will confirm everything I state.
                Regards
                Dan

- Developer / Owner

- Master
                - Class 'A'

Hampton, ON
                Appointment only

Comment

I also am a tall man over the few decades of playing a tinkering I have found that what works best for me is inch over length from the 8 iron up and everything from the 9 iron down is the same length 2 degrees upright i use wedge shafts in 9 iron down to maintain the overall stiffness
                  I know is sounds strange but thats what works best for me

Comment

Glad you found something that works for you. jwilhelm's set as it came to me was all 1" over but typical OEM's were all over the place for lie angle. I increased the length progressively - starting where the 4 iron has remained the same - but all other lengths continued to grow - forcing him into a constant address position.

All the lie angles will be increased 2 - 3 upright but his shorter irons have grown in length substantially. He was squatting huge with everything above the 7 iron and looked very uncomfortable with the wedges I could not get them as long as I would have liked but re-shafting was not possible at this time. I went with extensions that max out at 2" so sort of had to do a small compromise above the PW. These were not originally at the +1" as were the rest of his set. We considered these a bit of a specialty club and will still be far more comfortable and will now be far more playable and accurate..
                    Regards
                    Dan

- Developer / Owner

- Master
                    - Class 'A'

Hampton, ON
                    Appointment only

Comment

https://youtu.be/9rtc88P036U

Came across this. Enjoy
                      ​I'll never go back to to standard. I enjoy TLT.

Comment

Just did my fitting with Dan. Very excited to hit the new clubs

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 164,208   Posts: 1,718,191   Members: 45,688   Active Members: 190
                        Welcome to our newest member, Kdaw11.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                        X