/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

3 length, not single length. Can it work?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 length, not single length. Can it work?

I am 6'3" with long arms and can make standard length work but rather be more upright. That said, the single length irons seem a bit too long on one end and too short on the other.

I currently have all my wedges with same length shafts as my 8i and this works great for me. A little weird to have a 1/2" shorter 9i but no big deal.

What I am looking into doing is making my 7-5i the length of my 5i and my 2-4 the length of my 3i (which i love and just suits my eye like nothing else).

I guess my question is if it makes sense to extend shafts when I regrip and get clubs bent for gapping purposes or just scrap my lil idea and go thru a fit and build? Right now my yardage gaps are really good...not perfect but fairly consistent. I'm worried that with the longer 7i I will have a yardage closer to my 5i and further from my 8i throwing off the yardage coverage I have in my bag.

Rhetorical Question: Why is it that a 7i is easier to hit than a 5i for most people ?
    I subscribe to the belief that the shorter the shaft, the better success one has.

Also keep in mind that Loft has a much greater influence on distance than shaft Length.
    I have read that Loft accounts for ~ 80% of a clubs distance

I am 5'9" and play my Lob-PW at 36.25" gripped length , which is a approx traditional 9i-8i length ( actually a 9.5i ).
    Long ago when I was a crappy golfer ( and 1" taller ), whatever set I had, my 8i was always my favourite club in the bag. When I met TLT-Dan and had a few sets built by him over the last 4-5 years, that's when it dawned on me that my 8i stance is my "most athletic position". Any shorter, then I am bending over to much, and much longer gets me standing too upright.

I have seen other builds where pairs of clubs are built SL, such as 9 & 8 SL, 7 & 6 SL, 5 & 4 SL
    There are many non-standard ways to build a set.
    In your case, you may have swing weight issues using traditional heads.
    Each iron head is typically 7g lighter/heavier then the next.
    You may need to add significant tip weights, or possibly drill out the hosels a bit deeper to remove excess mass.

FYI: my "non-standard" set these days are
    Lob-Sand-Gap-PW built SL @ 36.25"
    then 1/4" increments
    9i @ 36.5"
    8i @ 36.75"
    7i @ 37.0"
    then 3/8" increments
    6i @ 37.375"
    5i @ 37.75"
    4i @ 38.125"
    Progressive Swing Weight changes at .5 per club , and Lie Angles to my preference
    🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
    Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
    Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
    Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway | Evenflow White 60S
    Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
    Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
    Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
    Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

years back I played a set of Spalding Custom Crafted in which the length of the longer iron was tipped to match the next in line.
      ie. 3 tipped to match the 4 length.
      5 to 6, ,7 to 8, 9 to Pw, 56 to 60
      They played great.
      things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Yardage gaps should not be a problem. Directional consistency is the bigger concern unless you address the lie angles.

You will end up having a few swing weight swings as each little mini set has a 14g head weight range (3 clubs). This can also be reduced but club feel (for consistency may suffer).

Depending on what you plan for shafts is flex issues may also fall into the inconsistency category.

All this said - yes it can work and can work well but will require knowledge and the correct tools.

Let me know if I can help.
        Regards
        Dan

True Length Technology TM
        Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
        True Frequency Technology TM
        - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
        - Master
        Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
        - Advanced / Professional
        Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
        - Class 'A'

Comment

Originally posted by TLT Dan View Post
          You will end up having a few swing weight swings as each little mini set has a 14g head weight range (3 clubs). This can also be reduced but club feel (for consistency may suffer).

Depending on what you plan for shafts is flex issues may also fall into the inconsistency category.
          Seems like this will require a proper fit anyway and just arbitrarily altering lengths and getting clubs bent to improve lie may not get better results than what I am getting now.

I don't put much stock in flex as i have a slow tempo and easy transition so even tho I play stiffs in irons i have played senior flex with success. The swing weight and feel is something i didn't really consider and given how i love the feel of these 25y.o. clubs, I really wouldn't want to mess with that.

May take a cpl years, but as a tall guy who likes to play upright, I will be seeing you eventually Dan. Thanks

Comment

Hey no problem. As far as arbitrary lie bending relative to length - that's not me - never. My entire program is 100% math modelled and only TLT (and single length) will give you superior directional control through consistency that i build into the program - regardless of your size.

Random adjustments are never in my play book.

Everything I do is about keeping you into a singular athletic address position (for every club) and having the resultant lie angle mathematically correct to improve directional control. Most fitters will adjust your lie angles independently based on todays swing. Problem is tomorrows swing may be different.

TLT - by forcing you into a very consistent address will aid in developing muscle memory - with a resultant consistency in ball flight patterns. Feedback from my players is always about how the directional control has been superior to any of their past, and as a set, not as individual clubs.
            Last edited by TLT Dan; Nov 18, 2018, 08:18 PM. Reason: additional info about TLT
            Regards
            Dan

True Length Technology TM
            Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
            True Frequency Technology TM
            - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
            - Master
            Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
            - Advanced / Professional
            Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
            - Class 'A'

Comment

I am also 6'3' tall and I also have a strange set make up
              all my irons are 11/4 inch over length than my 9 thru lob are the same length
              I sometimes carry 3 hybrids that are also 1 inch longer
              3 wood is 44 "
              Driver is 46"

Comment

If Dan can make the numbers work the clubs will perform. For me personally using single length clubs the only time I run into trouble is the top end. I just don't have the swing speed for some of the shorter shaft / lower loft combos. But 100% from 6 iron thru 62* I play better using SL and I don't have any gapping issues with the shaft length changes.

Actually I guess I use 2 lengths cause my wedges are slightly shorter... 36.4" for them and 36.7" for the rest... +0.1" on the 5/6 iron just to assist with launch.
                Bag: PING Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Floral
                Driver: TM SIM2 MAX @ 10.5*
                Wood: TM SIM2 MAX @ 15*
                Hybrids: TM SIM2 22*
                Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW
                Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60*
                Putter: SGC WB Northwood
                Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Comment

Looking at the full bag I play 3 lengths, My woods play at very slight different lengths 42.75-43" but identical impact length Driver-4wood-7wood. Irons 5-P play 36.5". 52-58 play at 35.25". Now all this may go to ***** if the lure of the BECU EYE2's sitting I'm my bag prove to be too strong.....

Comment

Originally posted by Left behind View Post
                    Looking at the full bag I play 3 lengths, My woods play at very slight different lengths 42.75-43" but identical impact length Driver-4wood-7wood. Irons 5-P play 36.5". 52-58 play at 35.25". Now all this may go to ***** if the lure of the BECU EYE2's sitting I'm my bag prove to be too strong.....
                    I can keep those Eye2s safe for you... Help to avoid and unwanted luring.

Comment

Originally posted by jburns View Post

I may have to take you up on that. My resistance is weakening every time I look at them. I'm 90% of the way to convincing myself to order a set of sterlings as well. The Pinhawks perform wee and all, but they're not the nicest club to look down at.....

Comment

I've been really happy with mine and shooting some of my best rounds with them. Still however want to build my Ping bag just cause. I have a set of Eye2+ I found at a garage sale that I may play here and there just because.

Comment

Originally posted by jburns View Post

I know a few people who would help that issue .

Comment

Originally posted by nearace View Post

I know a few people who would help that issue .
                            it's what friends do for friends!

Comment

OP....I've been playing with Edel SL irons for over a year (3-7) at 6 iron length. My 8-LW were at 7 iron length.

Next year I am adding the Edel 8-9 at 7 iron length and am going to play the wedges at PW standard lengths.

As I found during my Edel fitting, just way to much spin on longer wedges and, frankly, that was the result in practice as well. When I went back to regular length wedges I just hit them better.

SL was a great decision for me in the 3-7 as I was really solid but the benefit isn't the same in the shorter clubs. This is actually what I predicted in my original post when I defended just getting the 3-7....plus they were pricey as heck.
                              I like big putts and I cannot lie
                              You other putters can't deny
                              That when a putt goes in with an itty bitty pace
                              You're gonna fist pump in their face - Sir Putts-A-Lot

It's how well you golf fast!!!!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X